The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Who do our Senators represent?

Should our Senators vote the will of the people or their own self interests? I am absolutely gobsmacked the modest expansion of background checks for guns was voted down.

90% of voters wanted an increase in background checks, hence my question.

7 members found this post helpful.

If people are disgusted, they should start RIGHT NOW finding, funding and promoting better candidates. Planning and action are absolutes.
    We tend to sit back hoping someone else will solve our problems. They will, but probably not to our liking.

9 members found this post helpful.

Silly OP, they represent corporate America.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

17 members found this post helpful.

lobbyists, of course!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnow View Post
    Should our Senators vote the will of the people or their own self interests? I am absolutely gobsmacked the modest expansion of background checks for guns was voted down.

90% of voters wanted an increase in background checks, hence my question.
    Can you cite where that 90% statistic came from?

8 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Themselves, lobbyists, etc.

Personally, I think saying the gun control checks were supported by 90% of Americans is wrong. The media controls polling. It's always skewed to their agenda--which changes from channel to channel based on the parent corporation.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

10 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I certainly want more gun control. Here in VA, we have a serious problem with gun resellers who sell to anyone who can pay cash in "Trunk Transactions" and many of those guns end up in the hands of criminals or those who would be disqualified in a background check.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

7 members found this post helpful.

BabyGoose
    Can you cite where that 90% statistic came from?

"Nine in 10 Americans support expanding background checks on gun purchases in a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll, an extraordinary level of agreement on a political issue and a finding that’s been duplicated in nearly every major public poll."

2 members found this post helpful.

They represent whatever will get them re-elected, including but not limited to the people and entities that most fund their campaigns, and/or whatever flavor-of-the-month issue comes up and sounds cool around election time. Sometimes that includes corporate america, sometimes it doesn't. My industry gets the snot beat out of it by Washington on a regular basis.

I take those polls with a grain of salt. They poll a small number of people and oftentimes the questions are loaded to get the answers they want. I saw one poll that showed something like 99% favor gun bans etc. etc. Turns out it was a media poll conducted in Connecticut right after Sandy Hook. You can manipulate statistics to say pretty much what you want them to say. Especially the small media polls and even some of the larger polls conducted by companies. It all depends on who is funding the poll.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

Personally, I think saying the gun control checks were supported by 90% of Americans is wrong. The media controls polling. It's always skewed to their agenda--which changes from channel to channel based on the parent corporation.
    Absolutely correct. My reps did a great job representing the interests of Texans and those of us that believe in the Constitution.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

13 members found this post helpful.

I don't think we can complain about what our elected officials do unless we actively communicate what we want to them and their staff. I know a lot of people who get all worked up about things, but they never send an email, make a phone call, volunteer in any capacity to make their opinions known.

As others have said, if you don't like what's being done, get out and get involved in electing someone who you agree with.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've become really cynical in my old age. Senators represent nothing but their own personal interests, which are typically increasing their own personal fortunes and power. Even people who might come into the Senate as idealistic do-gooders are rapidly corrupted by the system.

If ever a Senator seems to be representing your interests, rest assured that it's only because he sees that as the best way to achieve his own personal interests. The fact that he is satisfying your desires is just a happy accident.

Regarding polls, I don't trust any of them. It is very easy to construct a poll that will give you whatever response you want simply by wording the questions in a specific way. For example:

Question 1: If a person is in a mental hospital, should he be allowed to buy a gun?
    Question 2: Should a convicted murderer with anger management issues be allowed to buy a gun?

Poll results: 90% of people support gun control!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

As far as stricter gun laws, doesn't Chicago have some of the toughest restrictions yet remains one of the most violent cities in the nation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/us...anted=all&_r=0

Again, gun laws only affect law abiding citizens, not criminals.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    I've become really cynical in my old age. Senators represent nothing but their own personal interests, which are typically increasing their own personal fortunes and power. Even people who might come into the Senate as idealistic do-gooders are rapidly corrupted by the system.

If ever a Senator seems to be representing your interests, rest assured that it's only because he sees that as the best way to achieve his own personal interests. The fact that he is satisfying your desires is just a happy accident.

Regarding polls, I don't trust any of them. It is very easy to construct a poll that will give you whatever response you want simply by wording the questions in a specific way. For example:

Question 1: If a person is in a mental hospital, should he be allowed to buy a gun?
    Question 2: Should a convicted murderer with anger management issues be allowed to buy a gun?

Poll results: 90% of people support gun control!
    You mean the other 10% are the two guys you talked about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yes Kathy S. you live in Texas. You must be so proud of your elected officials, Rick Perry and Ted Cruz. LOL

9 members found this post helpful.

They, and any other elected official, represent their own pocket-books, jumping on whatever bandwagon will please voters then go ahead and do what they please. As one local politician, now retired and not elected again, put it when he didn't think anyone from the press (that long ago) heard him: "I am Ottawa's representative to you, not your representative to Ottawa and I WILL tell you what is good for you and what you need". I think this applies south of the border as well, or in any country, just substitute your own national capital.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Sorry, this poll was a joke and you can't 90% of people to agree on whether it's raining or snowing. It's all how the question is asked (I learned how to skew polls in statistics classes in college). The poll was crap and didn't reflect reality or the people...only the Bidens/Obamas and Bloomburgs who hate when serfs have guns and think they're citizens.

Senators should reflect their states...it was better when they weren't popularly elected, but appointed by their states...less influence from lobbyists from outside the states.

Liberals forget Philadelphia isn't representative of PA, Baltimore isn't MD, Boston isn't MASS,NY City isn't NY and LA isn't Californina. Just because the liberal MSM hates something doesn't mean the rest of the country should listen and do what they say.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

11 members found this post helpful.

They simple asked themselves, "What do I value more, the safety of the people I represent, or my cushy job that will make me an easy mint?"

We now know their answer.