The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've been on BC for over 21 years. Currently on the 3 month pill. So only 4 periods a year. I've heard I can continue taking the "active" pills and skip the "sugar" ones and not have a period at all. But for some reason, I don't think that is healthy. Thoughts?

PS - No side effects for me really. I did notice that I tend to break out a little bit more than I used to since I started taking the 3 month pill (years ago). I started BC because of a medical issue. The "not having a baby" thing was just a bonus.

Quote from wendy
    "well, they have birth control methods available that stop you from cycling- continuous birth control pills are the easiest, but you can also get IUD's that stop your period cold. Obviously if you never have M, you also won't ever have PMS. I don't why so many women continue to inflict unnecessary periods on themselves; better living through chemistry is available, easy, and may actually help protect you from certain cancers."

So you are anti spay/neuter since all those hormones are healthy for the dogs but for women you recommend hey just turn those hormones off. If you think that spaying and neutering and eliminating or manipulating normal hormones is bad for a dogs long term health why would you think that it is just fine and dandy for a human? Really, I am having a tough time with this logic.

Why tolerate my monthly visitor? Gee, I got blood clots in my legs from The Pill when I was 19. I was lucky and happened to mention to my GP that I kept getting these buises on my thighs. I thought it was from working at the barn and bumping things. GP did a blood test and pulled me from the pill right quick. No doctor in their right mind would prescribe BC pills to me- ever. I am a bit gunshy on the whole IUD that releases the hormones for the same reason. Having a stroke is so not on my bucket list.
    Last edited by SonnysMom; Apr. 22, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Quote didn't pull over - copied in
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

OP, I feel your pain. I get HORRIBLY emotional around my period, but I can still cry at the drop of a hat nearly anytime of the month.

I was on BC (the pill) for about six years...from just before I met my now-husband until the time he had a vasectomy. Then, I dropped the BC because I did feel like a big ol' schlub on it.

Physically, I feel better off BC...emotionally, I'm much more sensitive. DH knows what gets me, so if a certain commercial comes on or we're watching a movie and an emotional scene is happening, he'll watch me. That makes it so much better! /sarcasm/

Oh well...I'm happy with where I am physically, so I'll just cope with the emotions, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Yes. I had my tubes tied when I was younger than 30, and so went off birth control for quite awhile. The last two years, I noticed that instead of being a little crabby right before my period, for the last two weeks of the month I was in full on raging b*tch mode. Like, my patience? Completely gone. Angry angry angry.

First I tried a tri-phasic, and it helped a little. I mostly tried it because my cramps were so bad that 8 advil wouldn't kill them, and even the heavy prescription drugs, which made me stupid, didn't take the pain away...they just made me stupid.

Now I'm on a "full" regular pill and OMG the difference. Night and day. Do I still get crabby? Sure, but it's not the same type. I'm way more optimistic, like my old self. Hormones have a serious affect on your mood...I'd give it a shot, were I you.
    I was in the same boat.......had my tubes tied at age 25 and went off the pill. After a few years started having bad periods and for the first time PMS. I went back on the pill and have been for almost 15 years. I have NO PMS symptoms at all and I take the pill for 3 months straight and only have a period once a quarter (which is fabulous)!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I really did not want to mess with hormonal b/c personally. So many horror stories of weight gain, skin, libido, mood etc issues really scared me off. In addition I suffer from infrequent but severe migraines and I believe hormones are one of my triggers. Did not want to tangle with that, so I went with a copper IUD which has worked very well so far. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and it hurt like a mothereffer at the time but no problems since. Mirena (the hormonal IUD) often makes your shark week go away but no guarantee. Lots of people do have really good luck with hormonal b/c. Part of the issue is that you may have to try several before figuring out the right one, and some can make it worse. That scared me off a lot, but it's Certainly worth looking into anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    I've been on BC for over 21 years. Currently on the 3 month pill. So only 4 periods a year. I've heard I can continue taking the "active" pills and skip the "sugar" ones and not have a period at all. But for some reason, I don't think that is healthy. Thoughts?

PS - No side effects for me really. I did notice that I tend to break out a little bit more than I used to since I started taking the 3 month pill (years ago). I started BC because of a medical issue. The "not having a baby" thing was just a bonus.
    There is absolutely no medical reason that one has to have a period (according to the docs/NPs I've talked to).

My reasoning for wanting one is not a health one, but to be sure I don't have an unwanted visitor...