The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TickleFight View Post
    So... since gun owners are so hell bent on protecting the rights of Americans, where were they when the Patriot Act or NDAA were passed? US citizens have lost a lot of rights in the past decade, and I didn't see one gun owner take a stand against blatant - and unconstitutional - authoritarianism.
    Didn't talk to me about Patriot Act or NDAA did you?

I am a staunch believer in the Second Amendment and was very disappointed that the PA was signed and extended in the hand wringing name of keeping the people safe and forget your right to privacy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    My 2 senators represent the NRA, because the money comes from there; and then secondly, the bigots because they vote their convictions.

And I own guns, plural, always have. But I believe in background checks. Which are not going to keep law abiding gun owners from owning guns. I guess if the NRA leaders had to take psychological tests, they fear they might not pass the "sanity" issue to own a gun?
    Luckily, my Senators are not in the NRA's pocket--and also represent the views of a majority (thought obviously, not all) people in my state. And yes, bigots not only vote on their convictions, but the crazy people are also the ones blowing up any lawmakers phones and mailboxes night and day with rants about whatever. As in most things in life, the squeakiest gear gets the oil...

I'm so glad you wrote what I put into bold--nobody has been able to explain what is so horrifically bad about background checks to weed out say, a convicted murderer or paranoid schizophrenic who has spent time in psychiatric care from acquiring a weapon. All I hear is some insane screaming about "confiscation" or a "national gun registry" which is not in any way supported by fact. :-|

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post

This lack of faith in so many things that affect us daily is leading to a truly paranoid nation, and quite honestly that scares me.

The
    THIS times a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Luckily, my Senators are not in the NRA's pocket--and also represent the views of a majority (thought obviously, not all) people in my state. And yes, bigots not only vote on their convictions, but the crazy people are also the ones blowing up any lawmakers phones and mailboxes night and day with rants about whatever. As in most things in life, the squeakiest gear gets the oil...

I'm so glad you wrote what I put into bold--nobody has been able to explain what is so horrifically bad about background checks to weed out say, a convicted murderer or paranoid schizophrenic who has spent time in psychiatric care from acquiring a weapon. All I hear is some insane screaming about "confiscation" or a "national gun registry" which is not in any way supported by fact. :-|
    The bill had over 800 pages, now tell me what the other 799 pages were banning, and then perhaps we can tell you why we dont trust the legislation that comes from this administration!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    The Second Amendment and the partiot act are two totally different things.
    Constitutional rights are constitutional rights; let's not split hairs. Our citizenry has been forced to give up many of them, but I have not seen a single gun owner stand up in defense. And yet, that is the rhetoric most often used by gun owners... that gun ownership somehow protects our country from our government and it's dubious intentions. To date it simply has not happened.

The recent gun law was voted down because of the NRA... an organization with only 4.5 million members. That's 1.5% of the population.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Trust me... I abhore the Patriot Act as much as I abhore the recent assault on the 2nd Amendment.

Happy now?
    Ditto.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    The bill had over 800 pages, now tell me what the other 799 pages were banning, and then perhaps we can tell you why we dont trust the legislation that comes from this administration!
    Who was it that said "We won't tell you what's in it until it passes" (re: healthcare)? I think it was Pelosi?

I agree, I do not trust this administration. I'm glad the bill failed because who the heck knows what else was in it.

And I loathe every last thing about the Patriot Act and NDAA - they're unconstitutional and an infringement upon our rights.

I'm rather terrified of the frightening number of people who feel that the nanny state this entire country is becoming is the way to go.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I want to share this article about a survey of police officers..these are our protectors and here is what THEY think about guns and who should have them.
    http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legisla...-gun-violence/
    DB, This law enforcement survey was an opt-in poll.

IOW You had to sign in to take the poll.
    And, there was no restriction on how many times someone took the poll.

Not exactly the most accurate way to ensure a true measurement of opinion.

that gun ownership somehow protects our country from our government and it's dubious intentions. To date it simply has not happened.
    Hummm, tell that to the early colonists in their fight against the British (who was their government at the time).

I do not trust the government. I do think about who I choose to cast my vote for during elections.

5 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I certainly wouldn't trust that poll if Sonny Crocket presented it to me. PoliceOne has ALL of the firearms manufacturers as PAID SPONSORS as well as many companies that sell tactical accessories and provide military-style self-defense training. It's in their best interest to present such surveys as a sign that LEOs stand with the NRA, which many DO NOT. As a former LEO, I can tell you that many here in the DC area are for more gun control - specifically the elimination of private sales without background checks - and will tell anyone who asks not to buy a gun.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

Constitutional rights are constitutional rights; let's not split hairs. Our citizenry has been forced to give up many of them, but I have not seen a single gun owner stand up in defense. And yet, that is the rhetoric most often used by gun owners... that gun ownership somehow protects our country from our government and it's dubious intentions. To date it simply has not happened.

The recent gun law was voted down because of the NRA... an organization with only 4.5 million members. That's 1.5% of the population.
    "Has simply not happened?" Ever study any American History? Ever hear of the American Revolution? If that's too far back for you how about asking the Lakota about the "gun control initiative" that today is called the Wounded Knee Massacre. And if that's not current enough you can Google the Battle of Athens (that's TN, not Greece) of 1946. I won't even mention the several hundred Black people lynched between 1865 and the 1970s.

Government is like fire. In a furnace or a stove it's a powerful servant. Without control its a cruel and deadly master.

G.

P.S. If the NRA is that powerful why don't we hire them to bring peace to the Koreas and the Middle East? Why don't we engage them to improve the quality of schools? How about we put them to work rebuilding the industrial economy? I'm sure their fees would be less than and the results would be better than the efforts of the current Gang of 535 + 1.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

5 members found this post helpful.

Taking up arms against the government? That's called treason. We have a republic for a reason. Don't like your government, vote in a new one.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Taking up arms against the government? That's called treason. We have a republic for a reason. Don't like your government, vote in a new one.
    Close but not quite as I read it. Treason is acting to overthrow the government. If I am defending myself against government, that would not be treason.

4 members found this post helpful.

Good luck against drones and the black helicopters.

Here you go, read it and weep.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C115.txt

CITE-
    18 USC Sec. 2383 01/03/2012 (112-90)

-EXPCITE-
    TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    PART I - CRIMES
    CHAPTER 115 - TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES

-HEAD-
    Sec. 2383. Rebellion or insurrection

-STATUTE-
    Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any
    rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United
    States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall
    be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or
    both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United
    States.

-SOURCE-
    (June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103-322, title
    XXXIII, Sec. 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    Hummm, tell that to the early colonists in their fight against the British (who was their government at the time).

That's about the most ill-informed comparison I've ever read on this forum. Way to use an example that's over 200 years old and is almost totally irrelevant.

First of all, the second amendment was needed at that time because our country had no standing army either before or after its writing. By default, gun owners were private citizens. We now have a standing army and the threat of invasion by foreign powers is a pretty laughable notion.

Second, we are now the overbearing empire bent on enforcing our policies overseas. Using your own comparison, we are now Great Britain and many poor people around the world - but namely in the Middle East - are the colonials fighting for their freedom from our tyranny.

Either way, do you really think that your guns will be any help against a drone? I think a lot of people in Pakistan may have an opinion on that matter.

And further (same link above):

PCITE-
    TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    PART I - CRIMES
    CHAPTER 115 - TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES

-HEAD-
    Sec. 2384. Seditious conspiracy

-STATUTE-
    If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place
    subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to
    overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the
    United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force
    the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the
    execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize,
    take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the
    authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or
    imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

-SOURCE-
    (June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; July 24, 1956, ch. 678, Sec.
    1, 70 Stat. 623; Pub. L. 103-322, title XXXIII, Sec. 330016(1)(N),
    Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

OP asked:
    Who do our Senators represent?

I give up, who??

I really do not know WHO they represent. UNCLE!

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    OP asked:
    Who do our Senators represent?

I give up, who??

I really do not know WHO they represent. UNCLE!
    Their bank accounts. Well maybe except for Bernie Sanders. I think he's there for his voters. Like his politics or not, you have to respect him.

LauraKY, I never said anything about overthrowing, putting down or destroying the government. I said I was defending myself...

TickleFight, guess we'll have to agree to disagree (albeit that I won't call your comments ill-informed). Depends on your interpretation of the 2nd if only a standing militia was intended or also self-defense.

Check out this link to learn about a group who declared war against the US government and US society. Almost all of the surviving members of this group are or have been teachers or college professors. Our current President announced his candidacy n their home.
    http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/w...und/index.html
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim