The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

If you have dual UK/ US citizenship (with two passports) you have to enter and leave the US on your US passport. But the US does not attempt to control which pasport you use in other countries.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    It doesn't recognize it in that it treats you only as a US citizen and there's no special status, but it does allow it - it's not against the rules or anything. There would be no basis on which to require someone to give up foreign citizenship. .
    They can, and do, require you to renounce your original (and any other) citizenship.

But they can not require your original country to recognize the renunciation.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post

But I do not understand all the discussion of living here BEFORE getting a green card. In those days, you HAD TO BE living outside the US to apply for a green card. Is this no longer true?

We certainly never lived in the US (only visited as tourists) before we got out green cards.
    Most people emigrate now on work visas or other more "temporary" types of visas. Everyone I know (most having something to do with academia) has come here on a work visa, a student visa or as a fiance/spouse. All before getting green cards. I'm not sure if that is the norm or not.

Yeap, inne. It is such a painful process... the whole visa process to the point of being ridiculous. Many companies don't want to take up sponsorship and when I finally got a company who was willing to sponsor me, my working permit was lost somewhere in pipeline. I sent in the application as early as possible, three months before I needed it, and not before, mind you, based on the regulation. I ended up sitting at home waiting for that piece of paper to come through after graduating from grad school. I was told by the lawyer that I was not even "allowed" to show up at my company's premise. The company lawyer was quite stern about it. They (the company) would get into trouble for that. I ended up cleaning house and ironing everything including undies and playing golf every day in 110+ weather: I HATE golf.

Funny enough. If you were here illegally, you got a better chance (or at least, easier time) getting the citizenship, than those of us who came here legally, or at least, it feels that way. Sigh.
    Last edited by Gloria; Apr. 26, 2013 at 01:49 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

They can, and do, require you to renounce your original (and any other) citizenship.

But they can not require your original country to recognize the renunciation.
    This my understanding as well - or at least, this is part of that oath ceremony. They (US) just don't chase you down to make you surrender your old passports.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    This my understanding as well - or at least, this is part of that oath ceremony. They (US) just don't chase you down to make you surrender your old passports.
    There are two girls a my barn who have dual citizenship (US/Spain and US/Peru) and both have 2 passports, one issued by each country. They were born dual citizens though. I've never asked which ones they have to travel on. *makes note to do so*

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    There are two girls a my barn who have dual citizenship (US/Spain and US/Peru) and both have 2 passports, one issued by each country. They were born dual citizens though. I've never asked which ones they have to travel on. *makes note to do so*
    How old are they? I had a friend with dual US/Canadian citizenship, but when she turned 21 (or maybe it was 18) she had to chose just one.
    Janet

Most people emigrate now on work visas or other more "temporary" types of visas. Everyone I know (most having something to do with academia) has come here on a work visa, a student visa or as a fiance/spouse. All before getting green cards. I'm not sure if that is the norm or not.
    We had a friend who was British, but trained as a doctor in California (on a student visa). He had to move to Canada for 6 months or so while applying for his green card. He could not apply while living in the US on his student visa. I guess that has changed.
    Janet

My French son in law was here on a work visa and got his green card after he married my daughter
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

How old are they? I had a friend with dual US/Canadian citizenship, but when she turned 21 (or maybe it was 18) she had to chose just one.
    Sometimes the circumstances under which you get dual citizenship are determinative of whether or not you can keep it, along with the rules of the other country.

So with Germany, if you are born to a (currently at the time) German person and a (currently at the time) US person, you are born with dual German/US citizenship. You can keep it for the rest of your life. To keep your German citizenship you do have to do their civil service.

If for whatever reason you are not BORN WITH dual citizenship (such as for example if both of your parents for reasons you are still bitter about gave up their German citizenship before you were born), you have to pick one or the other. If I go marry a German and want to have German citizenship, I have to give up US. My nephew who was born to my US brother and his German wife can have dual citizenship , I who was born to two German ex-pats and was raised so Germanically I did not speak English upon entering Kindergarten can never.

Meanwhile if my mother had waited a couple of years to become a US citizen I would have been a dual citizen.

In Italy, on the other hand, you can become a citizen if like, your grandparents on your mother's side were Italian and you can prove it, and they don't make you give up your US citizenship to do it. I have not googled to double check so I could have that slightly wrong but the general point is that different countries have different requirements, so US/Spain dual citizenship is different from US/Peru is different from US/German, and the timing of when everyone involved was what citizenship can additionally complicate things.

If you have dual UK/ US citizenship (with two passports) you have to enter and leave the US on your US passport. But the US does not attempt to control which pasport you use in other countries.
    This is what I do when I go to Holland. Leave the US with my US passport and enter Holland with my Dutch one. Thank goodness, because it's much faster zipping through the European Community line.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Ah yes, contacting people in the original country. I forgot about that part! I had to go back to every employer I'd had in the UK from the time I was 16 and get a letter from them verifying my identity and special skills.

Re. documenting entries and exits, I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, just that it's too much of a hassle for me personally. For 20 years, I've traveled regularly for business and that means multiple international trips every year. I'm still confused about why they can't just access that info from their own computers, since I fill out a card every time I enter and leave the US, but I guess that's bureaucracy for you.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com