The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Losing stirrup while 2 pointing

I think my original thread is lost so excuse me if it re-appears.

Once in awhile I lose the left stirrup while galloping in the 2 point position. I don't know if it's pertinent but my saddle shifts to the left if not girthed tightly enough. I do have hip bursitis in both hips and the left is noticeably less flexible than the right.

Without seeing me in action, any advice?

Check saddle fit and how you are padding it. Check that you are not standing on your toes instead of sinking into your heels- 2 point is really, correctly just a lightening of the seat and closing the hip angle, NOT heaving up and standing with full weight on the ball of the foot which sounds like what you are doing if your saddle is twisting so bad to the side you still have the iron on. Should not have all your weight on your feet.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

In my case the issue was I was putting so much weight in my heels that unless I had good grippy pads on my stirrups, my foot would slide right off. Got some cheesegraters and all is well.

If you have hip flexor issues you may also need more grip in the stirrup.

Try the cheese grater pads and a fillis iron, not the bendy ones that can create a looser leg on a rider that is not rock solid in her base of support-and if you lose an iron in any situation short of a hard effort over a HUGE fence? You are not rock solid in your base of support.

I got no specific hip issues but when you are well past that half century mark in age? Things are not as flexible as they used to be. I got the most help from a solid iron and grippy treads. No lightweight plastic irons either-thats another thing that works only when you are a strong and accomplished rider with strong and solid position and basics. which, if we are honest? Is not most of us.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Get these pads instead of cheese graters... won't ruin your boots or saddle.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/projump...pad/p/X1-0724/

If my boot or stirrup pad is muddy my feet will shoot out if I sink my heels suddenly. Get some grippy pads and keep them clean.

If you heels are jammed down with your ankle and knee joints locked, yes, you will lose your stirrup(s). If you allow your joints to move and absorb the movement, you will keep your stirrups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

OP - you are describing my problem exactly (except right foot, not left), and looking at video, discovered that I was squeezing with my knee and lifting my heal just enough that the stirrup slipped off. I tried several solutions and, I'm sorry to say, fitness was the only thing that helped.

I spent anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes at the beginning of each ride, standing in my stirrups at a walk and letting my heals sink down. Eventually, I stretched out and my heels sunk lower which helped. I also made a conscious effort to not squeeze with my knees and keep my weight in my heals.

All in all, it took a solid year-and-a-half to resolve itself so that I rarely if ever lose a stirrup.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

2 members found this post helpful.

Are you pinching at the knee? If so shorten your stirrup and work on relaxing your hip.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    If you heels are jammed down with your ankle and knee joints locked, yes, you will lose your stirrup(s).
    Yes. Also if you are pushing your lower leg forward, opening the knee angle it would also increase the odds that you lose your stirrup in two point.

Check your leg alignment while in two point. do you have the knee, toe alignment? What about hip/heel? (hands and shoulders are further forward when in two point than when sitting, you would not necessarily have the shoulder/hip/heel you'd regularly like to see)
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I'm guessing that you are pinching with your knee. Also a good massage or chiropractic session is probably in order.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I'm guessing that you are pinching with your knee. Also a good massage or chiropractic session is probably in order.
    That sounds like a good idea!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Great ideas, thanks everyone. I agree that I need to fix as much of the flexibility issue as possible. I've slacked on my therapy exercises and have a great chiro as well as a membership at Massage Envy. So what's my excuse? I don't have one other than it gets tedious working on the same issue with only temporary relief.

Now that I'm done whining I will get back in the groove with exercise, buy some grippy stirrup pads and work on my 2 point position to make sure I'm not pinching with my knees, heels are down and not putting all my weight into the stirrups.

I have a similar issue and rode with an Eq trainer a while back and she brought to my attention I do a funky thing with my left ankle, pinch with my knee, drop my left shoulder and collapse my left rib cage. I always just thought my left leg was shorter than my right because I can get my right heel down but not my left as well.

I am now aware of it so I have been working on it. I do like the grippy stirrups if you haven't tried those yet, they are helpful.

Have you had anyone watch you from the ground? Or maybe have a friend take some photos of you or video so you can see what's going on.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Might also try shortening that stirrup a hole or half hole; I know I have that problem sometimes when my stirrups are a little long; and you might have one side that's a little longer/shorter than the other...

Follow up to say that I haven't lost a stirrup since I took some of the advice here. I bought some of the grippy stirrup pads from Dover. The first thing I noticed when riding with them is my left leg was pulling away from the saddle. It was weird. Right leg was snugged in comfortable, left had a noticeable gap. So I worked at contact and it made me much more secure in the saddle.
    My horse has always done a good job for me, my goal was to make sure my bad habits didn't affect our ride (much!). At Arabian Regionals we were Champion in one class, Top 5 (3rd) in another. I think we're on a good path for Nationals.

Thanks for all the good advice!

I tend to be a knee-pincher as well. When I explained my own physio issues with my trainer, she suggested I turn my toes out more when jumping and we also shortened my stirrups by an extra hole. This has helped a lot over fences.

Also (as others have suggested) if your stirrup pads are old, consider replacing them. Probably don't even need special stirrup pads, just the reg rubber ones should do if yours have lost their grip.

When I start losing the occasional stirrup, that's how I know that I've let my hip flexors get tight....40 hour a week desk job, occupational hazard . At 51, I've found I have to stretch my hip flexors (deep lunges, "pigeon pose"...) most days of the week or they tighten up. If I get busy and forget to do it for several days in a row, my knee will start creeping up the saddle flap, I'll pinch with my knee and I'll start losing my stirrup on occasion.