The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

caryledee, thank you so much for your input!!!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Incidently if you are looking for a place that does blinker hoods, these people are really good: http://tfloki.com/blinkers.html. They were the only place that had hoods big enough for my guy. Great customer service too! I did get a hood with a full cup over the injured eye so he could not rub it. I also ended up getting one of these: http://jupitervetproducts.com/eyesaver.aspx which has gauze and a cotton lining to absorb the moisture.
    I'd be cautious about those. We thought that one would be good for my mare Holly when she scratched her eye. (We were given Atropine, and she DID COLIC ) so tried to find one in our area, but were told that what would happen, is that the horse would dent in the bubble part, then there would be a pointy part of plastic pointing TOWARD the eye. We went with a regular fly mask and she stayed in her stall.

Jingles!!

if you are worried about the eye cup breaking, get one with the steel mesh cups, I had one for a mare with an eye injury who was a bad rubber and she squished it slightly but it didn't break/develope sharp edges. They are called a Pellings Pacifier I believe.

When my mare was at Auburn they loaned me a mask that looked like the eye saver.
    If that is what it was it would take a powerful lick to break the eye cover.

My mare was able to be turned out with the lavage and the mask and did fine but I was warned to not turn her out with another horse.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Originally Posted by Laurierace
    I have used the finger method countless times over the years with no issue. With or without a lip chain.

Yes!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I was told he could be turned out if he gets the lavage, but to be careful of course putting the halter on and off. He gets turned out alone. Rolling, though, would be a concern so....not sure if I'd choose instead to just hand graze.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Caryledee - please tell me you used Dr. Latimer? I've got one at R&R right now with a bad corneal ulcer that also has a slight rupture. Right now I'm just praying we don't lose the eye.... I can't imagine bringing her home in a few days!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    The horse needs to be stalled if the lavage is put in. And even then, they can get rubbed out. It is still the best option for a horse that will not cooperate though.

I am curious; how does a tube of neosporin make treating easier? It still comes down to putting gunk on your finger and putting it in the eye. I know the eye meds are more expensive, but you can get terramycin fairly cheap if you know where to look.
    It was easier to use the Neosporin because the original medicine was a liquid drop in a tube with a pointy plastic tip. Like someone else said, it was hard to pull the eyelid down, aim and get exactly two drops onto the eye before she blinked or tossed her head -- not to mention trying not to poke her in the eye. It was also hard to be sure if I got the right amount onto the eye or if I was mistaken and missed altogether. The Neosporin was easy because I could put a glob on my finger and simultaneously smear it into the corner of her eye and give a quick slidey push over the actual eye. What didn't make it onto the right spot would get blinked around. Oh, and I hope you are not intimidated by my highly technical medical terminology!

I get it! My older guy is on drops now for glaucoma. Hate, hate hate them!! The drops are clear so I can never tell how much goes in if I do it straight from the bottle. So I started putting them in a syringe, but trying to get the liquid in the syringe without wasting any is a whole nother issue...

Ointment is much easier. All of the stuff I have used for corneal ulcers has been in ointment form.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    Caryledee - please tell me you used Dr. Latimer? I've got one at R&R right now with a bad corneal ulcer that also has a slight rupture. Right now I'm just praying we don't lose the eye.... I can't imagine bringing her home in a few days!
    So sorry! Yes, she was out on several occasions when I was going through this.

My friend's horse in Florida had one that ruptured last year. They thought they would lose the eye, but she pulled through with sight intact. I hope yours does too!

I hate eye stuff!!

So do I! Today's update was a smidge better. Keeping my fingers crossed every day that she continues to improve without surgical intervention! I may owe Rood & Riddle for the rest of my life! (But that's okay cause that's where she needs to be!)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II