The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Agility classes...

My mini aussie was a fail at sheepherding. Very interested, but wanted to chase rather than gather/herd. I decided to try agility with her. We have almost completed our beginner 7 week session of classes and she is doing pretty good. She has been thru almost all the obstacles, jumps well over regular and broad jumps, has done a very small basic teeter totter, has done the elevated walk at my shoulder height(I'm 5'5"). She will also do the "A" frame at full height. We need more work on the tunnels. She is not afraid of them, but has decided it is much easier to cut back out and follow behind me than run all the way thru. She is very calm with no barking even when we are running small courses. She has a good stay, so I can set her up at the first obstacle and get a decent lead out for running the course. I signed her up for the next slightly more advanced 7 week session. Hopefully this is something we can persue to compete in.

That's great! Aussies are fantastic in Agility they really have a talent for it. I have been doing agility for 6 years with my lab mix and we love it!

Don't worry about the tunnel thing - all the dogs do that, even the experienced ones. My dog will still do it if I leave him before he's committed to the tunnel.

Have fun!

Agility is super fun! Sounds like your dog is doing really well so far. Throwing a toy/treat-dispensing ball through the tunnel might encourage her--I have a lotus ball and it's awesome for rewarding distance work.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

That's awesome! I did an agility class in the fall but had to take the spring off due to scheduling issues. I can't wait to get back to work. I am sure she will get the tunnel down pat soon. Have y'all started any weave work yet?

I built my own agility course after my agility instructor quit teaching. I bought a childs tunnel (which surprisingly took forever to find one long enough), made PVC jumps, PVC weaves, and am now started on a teeter that starts at 8" and works up to 24". I love love love agility and my boxer mix is a genious at it. I've never competed her and don't think I plan to because the crowd would rile her up and she wouldn't focus. However it is a great workout for dog and owner!

Yes we have done a little of the weave poles and she is pretty good with those too. She really is a pretty brave little dog.

Your dog will love it. I decided to give it a try about four years ago and got hooked and now compete in three venues with both my dogs.

Tonight was our last class for this session. I was so happy with my girl. She did great on the tunnel only running back out once in multiple attempts. The trainer had us "build a course". First she had us do 3 jumps in a pinwheel. After we got that we worked on the tunnel, then we put those two sections together. After we got those pretty well, we added a broad jump to a table and then two jumps set up so you could send the dog over each at an angle and basically create a straight line between the two. Then another table. The last section we added was leaving the table and jumping another jump than wrapping back around and going thru a chute.