The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

well, they have birth control methods available that stop you from cycling- continuous birth control pills are the easiest, but you can also get IUD's that stop your period cold. Obviously if you never have M, you also won't ever have PMS. I don't why so many women continue to inflict unnecessary periods on themselves; better living through chemistry is available, easy, and may actually help protect you from certain cancers.

4 members found this post helpful.

FWIW... I'm 31 and been on BC for 10 years almost non-stop. I went off for about six months when I was 24 or so, and decided that was the dumbest idea ever.

I get teary every now and then, and completely NOT related to wherever I might be in my cycle. I think it's the biological clock thing, as I've opted to stay on BC and not have little annoying versions of myself running around. I get a throb of regret from time to time, maybe tear up at a baby commercial or seeing a cute toddler in the grocery store, but that's it. So it could be that, and not necessarily some whacko hormones. I just go with the flow and know that I'll be back to normal in about 2.8 minutes.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have a Mirena IUD because birth control pills made my emotions INSANE. Also, I was bad at taking them at the same time every time. Apparently if you have had kids, the insertion is easier. I found it...EXTREMELY uncomfortable and painful, but the pain lasted about 5 minutes, then just crampy and uncomfortable for the rest of the day, all fine the next day. I've had it for about 1.5 years, and it's great.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    but you can also get IUD's that stop your period cold.
    Sorry to stray from the OP, but can you please enlighten me as to which IUDs you are referring? The only ones I know of are the Mirena and the copper IUDs and my OBGYN made it perfectly clear that I would have a period on the copper IUD, and while its possible to not have one while using Mirena, that is not always the case, in fact, some women go back to having a regular period while using Mirena.

I am unaware of any IUDs available today that come with a guarantee to stop your cycle.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

You might also ask about anti-anxiety meds. I had god-awful PMS and was downright mean/nasty/emotionally hurtful to anyone in my path. I went on a low dose of zoloft and it has helped immensely.

A bit off topic but reading about all the pain with IUD insertion is freaking me out a bit. I am probably going to get Mirena (waiting on insurance info) as I have too many risk factors to take anything with estrogen. I have noticed that changes in my period (pain, irregularity) seem to be a bit related to my weight. I lost about 40 pounds over the last year and my PMS symptoms including cramps got worse. Hope that the Mirena will stop my periods as other than that my Dr said there is nothing I can do but treat the symptoms (no really- I love staying up until 4 AM thinking about what outfits would be cute and what I might want to add to my spring wardrobe).

I don't why so many women continue to inflict unnecessary periods on themselves; better living through chemistry is available, easy, and may actually help protect you from certain cancers.
    Because effing with your hormones for years and years is not something that everybody wants to do.

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mirena now; I did NOT love it when she was putting it in!!! The next day I had no cramping, minimal spotting. Within three days that had stopped as well. I had it put in on March 26th this year, so not quite a month ago. We'll see if the periods disappear or randomly appear for weeks on end...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Because effing with your hormones for years and years is not something that everybody wants to do.

That's one of the reasons I resisted it. Also stupid doctors who said things like "this is normal" and "you're not old enough for your hormone levels to be fluctuating" and "it's all in your head". It was about to be a boot to the head if they kept it up!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't why so many women continue to inflict unnecessary periods on themselves; better living through chemistry is available, easy, and may actually help protect you from certain cancers.
    And because it can kill you (or me, rather. Some 3-8% of people of european descent have the specific gene mutation I have, and many others have one of several other clotting disorders. Coupled with hormonal birth control = ticking time bomb)

I probably sound like a crazy person, but with so many people taking the stuff, we've really convinced ourselves it's harmless. For a lot of people, it's not. Unfortunately it's not standard to rule out clotting disorders before putting people on BC....
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.

well, they have birth control methods available that stop you from cycling- continuous birth control pills are the easiest, but you can also get IUD's that stop your period cold. Obviously if you never have M, you also won't ever have PMS. I don't why so many women continue to inflict unnecessary periods on themselves; better living through chemistry is available, easy, and may actually help protect you from certain cancers.
    Or CAUSE cancer if you are in a risk group. BC is definitely NOT a one-size-fits-all.
    Alis volat propriis.

You should talk to your doctor about this. Find out which is best for you, based on your health and the history in your family, for strokes, high blood pressure, etc.

Absolutely I will talk to my doc. Just wanted some general opinions and others experiences.

There are a variety of good reasons not to take chemical birth control--be sure to get blood work done (not just for hormones but to check anything unusual, especially as mood swings can come from other things than hormones), and be very forthcoming with your doctor about any other conditions. If you have aura migraines, for example--no hormones. It ups your stroke risk well over the normal mild increased risk the pill and other hormone BC therapies cause.

It could help *if* those emotional roller coasters are in fact tied to your hormones. But it's also important to note that not every brand of BC works for everyone and particularly with the pill you have to find which one "meshes" with your body. Some could actually make you more emotional, while another could be just right. Which one has which effects is different for everyone. The biggest issue I see first-time pill users have is assuming that if one pill isn't working for them, none of them will.

FWIW, I like that certain pills clear up my skin and I know when my period should come and how long it will last. It was like a little check every month. You can also choose to skip a month occasionally if, for example, you're going on vacation. However I was pretty bad at remembering to take it every day, so I'm now waiting for my IUD to come in.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I'm 30 and I've been on some kind of BC pill since I was 16, non-stop. A friend of mine is 43 and she's been on it over 20 years.

I do realize that it is not one-size-fits-all, but I'm not sure that me or my friend are messing with our hormones anymore than our predecessors that had a baby a year for 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    I'm 30 and I've been on some kind of BC pill since I was 16, non-stop. A friend of mine is 43 and she's been on it over 20 years.

I do realize that it is not one-size-fits-all, but I'm not sure that me or my friend are messing with our hormones anymore than our predecessors that had a baby a year for 20 years?
    Well, it's not really the same thing, is it?

One of my issues with hormones is that it isn't standard practice for any hormone testing before or after prescribing it to see a) if your hormone levels were normal to begin with; and b) if you are responding normally. When I went through infertility testing/treatment, I responded to a standard drug (clomid) like a small population of asian women (I am caucasian) and had massive over-responses (think Octo-mom). This drug is often prescribed with no monitoring as well. Scary!

I wonder what my body was doing while I was on BCPs in the years before then? I wonder if birth control "failures" happen because the hormone level isn't right for every woman? Or maybe it's too much? Who knows, because it doesn't get checked. I can say that after our IF treatment, I was very wary of hormones for me - and did not go back on BCPs...no way.

I was on BC for about 15 months and went back to my doc because I felt like utter crap.

She ran some tests, told me I was fine and just stressed.

Consulted with some medical professional friends and they all agreed- stop the pill.

Stopped the pill. Feel much better.

I had a tubal 4 years ago. Me on hormonal birth control = stark raving psycho bitch...and thats definitely not an option! I am also allergic to latex (yeah....lovely). So its definitely been a struggle. I do have weepy goofy moments, especially around my cycle (and I understand crying at a gas station...the most random things can trigger me when I'm feeling all "girl-brained" as my friends call it). I'd rather have the "girl-brain" than the hormone induced craze. I do have to say if I could stop my period without it (and without a full hysterectomy) I'd do it in a heartbeat, as mine are excruciating and LONG.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    Needless to say, I'd really like to be a normal human being again, would birth control help any of that?
    Makes you a little more sympathetic for the mares doesn't it?