The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you rather have more pay or more time off?

Because I haven't found a job yet where I can have both!

If you had to choose (or based on your past choices!), which would you rather have? Higher salary or more vacation time?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Can't take vacay without money to do it. So I have typically preferred $$ over time off.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Depends on the money difference. If its under like 10k I'd take the time off, because I could teach more fitness classes or make more browbands or what have you, and make up the difference. If it's more than that then I wouldn't likely be able to make up the difference elsewhere so I'd take the money.

I vote for more time off....

Money here.

In a perfect world, more time off. However, I get four weeks a year plus fed. holidays, employee appreciation days, etc. I never get to take all the vacation I have. I'm voting for the same amount of vacation days and more pay. Not taking paid vacation is just throwing money away and, sadly, for the most part the bosses don't even recognize it.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

both as I have told the owners, when I take a vacation I just may not come back

Depends on just how large the $$ difference is, how much PTO we're talking about, and the opportunity to earn more PTO with each year with the company.

I don't think I EVER used all my time off in my last gig and wound up taking a couple weeks (or more) at the end of the year in order not to lose it. While it was cool to have a winter holiday, I would have taken more money and worked that time if I could have.

I can never decide, so I've started working term positions that pay well. Then, if I want and can afford time off, I just don't line up a new contract right away...

More pay so I could event more often!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I would like to be offered the OPTION as to which to take, which is why I kind of don't have a problem with the law being proposed. I've worked hard my entire life and still only get 2 weeks vacation every year. In order to horse show beyond that, I have to take it as leave without pay, so I'd way rather have the option of deciding which hours to take in comp time.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

More vacation time, with the company required to pay out any unused time at the end of the year.

I get 3 weeks, but I can never take it all, and the company has a use it or lose it policy that they instituted in order to get people to take time off, except they don't allow you to...

So I think that companies should be required to pay you unused vacation time.

4 members found this post helpful.

From where I stand now, more time off. I don't make huge amounts of money, but the job is physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding. I would love a few more days or another week (I get 10 days now) so that I could get a little extra down time or compete further away with a little more comfort. The money isn't terribly important to me as long as I can cover everything, and I don't need extravagant vacations....just a long weekend here or a few days there.

I took the route of More Money and Less Vacation, but it was because of many circumstances.

The job with lots of vacay was super high-pressure and very demanding. From a stress-level standpoint, I couldn't get enough time off, so I appreciated the extra days. But when it came down to brass tacks, I couldn't get all of the work they expected me to do actually finished when I took all the days off. And I always put in 50-60 hour weeks, so really the time off wasn't time off, it was more like comp time....

So, I found a less-stress position in a company that I'm just a much better fit with. I make about $8k more than I did at the last place. I only have 2 weeks of vacay now, but I don't care because I actually look forward to coming to work every morning.

My husband gets about 5-6 vacation depending on the carryover. When I started this job I insisted on 3 weeks and even offered to lower my salary by 2k in order to get it. I am in my 40's and an only child of an elderly parent. I need extra time off. But I am fortunate that I have my husband's salary to fall back on.

In a recent interview with a recruiter I told her I would take no less than 3 weeks vacation. I just can't make it work on 2 weeks. We always take one week a year somewhere, then between Christmas and random days off, it just eats up your time.

I already get a lot of time off, so definitely more pay! Reasons? 2 kids in college, regular trips to help aging parents, and maybe that way I could keep my horse at the big event barn that has an indoor, a BN-T cross country course, and good instruction Maybe if the planets aligned I could even start eventing again!

One can dream....!!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'd rather have money.

We accrue 2 vacation days and 1 sick day a month, plus we get every government holiday off AND the days between Christmas Eve and New Years Day off. We can bank up to 24 vacation days and something like 150 sick days. It's insane. I wind up taking days off just to sit at home because I don't want to loose my vacation days but I also can't afford to go on vacation much. Right now I have 19 vacation days and 90 sick days. I'm grateful to have so much time off, I'm sure it will come in handy eventually, but I'd like a little less time off and a little more $$.

We also don't get paid overtime, instead we get comp time for any extra weekend work we do (which for me is a decent amount) but that drives me nuts because we already get a ton of time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I'd rather have money.

We accrue 2 vacation days and 1 sick day a month, plus we get every government holiday off AND the days between Christmas Eve and New Years Day off. We can bank up to 24 vacation days and something like 150 sick days. It's insane. I wind up taking days off just to sit at home because I don't want to loose my vacation days but I also can't afford to go on vacation much. Right now I have 19 vacation days and 90 sick days. I'm grateful to have so much time off, I'm sure it will come in handy eventually, but I'd like a little less time off and a little more $$.

We also don't get paid overtime, instead we get comp time for any extra weekend work we do (which for me is a decent amount) but that drives me nuts because we already get a ton of time off.
    This would be a godsend for those of us in higher-stress positions who could really use 3 months paid time off every couple years. Jealous

....Flexibility. I generally don't want/need big chunks of time at once, but being able to say "I'm going to Milwaukee for a competition for two days" without it being a big deal would be nice.

I get 4 weeks vaca and a week of personal. Our company allows you to carry over some time within a certain limit. The sent out a memo stating they believe this will encourage employees to take time off and help create a better work/life balance.

However, I also enjoy my job and coming to work. If I were to have carryover, I would like to be able to have it paid out.

So I guess I'm saying I would want the money. Even better if I had a choice