The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Dressage Finals open to US citizens only

So, I just got done reading the article about the US Dressage Finals in the new USDF Connection magazine. The issue of it being for US citizens only was addressed a couple of times. I was wondering what your opinion was on this?

I don't have my citizenship so, of course, I was bummed. It's a little demoralizing to know that even if we do well at regionals, the finals aren't an option for us. I was holding out hope that the wild card would be open to everyone. On the other hand, would it be weird for a non-US citizen to win a US final?

Is there any way around this? Could I find an American rider so my horse could still compete? He was born and bred in the USA!

Is this a rule now for all levels? That seems like an extreme measure IMO. In the UK foreign riders can compete in (and win) the national finals at all levels except Grand Prix.

I'm back in the UK now so I don't have access to the Connection article (unless its online somewhere), but I'd be interested to know more about this!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I think permanent residency would make more sense than US citizenship. I lived in the US since I was 5 years old and did not get citizenship until I was 24 for various practical reasons. There are loads of reasons someone may not want or don't qualify for citizenship that seem quite irrelevant to their riding or even their 'Americanness'.

1 members found this post helpful.

I find that very strange. If you live here, you're part of the US dressage community, whether a citizen or not.

No, you can't qualify to represent the US at the Olympics, but that's not the point of the national championships.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree with the above. If someone is active in the U.S. dressage community and successful enough to quality for the championship, what purpose is served by keeping that person from competing? Maybe residency could be a requirement, but citizenship? Kind of silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

British rules;

17. Foreign riders domiciled in the UK and/or competing in national classes

Riders who wish to maintain eligibility to ride for their own country may compete in Qualifiers and Championships but even though they may win the Grand Prix Championship classes they will not become The National Champion and will not be awarded sashes, rosettes or prize money. Foreign riders competing at other levels at the National Championships will be awarded first place sashes, rosettes and prize money.
    Foreign riders competing in the UK require permission to compete from their NationalFederation; this must be submitted to the BD office upon registration.
    Irish passports are considered to be foreign.

(They are a lot more PC about discriminating based on national origin)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

3 members found this post helpful.

IMO. I hope this is going to stay that way.. Please don't change it...
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

4 members found this post helpful.

Why? The regional championships used to be for US citizens only, but I don't think the sport in the US has been damaged by opening it up to permanent residents.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

I think that is what bother's me - I AM an active member of the US dressage community and it hurts to be discriminated against by an organization that I am so proud to be a part of. Shouldn't all members of the USDF have equal opportunity to compete... regardless of if they were born on US soil or not?

manni01 - Would you be willing to give the reason behind your opinion? I am curious to see the other side of the argument.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow, definitely a reason why I won't be showing recognized any time soon. I live and work (in civil service!) in the US and support the local dressage community I live in. I am working on getting a green card, but it can take years to become a permanent resident and many more to become a citizen. I had no idea I wasn't eligible for regional championships. A residency requirement makes perfect sense, but why permanent residency or citizenship? Thankfully, GMO (for which I am the show secretary for all our shows each year) doesn't discriminate against me!

leheath, I agree and revise my permanent resident idea to just residency for whatever period of time. It took my family 7 years just to get permanent residency!

That's an interesting rule. Sounds like it was written by people with little idea of how hard it is to get permanent residency and citizenship. Eh well, IMO it should be permanent residency, not citizenship.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Permanent residency is still overly harsh IMO. It takes spouses of US citizens a minimum of 3 years to be granted permanent residency... meaning that if I was to move to the US with my American partner now (as I did decades ago) I wouldn't be able to compete in finals for several years. A simple alternative would be legal residency (i.e., what used to be called a "green card").

mabye they are afraid that foreign riders are just that much better . my opinion if your life, ride and show in a region you should be eligible for the championships, be it regional or national.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by leheath View Post
    Wow, definitely a reason why I won't be showing recognized any time soon. I live and work (in civil service!) in the US and support the local dressage community I live in. I am working on getting a green card, but it can take years to become a permanent resident and many more to become a citizen. I had no idea I wasn't eligible for regional championships. A residency requirement makes perfect sense, but why permanent residency or citizenship? Thankfully, GMO (for which I am the show secretary for all our shows each year) doesn't discriminate against me!
    Why do you think you aren't eligible for regional championships? I believe we are talking about the new national championship, for which, right or wrong, non-citizens are not eligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    Permanent residency is still overly harsh IMO. It takes spouses of US citizens a minimum of 3 years to be granted permanent residency... meaning that if I was to move to the US with my American partner now (as I did decades ago) I wouldn't be able to compete in finals for several years. A simple alternative would be legal residency (i.e., what used to be called a "green card").
    Green card = permanent residency. The green card is the card that identifies you as a permanent resident, like a passport identifies you as a citizen. You can get permanent residency in less than three years depending on your circumstances, but you cannot apply for citizenship until you have been a permanent resident for three years if you are married to a US citizen and then it takes about a year to process. It's a very annoying process.

Indeed, Green Card is Permanent Residence. And a time table of 3 years for a green card is very ambitious.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

The residency/citizenship requirements were changed when some banned/nasty people started trying to adjust their status in order to compete.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Oops, there goes my memory again... sorry guys, you're right about the Green Card terminology, except that a "residence permit" (to give it a proper name) isn't always for permanent residency. In my case it was "conditional" as I had been married less than a certain number of years when I first applied for entry. I then had to apply for permanent residency before I could qualify for citizenship. My aging brain elided the details, which are probably quite irrelevant anyway!