The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Explosion caught on cell phone camera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpK...ature=youtu.be
    Occurs about 30 seconds into clip. Very graphic. It registered 2.1 on a nearby seismograph.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    Many of my in laws live in West. I know they are all ok. My prayers go out to those families that are affected. What a freighting night.
    Try checking here if you haven't heard anything Katy. http://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

My DH has been deployed with his two search dogs as part of Texas Task Force 1. He and the other handlers will search for survivors and..... then for the dead. So very sad.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Racetrack, but as I said, I know they are all ok.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    Thank you Racetrack, but as I said, I know they are all ok.
    Woops! Holy misread message. I read it as you didn't know they were all ok. OH well, maybe the link will help someone else. sorry!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Most recent update regarding some concerns: so far, the air is considered ok, no concerns of toxic gas; it's being treated as a crime scene because that's the best way to get help to all and get it figured out the fastest; and there have been between five and 15 deaths, with four or five firefighters still missing. That is heartbreaking, from one first responder to others...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Cowgirljenn, did you ever find out where the walking horse trainer lives that I was asking you about, Paco Suarez? All I know is that he's in West. I talked to him, but didn't go down there because, at the time, he didn't have anything suitable.

Here is contact information for an organization, vet clinics, and a boarding kennel helping if anyone needs it http://www.examiner.com/article/anim...id=db_articles
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I write Risk Management Plans for all forms of ammonia and I sometimes hate the level of environmental requirements established in California. But when I see events like this, I am thankfull for the level of detail we include and the safety measures that are incorporated into the plans and redundancies.

Edit: I just saw the layout of the area of the plant and I am shocked, a middle school next door ? Texas allows a major fertilizer plant with anhydrous ammonia next door to a school. I am just stunned...The safety risks are great and if that blast were to have happened during the day those children could have been killed. I cannot understand why that is ever an acceptable risk to people. I hope that people can help to change these blatent safety risks that should never be acceptable.
    Last edited by stolen virtue; Apr. 18, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I write Risk Management Plans for all forms of ammonia and I sometimes hate the level of environmental requirements established in California. But when I see events like this, I am thankfull for the level of detail we include and the safety measures that are incorporated into the plans and redundancies.

Edit: I just saw the layout of the area of the plant and I am shocked, a middle school next door ? Texas allows a major fertilizer plant with anhydrous ammonia next door to a school. I am just stunned...The safety risks are great and if that blast were to have happened during the day those children could have been killed. I cannot understand why that is ever an acceptable risk to people. I hope that people can help to change these blatent safety risks that should never be acceptable.
    That and that they had so much on hand in one place, that I think is against regulations, or it is so here, for very obvious reasons, as we see there.

I'm still in shock Bluey, I've been doing studies on ammonia in much less amounts (very small amounts) around Los Angeles for the past 2 weeks. I am still just so shocked by the school location and nursing home. I had assumed that plant was surrounded by agricultural fields or open land....How in the world did that plant get approved at that location ?

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I'm still in shock Bluey, I've been doing studies on ammonia in much less amounts (very small amounts) around Los Angeles for the past 2 weeks. I am still just so shocked by the school location and nursing home. I had assumed that plant was surrounded by agricultural fields or open land....How in the world did that plant get approved at that location ?
    Don't have any idea, unless the plant was there first and the rest was built later, which I don't think was so, but who knows, that corridor between Dallas and points South has been growing like mad for some decades now.

Not only that, the first responders should all have had training in that specific situation there, so they would have known to evacuate, not stand around such a plant.
    At least here they have training for elevator and nuclear plant (Pantex) and HCR accidents.

There is some that doesn't make sense, but it is terrible, however it happened.

TV here in Houston is saying the plant has been there since 1962, and was grandfathered in.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud To Be Spotted View Post
    TV here in Houston is saying the plant has been there since 1962, and was grandfathered in.
    So, the question then is, why would anyone build school, nursing homes and residences right by any kind of chemical plant, fertilizer, refinery, you name it?

Well, so many lessons learned here, hope this will help prevent other accidents somewhere else.

Some were saying, it looks like a tornado hit the town.
    At least with a tornado, you don't have anyone to blame and can move on.
    That someone may have done something wrong makes the tragedy worse.

Well, Rick Perry has declared it a disaster area and asked the President to expedite aid. I wonder if those who had their hurricane Sandy aid requests held up by the Texas representatives (among others) will quickly grant it.

I suspect (and hope) they will do the right thing and send the aid as quickly as possible.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, all of those buildings would have been allowed to be built by the local jurisdiction if the plant was "grandfathered" in. We run ammonia models on the plumes for the Risk Management Plans here. We cannot have homes or schools within atleast one mile with small amounts of anhydrous ammonia. Add the fertilizer risk and I am shocked.

I'm with you Bluey on hoping things change from this event.

I also could not believe the close proximity of the school/nursing home/houses to the plant That was my immediate thought when I first saw the map of the town. I do hope change will come from this.

What a mess, so sorry for all involved.

Stolen virtue, I'm not sure what all goes into the risk mamagement plans for the goverment, but according to KHOU here in Houston:

"In a summary of West Fertilizer's risk management filing, the company said the worst that could happen was not an explosion, but merely the contents of a storage tank release over 10 minutes."

I'm not sure how that got through.

That release of anhydrous ammonia (here we are required to assume the entire contents of the delivery truck) would be enough to pose a health/safety risk for the school, nursing home and residents. Throw in the fertilizer ammonium nitrate and we here in California would have to model both events having a simultanous release. I sometimes think this is overkill, but then I see this. Here the government dictates the "worst case scenerio", I guess I understand why now.

I'm in Waco only about 20 minutes south of West and have been keeping up with the coverage. As of now they've found 11 dead, all first responders, with around 200 injured My friends and I are going to volunteer this week and tons of places around here have opened their doors to residents without homes, including hotels, restaurants, and a few Baylor buildings have been devoted to the victims of West. I'm not sure why this plant was so close to the school and nursing home, but it does seem odd. Luckily all of the residents of the nursing home were evacuated before the explosion due to the fire, but many were still injured since they were still nearby. Both the nursing home and the school were leveled as well as many homes and I can't imagine how much worse it would have been had school been in session at the time. Please pray for everyone affected by this tragedy and for their lives to get back to normal as soon as possible!

My heart goes out to those injured, their loved ones, the people who lost their homes and businesses, etc. I cannot fathom what that community is going through. I pray that they receive timely aid and that the community continues to provide support in whatever capacity possible.