The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DH and I might rent after we sell our house in town and while farm shopping. In fact, I'd rather rent for a year or two just to keep the stress level down (timing of selling AND buying? with critters? and a commute to both our jobs? NOTHANKS!), to save up a down payment. I'm open to renting a house in town, possibly with room to park the horse trailers so we can save there as well (no room at current house to park even the 2H). DH is dead set on renting home on property so we can bring at least his mares home, and save even more.

And I'm finding that properties for rent with horse-friendly acreage...don't allow inside pets?! What? What horse person doesn't have a dog inside? Not many, is my guess. Or only small dogs. We have two good dogs, neutered males, one border collie and one Aussie/Kelpie. The BC weighs about 55-57 depending on how stressed his got on the way to the vet and the Aussie is generally hovering right around 63.

So weird.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham View Post
    My old thread went poof just as I was replying to it. Basically, I am moving this summer and my roommate has a sizeable boxer. Trying to find a place has been a pain, because apparently boxers are on the Undesirable List. Many posters recommended looking for private rentals versus large commercial ventures, as they might be more lenient.

My question is, where do these people looking to rent privately advertise? Craigslist? Word of mouth? And do you mention the dog up front, or after you've met and they can (hopefully) have a better idea that we wont suck as tenants? Thanks for the advice; I don't have much experience trying to move with pets.
    Realtor.com
    or go to a realtor and ask them to find you a place.

If you are military, try A.H.R.N.com

Try finding a place after renting a farm for 2 years. People were amazed that I have that many animals lol. I found a mobile home where the landlord didn't care how many animals I had just as long as I didn't burn the place down! It's not the greatest but it sure beats living in a motel with 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 birds, and 2 bunnies. I had to give away my daughter's yorkshire pig and boarded my 2 horses at the place we were at before we rented the farm

Thanks for the suggestions. Started fishing on craigslist and realtor.com but so far, no dice. Either dog is a no-go or people are looking to rent before we are ready (don't need to move until June). I hate waiting until last minute for these sorts of things!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My parents ended up hiring a realtor when we rented for a year. We had 1 dog and 3 cats at the time, so not exactly a landlords dream lol. Realtor was able to find us lots of options that did not come up on craigslist etc, so it may be worth spending the $. Or ask your roomie to consider spending the $ since it is her dog.

I also found that when I actually showed my face at the realtors they came up with stuff that wasn't online for whatever reason.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    My parents ended up hiring a realtor when we rented for a year. We had 1 dog and 3 cats at the time, so not exactly a landlords dream lol. Realtor was able to find us lots of options that did not come up on craigslist etc, so it may be worth spending the $. Or ask your roomie to consider spending the $ since it is her dog.

I also found that when I actually showed my face at the realtors they came up with stuff that wasn't online for whatever reason.
    You don't pay a realtor to find you rentals. The commission is paid to the realtor by the property manager.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    You don't pay a realtor to find you rentals. The commission is paid to the realtor by the property manager.
    Oh. Well. She was the same lady who helped us look for houses to buy too. I was living abroad at the time and clearly did not pay attention to the details!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Don't forget to PLACE an ad on craigslist in the "Housing Wanted" section. Mention the dog and that way you know anyone who contacts you with available housing is already okay with your dog.

Good luck!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I did not know that, thanks! Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Don't forget to PLACE an ad on craigslist in the "Housing Wanted" section. Mention the dog and that way you know anyone who contacts you with available housing is already okay with your dog.

Good luck!
    I've done this, but so far all I've received are solicitations from people who text speak online and sign their names "Johnny D." Sorry, but I automatically eliminate these people. Not everyone is fabulous at spelling and grammar, but quasi-full sentences are a must.