The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Default Video Games From 80's/90's

Anyone else have fond memories of those games? I had all the home consoles like the NES and SNES and played a lot of PC games like the Sierra Adventure Games (King's Quest/Space Quest/Quest For Glory/Leisure Suit Larry) and of course Doom.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I loved going to the local drug store to play Centipede! No game consoles at my house, ever.

I remember Leisure Suit Larry! That made the rounds of the office and was an excellent time waster.

Never had any games at home but I loved playing Centipede, Ms PacMan and Joust - all made better with beer.

2 members found this post helpful.

The guy who created Larry is bringing back the franchise since he now owns the rights. He's got a re-make in development right now.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I remember Leisure Suit Larry and Castle Wolfenstein. Heck, I also played text games (all were at the office during lulls). I loved Leather Goddesses of Phobos. I got it without any of the supporting docs and had to figure out and decide everything on my own and the programmers had some funny responses to my frustrated directions.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

We didn't have a computer until 1990, but I was an avid arcade game player. We did have an Intellivision, but the games were pretty basic. I wore it out playing Burger Time. Once we had a real computer at home I started playing Civilization and Railroad Tycoon. Now playing Civ V on Steam. Steam just brought back one of our old favorites - Commander Keen.

I only played one video game one time in my childhood, at my cousin's when I was like eight or nine. It was Super Mario. A few years ago when my boyfriend bought a Wii, I got that game and basically locked myself in the house for three weeks playing it and indulging in the childhood I never had!!

I loved Frogger, and paid a whole DOLLAR for the Kindle version. :-) In 2000 or so we used to play Age of Empires after work across the test network until upper management got pissy about it.

I was pretty shook up after 911 since it took hours to hear from Mr P. He had left the house that morning saying he had to leave early to be at a meeting. That often meant the Pentagon. The company closed our facility but two friends knew I was really shaken so we stayed playing Age of Empires.

The facility was/is in Fredericksburg VA and several of us had connections at the Pentagon

My children LOVED Pittfall on the Commodore 64.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I had the original Nintendo, 8-bit system. I spent hours playing Super Mario Brothers and used to know all the short cuts. Also spent a lot of time playing Duck Hunt with the Zapper gun (right in front of the TV of course ). Then it was Dr. Mario, but I could never beat the last level (level 81 I think). Kirby used to give me fits for some reason. My sister got me the Kirby Wii game for Christmas but I have yet to play it. And I'm stuck halfway through world 8 in Super Mario Brothers Wii. The horse has taken up most of my free time.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I still have huge numbers of those Games--Dr. Brain, The Incredible Machine, all the King's Quests, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry. I spent hours with a game called Castle. Had Civilization and all the Sim City people's games. Had a wonderful one sort of like Civilization that I cannot currently remember the name of in which I was GOD. I also had one in which I was busy building a worldwide trading empire in the mid 1700's. Can't remember the name of that one either. Had one where I was a surgeon, but can't remember the name of it either.

Whatever happened to Sierra, anyhow?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I do recall the games you are talking about. One was Populous, I think. The doctor game had a long series that went so far as post y2K with one or two hand-held versions. Sierra was sold to a shady company in the mid-90's after some expansion and then ended up sold again to Vivendi Universal. It's dead as a company but many of the old school game developers have re-makes in development through their own companies. The founders are making a follow-up to Quest For Glory. Look them up! You can also get re-makes of the KQ games that have been done by fans. Beautiful stuff!

Nostalgic for Myst...

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNeon01 View Post
    And I'm stuck halfway through world 8 in Super Mario Brothers Wii. The horse has taken up most of my free time.
    Those pesky horses! We also have Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. Finished all the worlds, got the bonus levels, but have been going back to find all the extras. One of our favorite Wii games is Epic Mickey, and now Epic Mickey 2.

I still have my Nintendo and my Super Nintendo. The boyfriend and I had a "Super Nintendo" day about a year ago and played Mario 3 for hours, so I know the Super still works, not sure about the original (haven't tried it in many years).

When I was a kid, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game was my favorite. Never could beat it though. Also the Turtles arcade game was awesome. And I loved Centipede as well. The local bar has one of the original Frogger flat-top Frogger games and whenever we stop in we play a few.

When I was probably in 6th grade we got our first computer. We didn't have the internet until I was in 8th or 9th grade, all we had at the time were computer games. Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Commander Keen, etc. I became so good at Wolfenstein I think I could beat the whole game in about 8 minutes.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I never had any game consoles at home, so was never much into playing games (and still am not....biggest waste of time in my book!). My sister's live in boyfriend had a Nintendo, so I would play Mario and Duck Hunt when I was there. Occasionally, I got to play Zelda at a friend's house, and played Sonic at another friend's. For the record, I sucked at ALL of them

I did love me some Oregon Trail at school in the computer lab, though. Best computer game ever!!

Oh, and Tetris. I loved and still love Tetris.

Last edited by LexInVA; Apr. 18, 2013 at 03:34 PM.

This was the game for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOKWCpwGfM Be careful-it results in earworm!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Computer games for me was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail. We had one computer in the school library and I always played those two games when I was able to get on the computer.

Now video games the original mario brothers and super mario brothers 3 were awesome. I also liked Legend of zelda and Road Rash. There was something about beating someone off a motorcycle and winning the race!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Apple panic on the original apple in the 80s. Loved bashing the apples over the head with the shovels.'
    Star Trek in the 70s. Type in the direction to hit the 'klarnons' and a minute later, the printer would print out your next screen.
    and Adventure - where you could end up in a maze of 'twisty little paths running east and west' or 'little twisty paths running east and west'.