The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The residency/citizenship requirements were changed when some banned/nasty people started trying to adjust their status in order to compete.
    This sounds intriguing... can you elucidate? In what way were they trying to adjust their status and how would it have benefited them?
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The residency/citizenship requirements were changed when some banned/nasty people started trying to adjust their status in order to compete.
    since the both usdf and usef are able to limit their membership based on honestly and following rules this makes absolutely no sense at all

If it's run by the USDF, and the USDF allows noncitizens to be members, then it's just plain wrong to close the competition to some USDF members.
    RoanPonyMare

4 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Would y'all be happier with British rule where you had to get permission from your NF to compete?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

It was after George Lindemann's conviction, there was talk about him changing nationalities before the Olympics, when everything changed. He had been suspended by AHSA, had sued them, and continued to compete in the qualification at Gladstone. The court upheld the suspension. It used to be, that if you were a foreign national all you needed was the permission of your home federation to compete in the US. Had he done that there would have been nothing AHSA could have done to stop him competing here. Things changed.
    My memory is not crystal clear, but that is what I remember.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by SBrentnall View Post
    Why? The regional championships used to be for US citizens only, but I don't think the sport in the US has been damaged by opening it up to permanent residents.
    SillyHorse - this is what made me think I am not eligible for regional championships. I am not a permanent resident. I have to be sponsored through work and it can take 2-7(!) years to get permanent residency that way.

You are always better off looking at the actual rules to find out what's what. Don't rely on strangers on an internet BB to know the rules. I've read some real eye-opening "rules" here.

Here's a link to the USDF's regional championships rules.
    http://www.usdf.org/docs/ShowFlash/w...mp/RCRules.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

1 members found this post helpful.

Why would it be wrong for the US to have a US only competition? Other nations do. It's a way to develop athletes looking towards the Olympics.

There are plenty of competitions in the US open to any nationality. That doesn't mean everything has to be open to whomever wishes to enter.

10 members found this post helpful.

Thank you SillyHorse - I don't see anywhere in there that says permanent residency is required. You are right, going to the source is always the best answer!

vineyridge - Yes, going through some loop holes would be preferable to not having any opportunity to compete.

gimbalist - I can see where people would have this opinion and agree to a certain extent. How would you feel if it was similar to the UK rules, where only US citizens could win the Grand Prix? I'm an AA who has no desire to be groomed for olympics... I'd just like to get a nice ribbon at 1st level with my boy .

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbalist View Post
    Why would it be wrong for the US to have a US only competition? Other nations do. It's a way to develop athletes looking towards the Olympics.

There are plenty of competitions in the US open to any nationality. That doesn't mean everything has to be open to whomever wishes to enter.
    Finally some sanity.

If I, as a US citizen lived and rode in ______ (insert non-US country here), and that country had a national dressage championship open only to their citizens, the last thing I'd do is complain and whine. Why would I feel so entitled ?

It's their country, their horse show, and their national championship.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I guess I look at it from an immigrant's POV. Mind you I'm just having an academic discussion as I am nowhere near to the skill level of the people in question! We can be permanent residents for decades. In a period of decades you definitely become part of a country and it would be awesome to represent your new home.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

And by the same token I've seen adult US citizens with current US passports who can't speak English. And the same with ARC (Alien Resident Card, aka green card) holders.

You can live here one week and begin to assimilate, or live here for "decades" and never give it a thought.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Yeah, okay, but I was just giving a reason why someone might want to compete and not be a citizen.

Paula

I am a permanent resident... And will be for a while because it takes YEARS to become a citizen... And lots of money that I dont have

I would just expect that a country which relies so heavily upon imported horses, trainers and Olympians would be more accepting of those who weren't born here.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

I was wondering that too. Are we so wealthy in horses, skills, riders, and trainers that we can afford to make this rule?

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Finally some sanity.

If I, as a US citizen lived and rode in ______ (insert non-US country here), and that country had a national dressage championship open only to their citizens, the last thing I'd do is complain and whine. Why would I feel so entitled ?

It's their country, their horse show, and their national championship.

I feel 'entitled' because I pay USDF membership fees just like the next person. If they allow non-US citizens to be members we should be treated as members.

But the net result is not that you are champion of the USDF. You are considered champion of the United States.

How strange would it be that someone is the US National Champion, competing internationally for, say, Sweden? What's the point then?

You know we should let the market decide. If there is such a rule lets see the results over the next years. Do we do better or worse in world standings. That will speak for the policy.

Paula