The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Let's try this again. Big dogs and apartment hunting...what a PITA

My old thread went poof just as I was replying to it. Basically, I am moving this summer and my roommate has a sizeable boxer. Trying to find a place has been a pain, because apparently boxers are on the Undesirable List. Many posters recommended looking for private rentals versus large commercial ventures, as they might be more lenient.

My question is, where do these people looking to rent privately advertise? Craigslist? Word of mouth? And do you mention the dog up front, or after you've met and they can (hopefully) have a better idea that we wont suck as tenants? Thanks for the advice; I don't have much experience trying to move with pets.

I'd mention it up front, since some private homes will have strict policies no matter how nice you are at first meeting. As a landlord I also would never relax my rules based on first impressions (oh they seem nice, surely their boxer won't be a problem); most people try to give a nice first impression and it can mean nothing at all. You'll just waste your time and theirs if they have a no-pet (or no large dog) rule and you arrange meetings/viewings.

And yeah, when I was looking to rent in NC Craigslist seemed the place to go for privates.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Mention the dog upfront and get references from past landlords. As to your question on the other topic about weight, some apt complexes with weight limits don't actually enforce them. There's a girl who lives in my apt complex who has an at least 70lbs great dane (I'm really bad at judging dogs weights - it could well be bigger!). The apt complex weight limit is 45lbs. Your bigger problem is going to be breed, sadly .

I'd also be looking for places on craigslist. Rules are sometimes less strict in the country.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Some insurance companies want to underwrite the type of dog on the property. I know that my carrier will not cover my rental if the tenant has pit bulls or similar breeds. Not saying it is right, but I need the insurance coverage so I am not arguing with the carrier on this point. As a prospective tenant, one thing that you can do is be very clear that 1)you are more than willing to pay a pet deposit and 2)you carry your own liability insurance (i.e. renters coverage) that would cover the dog bite risk.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I advertised exclusively on Craigslist and got 2 great renters that way. By the number of legitimate replies I got I would guess that Craigslist is the common way to go. Mention the dog up front, maybe not the breed unless they ask. IMO, boxer isn't one of those breeds you think "Ohh, dangerous", like the rap pits and rotties tend to get.

Too bad you weren't looking to move 3 months ago! I live in PA and just had an apartment open.

Offer to pay a pet deposit, make sure to mention how well behaved the dog is, and you should be able to find something!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Craigslist and local rental/real estate websites. In my opening email looking for more information, I stated up front that we had a large dog, and enquired about the pet policy.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

We have two big dogs. At the time that we got each of the dogs, we had a home and no intentions of moving else we wouldn't have had big dogs. When we started looking for a rental house/town home we found that virtually zero managed properties allowed dogs and if they did, the weight limit was 40lbs. Ours are 90 each.

We ended up going with a private deal. There are pros and cons. On the upside, you are more likely to get the dog in. Downside is that you don't necessarily have the same level of professionalism and maintenance.

Craigslist or driving around and seeing signs is how we found all of the ones we looked at.

If you have someone who is on the fence with regards to the dog, having a letter from your previous land lord and/or letting the dog do an "interview" with the land lord might help.

Even though we moved in w/ the land owners knowing we had pets, I think they were really nervous about it. We invited them over about a month ago to see the property and meet the dogs. We've been here since Nov. The land lady was impressed and the dogs definitely were on their best behavior. I think that helped their confidence level.

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Unfortunately, boxers are on many rental agreements restricted dogs list. I wish you luck.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have THREE big dogs. An American Bulldog, a Boxer mix, and a mutt. I looked for private owners by driving around neighborhoods, looking on craigslist, posting on facebook, and searching property managers in my area.

From my first "private owner" experience I knew I would never go back to living in an apartment like setting. So much more friendly, stay out of the way, helpful, got things done right away, reasonable in price, etc. I have nothing but great things to say about leasing from private owners. Maybe I got lucky. If making sure maintanence gets done scares you about purely private owners go through a property manager. They are kind of the best of both worlds.

Now I own my own home at lease out two rooms. I have no policy against the weight or breed of any pet. That is what rocks about private owners, they go by their own rules... nobody elses.

Check with your local animal shelter and see if they have a pet friendly apartment list. That might give you some other options.

When I had rental property I advertised in the local penny saver. I admit, this was before Craigslist.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Our situation is a little unique in that the dog is only going to be living with us part-time. Of course from the landlord's perspective, any time at all is going to impart liability/possible damage so a full pet deposit is expected.

http://www.madisonapartmentgroup.com/

tends to be very pet-friendly. My complex is packed with people who have one or even two quite large dogs. They supposedly don't allow certain breeds, but don't appear to enforce this very carefully. Boxers aren't on their "no" list though.

Also if you can get your dog to pass the Canine Good Citizen test you can use that as "solid proof" that your dog is well-behaved.

Before we bought a house, we looked for apartments with an Aussie and a pitbull mix by making them resumes: one sheet per dog with photos, a list of training and skills, and a little bio about their history and temperaments. The landlords loved it! We had no trouble finding housing.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

^I love that idea and its definitely something I'll consider when I next move.

My group is www.tributeproperties.com - they have been great & really accommodating of my larger medium sized dog (she's ~50lbs). They've also been awesome to work with and I will definitely look for another of their complexes when I move again.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Well, since people are throwing out specific groups (which I LOVE, thanks!), the area we're looking at is Winchester, VA. We will both be working out of VHMC and the school of pharmacy, so we are hoping to stay somewhere nearby. I must say, for as rural as the area is I have been rather suprised by the housing rates. Not as bad as it was right outside DC, but higher than I was anticipating.

I love the idea about the resume. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Ask at your vet clinic. That's how I found a great rental when I had 2 dogs, and absolutely scored because I was also able to keep my elderly horse there.

Definitely search for a private owner. You can try searching on Zillow or Realtor.com too (in addition to Craigslist). Also, sometimes you can go through a realtor who will know about a home that is coming up for rent before it is officially listed.

Just a note of encouragement. While waiting for our house to move to, We stayed in a basement apartment for 3 months in the less desired section of town. Paid a pet deposit too. All for a 75 pound Dobermann. The horses were less trouble. The things we do to have animals...

In addition to all the great suggestions above (references, CGC, resume), we always offered to pay double to the damage deposit to show we would take care of any problems. We always got it back. Boxers are on many of the insurance bad lists, so staying away from corporate owned buildings might be easier. Can you get a small house instead of an apartment?

Before we bought, we used a realtor to help us find a rental place. It makes you seem more responsible to the landlords, and there are often nice, affordable places that won't be on Craigslist. There shouldn't be any fee for you since the realtor will get commission from the property owners. When we have our place up for rent, we only advertise through MLS because we don't want to have to deal with the whacknuts that can sometimes populate Craigslist.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.