The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sara Greenhalgh - why can't they solve her murder

I didn't know Sara, but I was deeply troubled by her passing. The story of her death was horrific & as a horse person with an interest in journalism, I felt somehow drawn to the story. I periodically google search for updates & there is nothing. It just makes me sick for her family & friends to not have justice. I keep waiting for her story to turn up on 48 hours or dateline....hopefully, with an update of a conviction.

I knew her slightly, because we used to live in the same town and I actually worked for a neighbor of the family. It certainly was a bizarre situation, and I do hope that we aren't hearing anything simply because the police want to preserve the case.

I remember seeing her mother out hunting on her cob--I'm not sure if she's still alive, but if she is, what a horrible way to lose a child. Not that there is any good way, but...jeez, I can't imagine.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I knew her faintly from horse events. She was nice and smiled a lot and remembered me enough that we could have some small talk. Nice lady, awful story.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

All we know is that it became a multi-state Federal investigation. After that happened, they shut the door and kept everything to themselves.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    All we know is that it became a multi-state Federal investigation. After that happened, they shut the door and kept everything to themselves.
    That is really creepy. It so much reminds me of the woman who shot and killed her live in boyfriend, she owned polo ponies, her father was an arms merchant. I am pretty sure it was Middleburg. She shot him in the back of the head, and then she went to watch TV in jail for a little while being treated rather nicely. I cannot for the life of me remember her name but her father made gazillions shipping arms to all kind of savory characters around the world. I knew Sara only by her writing, it is such a shock that nothing more has surfaced. Does no one care in the legal system there that a murderer is still out there some where?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    That is really creepy. It so much reminds me of the woman who shot and killed her live in boyfriend, she owned polo ponies, her father was an arms merchant. I am pretty sure it was Middleburg. She shot him in the back of the head, and then she went to watch TV in jail for a little while being treated rather nicely. I cannot for the life of me remember her name but her father made gazillions shipping arms to all kind of savory characters around the world. I knew Sara only by her writing, it is such a shock that nothing more has surfaced. Does no one care in the legal system there that a murderer is still out there some where?
    the chick who shot her polo player BF made dateline or something like that.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

There was a lot more to Susan's story than what was sensationalized on City Confidential. The two stories are in no way similar
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it's important to remember that there's only so fast an investigation can move and still be accurate. There is a difference between "solving" a murder and having enough evidence for a conviction. If someone screws up, the evidence gets misinterpreted or thrown out of court completely. Solving crimes isn't like CSI shows. Results on some things can take months to come back. There isn't always a smoking gun sitting there that ends the whole thing in an hour. And most juries expect the evidence in a murder trial to read like a CSI episode, which can make getting a conviction more difficult. Far better to take the time up front to NOT screw things up than find the guy, have everything fall apart in court, and end up with a not guilty verdict.

3 members found this post helpful.

Please excuse me as i dont know of the case and specifics

How long has it been since the murder?

It is possible the case was deemed cold from lack of new leads/evidence or that there is not enough evidence to procicute with

"Cold" means that it has been fillied away and put on the back burner until something new brings the case back out

They may be keeping under wraps from the public, but alot of the time its public leads that help, unless there is something bigger going on warrenting secrecy

My condolences to friends and family i know the pain, just last year i lost a friend(also a equestrian) to a drunk driver, made worse by the slap on the wrist sentence he got!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching

TEAM PRINCE VEGETA OF SAYJINS

My daughter was her friend. I can't believe they've made no progress on her case and I fear they now will never solve it.

I don't know what she was investigating at her death and wonder if that is what led to her death.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Sing Mia - the last article I can find is from Oct & her Mom (widow) was alive then. In the article, she says she has faith in the investigators. It says she retrieved what she could of her daughter's belongings & although they smell of smoke, they are almost comforting as she feels her daughter is there. It is just tragic. 9 months is too long! Bring peace for this poor woman. I know at one point they had someone in custody on un-related charges, but don't know if this person is still in custody. I'll continue to remember this person I never knew & hope she can one day RIP with someone behind bars for her murder.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My daughter was her friend. I can't believe they've made no progress on her case and I fear they now will never solve.
    Real life crime investigation is not TV.

investigators don't normally release progress reports. At some point, the case will get turned over to investigators who do cold cases. There is a huge difference between suspecting who committed the crime and having enough evidence for an arrest. Once arrested, the suspect is charged and typically has a jury trial. The jury listens to evidence presented by both side and makes a determination of guilty or not guilty. If found not guilty, the matter is done and the individual cannot be tried again for the same crime. This can all be a time consuming process.

This can all be very hard on the family and friends who may never get justice even if they think they know who committed the crime.

2 members found this post helpful.

A friend of my husband's was killed in her house in Plymouth, NH, a tiny little college town. More than 20 years ago. Never solved. Still open, the last time I asked. Will probably never be solved. She opened the door to someone and that someone shot her.
    blogging at HN: http://www.horsenation.com/
    check out my writing: http://jeseymour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    That would be Susan Cummings, who still lives in the area. The farm where the incident took place was sold in 2004 and she relocated to another farm in Culpeper. She is still heavily involved in the local Polo scene and praised by anyone who gets within earshot of her and her entourage.
    Last edited by LexInVA; Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    Real life crime investigation is not TV.

investigators don't normally release progress reports. At some point, the case will get turned over to investigators who do cold cases. There is a huge difference between suspecting who committed the crime and having enough evidence for an arrest. Once arrested, the suspect is charged and typically has a jury trial. The jury listens to evidence presented by both side and makes a determination of guilty or not guilty. If found not guilty, the matter is done and the individual cannot be tried again for the same crime. This can all be a time consuming process.

This can all be very hard on the family and friends who may never get justice even if they think they know who committed the crime.
    Real life says if it's not solved in the first 72 hours, it's unlikely to be solved. And you have to wonder in this situation, if someone didn't want it solved.

"Conventional wisdom in homicide investigations holds that speed is of the essence. The notion is that any case that is not solved or that lacks significant leads and witness participation within the first 72 hours has little likelihood of being solved, regardless of the expertise and resources deployed. Over time, unsolved cases become "cold." Cases most likely to be classified as cold include gang- and drug-related deaths; cases involving immigrants, transients, and homeless or unidentified people; unclassified deaths; and unsolved police shootings. Cold cases are among the most difficult and frustrating cases detectives face. These cases are, in effect, cases that other investigators, for whatever reason, could not solve."

https://www.ncjrs.gov/html/bja/coldcasesquads/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    Please excuse me as i dont know of the case and specifics
    pls see:

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/07...ire-77722.html
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post

The Equiery also had some coverage of this case -

http://equiery.com/blog/?s=greenhalgh&x=15&y=15

The last little blurb I read about the Greenhalgh case was that they were considering a former boyfriend as a serious "person of interest". Never heard afterwards how, or if, that panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Real life says if it's not solved in the first 72 hours, it's unlikely to be solved. And you have to wonder in this situation, if someone didn't want it solved."
    Who do you think didn't want it solved and if not LE/DA, that they would have influence over both LE/DA?

Most of the LE I have talked to about homicides feel they speak for the victim and want justice for the victim and as well family, friends.

Sounds like LE has a person of interest but that may not be enough even for an arrest much less trial.

Many years ago, we had an off-duty LE killed. From discussions I have had, sounds like many have a strong feeling who committed the crime but not near enough hard evidence for an arrest and trial.

In this region, politics always trump justice when it comes to criminal matters. It's entirely possible she was looking into something that someone with money or political connections wants hushed up but all we can do is wonder. Maybe she got involved in a relationship with a deranged but powerful individual, of which there are many around here. If you do some digging, you'll find all sorts of disgusting and disturbing people in the upper echelons of social and political power-player groups here.
    SPACE FOR RENT