The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Explosion outside Waco Tx

Hearing on CNN that a tank at a fertalizer plant exploded. Over 100 injured and a near by nursing home has collapsed leaving residents trapped.

I am sending prayers to Texas tonight.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

That would be a MAJOR explosion! Wow. I'll have to go look for details. That's really terrible.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

An Early report from West is of 60 to 70 deaths
    Hundreds injured, possibly over one thousand.

The town of West is about 80 miles south of Dallas - Fort Worth.... 15 to 20 miles north of Waco on Interstate 35.

The plant was on the northeastern edge of the town, the explosions where heard up to sixty miles away... Houses blown off foundation over 13 miles for the site. Numerous structure fires, limited water very high winds.

Besides the human deaths/injury livestock suffered greatly due to the concussion waves from the explosions.

This is a very fluid situation as additional explosions are possible

Google Maps: West Fertilizer Co, Waco, Jerry Mashek Drive, West, TX

You can see just how close that nursing home is (West Rest Haven). It is less than a mile, maybe even just 1/2 mile. In some raw video seen on one of the Waco TV stations, you can see them with some elderly people in wheelchairs in the football stadium. It's reported that they are now evacuating the triage from the stadium due to concern that a second tank may explode. Showed one elderly female patient with her head wrapped around the eyes and bloody legs. One news station says 60 to 70 people dead; they did not say from where, but assume the nursing home.

Thoughts are with all in the area.

Cross posted in Off Course too...

Saw there is a no-fly zone for fear another fertilizer tower will explode and the winds seem to be picking up, making the fires spread.

the numbers of deaths may go up:

"We've heard that figure of 60 to 70 dead that's coming from the county's emergency management office down here," said WFAA reporter Todd Unger. "I can tell you that a couple of law enforcement sources expect that number to go up. "

For those who don't know West, it is a tiny town in central Texas, north of Waco (and about 60ish miles south of Ft. Worth). When we moved here, we looked at places in West as well as that was in our radius from campus (Baylor). We ended up south of Waco (maybe 40 minute drive from West).

We were in Waco tonight and there were ambulances heading heading south with victims and emergency responders heading north to West.

Since the town is so small, it isn't far from the plant to farms (one place we looked at was maybe 1-2 miles away). The wind is supposed to shift directions tonight and there are concerns about fumes and such heading towards Waco.

I don't know anyone in West, but we'll be seeing what we can do to help/donate/whatever in the next few days.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Hospitals in Waco are reporting about 60-100 people admitted, no official numbers of injuries or deaths yet. West is a town of about 2800, so some estimates have about 10% of the town injured (but we're hearing lots of wild speculation).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Good heavens! Prayers for all the victims and first responders in Texas tonight. I don't have the TV or radio on, so I get this news on COTH. What a horrible situation...

At least the estimate of the number of deaths has now gone down, to 5 to 15, horrific as that still is. Though, they are expecting more as they are still in search mode. Anhydrous Ammonia was a problem at first, with the first responders having to wear masks as they search, but that problem appears to have subsided.

My prayers go out to all of those involved in this tragedy today.
    Last edited by Louise; Apr. 18, 2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: I got the name of the chemical wrong.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for all involved. So scary.

Explosion caught on cell phone camera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpK...ature=youtu.be
    Occurs about 30 seconds into clip. Very graphic. It registered 2.1 on a nearby seismograph.

Nitrates can be very unstable. Do a search on "1947 Texas City explosion" and peruse the results. A 2-ton anchor thrown over 1-1/2 miles and a 5-ton anchor about 1/2 mile.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Some years ago, a neighbor was fertilizing about a mile from my house.
    They pull a 500 gallon tank behind the tractor with hoses injecting the ammonia, under pressure, in a heavy gas form, into the ground.

Well, he called and told me to leave my house thru the North road, because the hoses developed a leak and he could see the white cloud slowly blowing my way.
    I am the only house for miles in this direction, so no one else was in the path of the ammonia cloud, but I called my neighbor North, in case they were working cattle in the canyons, where that cloud was heading.
    The sheriff office also called and I got out of the way.
    After some time, it was ok to go back.

If that cloud would have drifted South, they would have to close I-40 until it passed, because that gas is toxic and will kill you.

I hope they are careful for a while yet, because any gas trapped in the rubble that may be freed can kill whoever it drifts to.

I know that here, the elevators that sell that fertilizer can't have but so much on hand, because of the danger of what just happened there.

I can't imagine anyone storing enough in one place as they did there, the danger is way too large.
    They should have been moving inventory out as they produced it, never store that much for that kind of explosion to be possible.

That fertilizer is really very safe, using it is like putting gas in your car.
    Sure, you can get careless and smoke while fueling and blow yourself and the gas station up.
    Still, there is rarely trouble from fueling or fertilizing, but you do have to be careful.

How very terrible for those in West.

So very sorry. What an awful thing.

I think the death toll will go up because there were first responders on the scene of the first fire when the explosion occurred that are still unaccounted for.

Scary.

Also, I just heard on the radio (but can't confirm via any other reports) that it's being treated as a crime scene. I suppose that's pretty standard operating procedure any time there's an accident. But given all the other crazy stuff that's been happening this week, kinda makes you wonder.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

It is SOP, plus one official said that as calls came in, some said, "A bomb just went off," and once that's "reported" in as a bomb, then they absolutely must treat the event as a crime scene.

Many of my in laws live in West. I know they are all ok. My prayers go out to those families that are affected. What a freighting night.

Another tragedy! So devastating!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

Also, I just heard on the radio (but can't confirm via any other reports) that it's being treated as a crime scene. I suppose that's pretty standard operating procedure any time there's an accident. But given all the other crazy stuff that's been happening this week, kinda makes you wonder.
    I heard the same report last night on TV. As horrible as such a thought is, I guess given the wacky, hate-filled world we seem to be living in, anything is possible. And I suppose torching such a volitile site wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for someone hell-bent on destruction. But let's hope that this isn't the case and that it was just a horrible accident rather than a purposeful act.

Prayers for all of those involved - humans and animals.

1 members found this post helpful.

The ATF is investigating, but the news said that it is protocol to treat it as a crime until it is cleared.

Oh man. Prayers for Waco. I really have no words.