The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you ride your leased out horse?

When full leasing your horse out....

Do you ride your horse when you check up on them (ie: still sound, moving properly, etc...)? Why? How often?
    Have you been told you weren't allowed to ride?
    Last edited by Just1Alter; Apr. 18, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

No. The leasor does't tell me I can or can't do anything because she is my horse but I am courteous.

What is written in the lease agreement? The horses at my barn that are on full lease are usually from other facilities (sometimes out of town) and I never see their owners riding them.

It's not right or wrong, it should simply be an agreed-upon term of the lease. If it wasn't discussed beforehand, then you just have a conversation to resolve how often/ when / whether the owner will ride the horse. It's not unreasonable to say that during show season, for example, the lessee has a tight training and fitness plan, so the horse's "day off" really needs to be a day off. It's not unreasonable to say that the owner wants to put in a training ride every now and then to keep the horse tuned up, if for example the lessee were a beginner rider. None of it needs to be considered unreasonable or offensive (which the phrase "told that you're not allowed" suggests). End result is that if the two sides can't come to an agreement then you could amicably terminate the lease since your needs are not aligned. No drama.
    Last edited by HungarianHippo; Apr. 18, 2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fixed typoe (I meant "lessee" not "leasor")
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

2 members found this post helpful.

I did a full free lease on a mare in high school where we paid all expenses and kept insurance on her. Her owner never came out to ride, but in the 3 years I had her she did ask me a couple of times to give a mini lesson to her niece. It was never an issue at all because she always worked around my schedule and was very courteous.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I think it depends entirely on the situation. My mare is free leased (she pays all expenses, but not a lease fee) to a beginner who doesn't do much other than tool around and take lessons. Mare isn't overworked in the slightest so if I hop on to school manners back into her, it's not a problem if lessor has already ridden or is going to ride. That said, I do it around her schedule and I'm doing it at the farm. I'm not taking the mare anywhere.

Full lease with an experienced rider? I'd expect the owner to butt out.

Agreed that it very much depends on the situation, and should be agreed upon ahead of time.

I would expect that if I were leasing a horse the owner would not be riding the horse as well. As a dressage rider, probably only my trainer and I would be as we tried to fine tune the horse specifically to what I am hoping to get out of the horse, and if the horse needed a tuneup, even if the owner were a better rider than me, I would still want it to be my trainer who understood my strengths, weaknesses, and only semi-functional left side.

On top of the training factor, there's the fact I insure a horse specifically for the use I intend to give it. Should the owner get on and the horse get hurt - the owner should be paying for any care, board while out of use, etc. It gets tricky in the "but wait.... who caused it? Was it coincidence, but due to my riding?" aspect of who is at fault. Just not a situation I'd want to deal with.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I do not ride my leased out upper level dressage gelding. I did specify that the trainer ride the horse once a week to maintain his level of training, and that he be kept with the same trainer (who has known and ridden the horse for 11 years)

Everyone has very valid points. Thank you all.

What if the reason isn't to just merely ride for the fun of it, but to see how the horse is moving undersaddle due to previous health issues that are being cared for (ie: is it sore in its back, stretching, stiff anywhere, etc...)?

I prefer to not go into depth of my situation, but the horse is sound for riding, receives maintenance care, and the leasee's family is great to deal with.

I just want to get a feel for my own of how my horse is currently moving undersaddle. Others have horror stories of horses coming back lame, having to spend thousands of dollars in vet bills, horses needing more work after the lease, etc... which I have wonder could have been prevented if the owner has a bit more involved (not on a monthly basis, but even just ever 3 months or so).

that doesnt sound unreasonable but I would get it in writing
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

It needs to be part of the lease agreement & both parties need to be aware of it beforehand.

I understand what OP is getting at...it's easier to get on for 15 minutes & "feel" the horse to know where he is at. If I was the leasee I would be agreeable to it...IF it had been discussed prior to the lease starting & IF it is done with some courtesy/notice/planning--not the owner just showing up whenever.

My next question would then be...what if you find the horse to not be "right" yet I the leasee think he is? Who pays for those vet bills to investigate? Will you take the horse back early from the lease with no penalty to me? Obviously I wouldn't want to keep your horse if you think he's not right, but if I really felt he was ok I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of bills either.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if it is in the agreement or not -- would have to look and double check -- but fortunately the leasee has been agreeable of me riding and of course, I don't plan on riding when the leasee's daughter is riding or before an upcoming show.

In my case, I don't plan on taking away the horse if he isn't as "right" as I would like for him to be. Its the opposite, I plan (and am) working with the leasee in getting him the extra he would receive if they were not in the picture under my expense, not their's. If he was under the eye of my trainer, I probably wouldn't ride him since she knows him just as well and has been with him and I since day 1. But I don't have any experience with the trainer nor does the trainer have any experience with my horse while he was under my care. Unfortunately, I am not one to believe all that I am told unless I have 200% trust in someone due to one too many bad experiences in the past with my horses (fool me once, shame on you.. fool me twice, shame on me...)

I am not concerned for his current health (its improved from before, he is losing weight, building muscle, etc...) but I also know there is no reason to follow through with current procedures if there are better options available that can provide better results, which puts him at a greater stage of comfort that he once was at.

Thanks everyone! I feel much more at ease with the situation since I have never leased a horse out before

If I wanted to ride my horse while he was on lease, then it would be a partial lease, not a full lease. Would I check up on him every now and then? Definitely. I can understand the owner riding as long as it's in the lease agreement and works around the lessee's schedule and riding time and isn't a constant thing.

I don't think I could ever full lease my horse out, because I am so paranoid someone will get on him and ruin him, no matter how experienced they are. And my horse isn't the push-button schoolmaster type either, but he still has training that is important to me. I would definitely insist any lessee to take lessons, both for their & horses's sake.

1 members found this post helpful.

If I were fully leasing a horse, I would expect little if nothing from the owner - except maybe calls back and forth about the horse - especially if the horse was competing and if the horse was off property. If the horse was on the property, the owner would still need to back off.. Having said that, this would be what is assumed in a full lease. However, you can draw up whatever type of an agreement you want in your lease, and hope that the lessee sticks with it - which is much easier if the horse is leased on the property or close-by. My former trainer leased out her jumper and had in her agreement that the horse was not to be used for lessons (she leased him to a trainer's daughter) Well no surprise when these kids would tell her how much they enjoyed their lesson on him! And if the OP has concerns now about her horse, she can always draw up an amendment or addendum to her lease contract stating you have the right to watch/ride the horse X times per X. Unfortunately you take a risk when leasing a horse out - and something could happen that would be completely out of the lesse's control - like getting kicked

I rode my horse when she was leased by someone, but that was part of the agreement from the get-go. And the person leasing her had priority over me; for example, if she wanted to take my horse to a show, she had her scheduled for a lesson, or anything else, I just visited another time. I always asked what she had planned before I visited. I realize this isn't exactly a conventional lease situation, but at the time I needed a break from riding so Dottie was leased out for 6 months. I only visited maybe four times in that period, and I probably only rode twice.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

My horse has been out on a free lease for nearly three years. I visit every few months in person and hop on, tool around a bit, and see how he feels. The horse has had lameness problems in the past and keeping up his fitness is vital to ensuring that he stays sound. I like to feel for myself how things are going. The leasees have never had a problem with this, so long as I give a heads up that I'm planning a visit. In fact, we all usually hang out at the barn and catch up there or over dinner as well. I get email/phone/pic updates in between visits.

I think both the leasees and myself like the peace of mind of me being confident that the horse feels good and is working well. It keeps them with a nice horse to ride and me knowing he is well-cared for.

If you are still drawing up a contract, I think it would be wise to include a term about this so there is no confusion. But I cannot imagine it should be a problem.

I do. Leasee only rides 3x per week (not including shows) but the horse does need more rides than that. I basically just exercise him 1-2 times per week, but do occasionally do a jump school. Works out well for the both of us because I can still have fun on a packer, and she wont have a wild horse to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Just1Alter View Post
    Everyone has very valid points. Thank you all.

What if the reason isn't to just merely ride for the fun of it, but to see how the horse is moving undersaddle due to previous health issues that are being cared for (ie: is it sore in its back, stretching, stiff anywhere, etc...)?

I prefer to not go into depth of my situation, but the horse is sound for riding, receives maintenance care, and the leasee's family is great to deal with.

I just want to get a feel for my own of how my horse is currently moving undersaddle. Others have horror stories of horses coming back lame, having to spend thousands of dollars in vet bills, horses needing more work after the lease, etc... which I have wonder could have been prevented if the owner has a bit more involved (not on a monthly basis, but even just ever 3 months or so).
    *This* is a special circumstance. I would just say to leasor and leasor's trainer "Hey, remember I told you about Dobbin's 'insert injury here' [ you did tell them?] I wanted to hop on him and get a feel for if he is maintaining? Is there a time you can be there that won't interfere with you training program?"

In this case, I would ride him with the leasor and the trainer present. That way you can provide them with feedback, "Whoa, what a great job. He's doing great" or " He feels twingy to the left? Do you ever notice that?" and then discuss a possible change in maintenence etc with them.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

My freshamn year in college I leased my horse out, when I came home at Christmas and Spring Break I rode him in the mornings (trail ride) before the girls got there after school. I had lessons on him outside over SB as they had yet to ride him outside since Nov. (CT winters are no fun, hence why I left!) He was an angel for me (not so much for the girls)

When I cam back for the summer, they decided to continue the lease thru the summer, but I added into the contract that I got to show him for 2 days

So yes, I would go ride your horse. I would never lease a horse out again, even though I got lucky compared to some horror stories you see on here, I just seem to have a much higher standard for my horse's care vs. others.