The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A question for the ladies...

So please excuse me if I come off as naive, but I have never been on a birth control pill, shot or IUD, so I have a few questions. First being that I have noticed as I get older my emotions are going wild especially about a week before my TOM. For example, a Beneful commercial brought me to tears last night. Driving to work today, I almost cried when I saw...a Speedway gas station? Needless to say, I'd really like to be a normal human being again, would birth control help any of that?

I've been told some type of birth control would help. I'm in my mid 40s and don't use any birth control, and I get PMS so bad I'd like to curl up in a corner in the fetal position and just cry for one day a month. I'm also snippy, paranoid and over reactive.

The Pill did help me with that, but I know it doesn't always for everyone! I was worried when I went off it to get an IUD that I'd go back to being insanely emotional, but so far so good, going on 6 months!

It's definitely worth asking your gyn about, and whether what side-effects may occur are worth the possible benefit.

It might - talk to your doctor.

I opted out of having a period five years ago and haven't looked back.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure about the emotional part, but about a month ago I switched from the Depo shot to the Mirena IUD...holy mother of god...the most uncomfortable/painful procedure in my entire life. I was cursing while she was doing the insertion and thought I was going to pass out. The extreme cramping lasted from the procedure (3:00 PM) until I woke up the next day. I felt sick to my stomach. BUT...the next day...all was well and has been since!

I have a high pain tolerance too...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

@Sucker - OMG, yes! And I had to go through it twice because the first time my cervix Would.Not.Let.It.In. I thought the second time would be less painful because I was prepared, but NO. They almost had to get someone to sit on me because I kept levitating off the table in pain!!!

But, I haven't had a period in 3 months! So, worth it!

Yes. I had my tubes tied when I was younger than 30, and so went off birth control for quite awhile. The last two years, I noticed that instead of being a little crabby right before my period, for the last two weeks of the month I was in full on raging b*tch mode. Like, my patience? Completely gone. Angry angry angry.

First I tried a tri-phasic, and it helped a little. I mostly tried it because my cramps were so bad that 8 advil wouldn't kill them, and even the heavy prescription drugs, which made me stupid, didn't take the pain away...they just made me stupid.

Now I'm on a "full" regular pill and OMG the difference. Night and day. Do I still get crabby? Sure, but it's not the same type. I'm way more optimistic, like my old self. Hormones have a serious affect on your mood...I'd give it a shot, were I you.

2 members found this post helpful.

I get that way on my period sometimes. I was on nuvaring for a year and loved that I didn't have to think about it, but due to some side effects I switched back to the pill. I still have some PMS symptoms but it is definitely less than without the pill. Talk to your doctor and she can point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I'm not sure about the emotional part, but about a month ago I switched from the Depo shot to the Mirena IUD...holy mother of god...the most uncomfortable/painful procedure in my entire life. I was cursing while she was doing the insertion and thought I was going to pass out. The extreme cramping lasted from the procedure (3:00 PM) until I woke up the next day. I felt sick to my stomach. BUT...the next day...all was well and has been since!

I have a high pain tolerance too...
    I also have an IUD and did not have this kind of experience. I am a whiny weenie par excellence. I sat up and went "Are you going to put it in now?" and the GYN said "I already did..." and pulled out the speculum. So, your mileage may vary.

Anywho, I opted for a copper IUD. In my experience, with my normal, perfectly natural cycle, I have one or two days of PMS in which I am extremely anxious, paranoid, and emotional. Again, in my experience, when I am on hormonal birth control methods, instead of feeling great 28/30 days and crummy for 2, I had a low throb of anxiety and paranoia all of the time. This for me was unworkable.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I would get blood work done for them to look at your hormone levels first...
    Next question is- how old are you?
    LOTS of things can factor in...
    Best of luck!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

1 members found this post helpful.

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

I'm just a month short of 28, cramping has decreased over the years but my crazy emotions have gone through the roof

Talk it over with your doctor. In the years I was on birth control I really think that stuff messed with my mood more than anything. I was more "flat" (not really depressed, just sort of emotionless) on it, and several kinds actually made me feel crazy (nuvaring was BAD for me).

All in all I think mentally I'm much better off OFF the stuff than on, but some are better than others and everyone's experience is different.

If you do try it, take a very close look at family history for blood clotting issues. I had a PE related to a genetic anomaly + birth control, which if I'd known more about my family history I might have been able to avoid.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

hmmm...not much help here.
    I'm a big baby. Just an emotional soul. Though I cry when I'm happy, not when I'm sad.

I started re reading the article in COTH about Judgement...from 2009. I read a few paragraphs and blew my nose 3 times.

My favorite person on American Idol sang "I'll Stand By You" last night.
    I was a wreck. lol
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

LOL, yeah sometimes I wonder if maybe I'm just an emotional person. I mean just about any Budweiser Clydesdale commercial ends up with me in a weeping pile of mess. I watched Pitbulls and Parolees yesterday and started bawling when a dog got adopted. Anytime I hear about someone achieving something great I get all weepy. And I'm typically a strong person!

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    For example, a Beneful commercial brought me to tears last night. Driving to work today, I almost cried when I saw...a Speedway gas station? Needless to say, I'd really like to be a normal human being again, would birth control help any of that?
    I can imagine the "issue" with a dog food commercial. But can you connect the dots for me with the Speedway gas station?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh - it hasn't stopped my tears...just the weird tears and the rage. For some reason I cry whenever I see horses + music. It doesn't even have to be good music (although I don't prefer country). A stupid rap song to a showjumping round and my throat chokes up. LOL.

But yea - speedway?

I cried at a tire commercial once. You're not alone.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

LOL - Speedway, no idea. That's why I started this thread. I was just driving, glanced at it, looked back at the cars in front of me and then got a lump in my throat. It was all very baffling.