The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Farmhouse is one our favorite tack shops! My daughter actually just bought a leather Pikeur belt from the Farmhouse mobile unit. The belt was a little too big and they took the belt apart, cut it to size and reassembled it while she waited. They have proven time and time again that they truly appreciate our business and we will continue to buy from them. We've bought anything from treats, shirts, vet wrap, show jackets and up to a Butet saddle from them in the mobile unit, by the website and by phone calls. Currently my daughter needs a birthday gift for a barn friend and she is waiting until we get to the Aiken show to buy from there mobile unit.

It is unfortunate you had a negative experience. But don't write them off your list, you'd be missing out on one of the better tack shops around.

I have had nothing but great experiences with the Farm House. Noreen and staff are fabulous. That being said, things do happen. I wouldn't quit shopping there because of one unfortunate experience.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Thanks everybody for your stories. Did get a message from Farm house this am telling me they would like to credit my card and reimburse me for the shipping. I appreciate hearing all the positive feedback. It is really hard to know with online retailers these days. I only had a limited experience with the company, and while I agree mistakes do happen, I wanted to be sure that it was a mistake, and not an common issue. That was my point of posting and asking. I live no where near SC, but do think they may have been the mobile unit that I shopped at when I competed at the Pa National Horse show a few years back. I had a negative experience, and didn't want that to happen again. I have no idea without asking if anyone else has had these issues. My neighbor or boarders do not shop at this store, so it isn't like I could ask them. I'm sorry if some of you felt like I was being overly critical. I wasn't trying to be. I love shopping online now, especially since shopping with a 2 and 4 yo child is practically impossible. But, sometimes the online experience can be a lot more hassle than it is worth. I like to order, pay, and get my product. Having to keep track of wrong items being sent, and delayed shipments is a hassle to me. I don'tparticularly like to have to make multiple follow-up phone calls. one is OK, but several, not so much. Sounds like from the above posts, that my experience was an isolated incident, and not the norm. As you can see from my number of posts and length of membership, it's not like I am on here everyday complaining about every bad experience I have come across. I actually just posted about a really great experience I had with another tack shop. Yes, I agree that forums and social media can make it hard for stores, but I will say, I have tried some products and retailers that I NEVER would have found without the help of the chronicle forums. I actually just bought an ear bonnet from De La Coeur due to positive reviews found on here. So, thanks again for everyone's insight!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    With all that goes on in the world, I find it annoying when people use this forum to vent their little personal problems. A little personal vendetta in the guise of "helping".
    OP, I agree with ToTheNines. I kept waiting to get the "bad" part of your story - I just didn't get there. Call and ask them to refund your shipping and move on. Stuff happens. I doubt it was intentional since they have a pretty stellar repuatation.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnow View Post
    Tothenines-

Social media is the very best way to express disappointment or happiness with a vendor. Word of mouth is how I find out about many of the vendors I patrononize with my business. Businesses should know this and work for excellence at all times. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to post the good and the bad.
    Yeah, but a lot of times people are just wining and they are crappy customers. I would have assumed something slipped through the cracks like Melissa said - no big deal, it happens, get on the phone yourself and be proactive.Why didn't she ask for a refund? Perhaps the girl on the phone didn't completely understand the situuation yet OP just hung up the phone and pouted without speaking up. Then she comes to the internet to make it a big deal, when really, it's not.

I worked in retail many years and would never go back. I had enough of passive aggressive complainers who think mistakes never happen. Sorry, it's a sore subject for me!
    Last edited by hundredacres; Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaspen View Post
    I live no where near SC, but do think they may have been the mobile unit that I shopped at when I competed at the Pa National Horse show a few years back. I had a negative experience, and didn't want that to happen again.
    Aaspen - The furthest north we go is the KY Horse Park, so the PA National mobile you shopped was definitely *not* us.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

2 members found this post helpful.

After reading the above posts, I'm thinking I won't ever post again. Geez. I waited over a month for a product, that never came. The day I made my last call, (1 month after initial order) they said they would ship it out that day, so I cancelled after a month of waiting. I probably made a total of 6 phone calls regarding this not including the initial order, and I had to pay to ship the wrong belt back at my expense. It not that it didn't fit. It was the wrong belt in 4 sizes to big. Anyway, they have called and are resolving the issue. I was looking for some help trying to decide if others had issues similar to mine, not anything else. If others did have issues, I would have struck them off my list of places to purchase in the future. I do almost all of my horsey purchases online. But, everyone proved to me that my experience was not the norm.

6 members found this post helpful.

Actually it does sound like a big deal if she had to call 6 times! Give her a break she was just asking a question! Farm house was on here and apologized for the mistake, so clearly it was not her fault. I'm not saying anything bad against them because I love them but sometimes mistakes happen, and they have taken responsibility for it. Maybe we have so many issues with retail because of bitter people like you.

5 members found this post helpful.

LOL....yeah, thats why

Many years ago I was there for the hunt races and won $800 in a Calcutta. Although they were closed the day I was flying home, they opened just for me so I could shop.

my kind of store...

Liza
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    If I have a problem with a business's that's not quickly resolved I usually call back and ask to speak to the owner or manager and explain my frustration. I would do that long before posting on a public forum. If I'd had repeated problems with rude service then that would be different. I just have done business with this store for many years with really wonderful experiences so I'd be shocked if they wouldn't resolve it
    Agree with this. It's not like they had the belt right in front of them when you ordered. In a situation like this I'd give the Farmhouse some slack. Granted they made a mistake but it's not like you were ordering something generic like a helmet where you simply give the size and item name. There are variations of Pikeur belts and the first sales person may have left out one of the belt details and then told the person in the mobile unit something else. Kind of like that game telephone, you know? The sales girl you talked to may not have had the authorization to send you a return label or maybe she didn't know she could. In the end it all worked out.

Try working in retail and you'll see what a difficult business it is.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaspen View Post
    After reading the above posts, I'm thinking I won't ever post again. Geez. I waited over a month for a product, that never came. The day I made my last call, (1 month after initial order) they said they would ship it out that day, so I cancelled after a month of waiting. I probably made a total of 6 phone calls regarding this not including the initial order, and I had to pay to ship the wrong belt back at my expense. It not that it didn't fit. It was the wrong belt in 4 sizes to big. Anyway, they have called and are resolving the issue. I was looking for some help trying to decide if others had issues similar to mine, not anything else. If others did have issues, I would have struck them off my list of places to purchase in the future. I do almost all of my horsey purchases online. But, everyone proved to me that my experience was not the norm.
    Don't be afraid of the aptly named "nags" on this board who like to take the bite and make us realize just how mean some horsey people can be. Where else would you have heard if other people have had problems? and having to make 6 calls is a PITA. I've seen other people post about other companies with lesser situations (and more serious) and the same message comes up from one or two people who don't realize the power of social media and understand that it goes both ways.

I can't say I have ever had a problem with Farm House. Boyfriend ordered me an ariat jacket and I just bought a beautiful showcoat and they were lovely to deal with and help me pick the right one out. I think this might be one of those one time things that ends up being the exception, not the rule as opposed to other companies.

6 members found this post helpful.

I can't find any info regarding this sale Farmhouse is having!?

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    Do you do Facebook? Information is posted on their page there. Many more like this:

http://www.facebook.com/farmhouse.ta.../4567454226113

The Farm House is phenomenal. They have sent me photos of items to compare in the past, called me back after hours to help, and gone above and beyond for an out of state customer. OP's experience is clearly not the norm. Busy sales folk make mistakes people.....surely everyone on this board who is seeing nasty is perfect....but I know I've made a mistake or two when busy before...
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    Just call them. They don't have info about it on their website. I bought two Grand Prix jackets on sale via telephone and couldn't be happier.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have only had terrific experiences in dealing with them.

OP, glad they are resolving the problem.

I am not sure why so many people have their panties in a bunch about this thread. In the end the OP's post here is actually giving this tack store a good review since most people are raving about them and the tack store has posted an wonderful apology and a resolution. Clearly it was one of those mistakes and clearly it needed attention.

It is ironic that people post how petty it is to post a complaint.

3 members found this post helpful.

As I sat reading this thread, UPS pulled up. I opened the box and there was a brand new pair of Da Vinci boots from the farm house. I had sent back my daughters pair of boots to see if they could get a new zipper in them as she had worn them very hard this past year and the zipper broke. I did not expect a new pair, WOW. I love the farm house. My favorite reason for showing in Tryon is to shop there. Several times we have traveled the 4 hours to show and had the show cancelled because of ice and snow or rain... even the parents don't mind as we pile into the farm house for shopping...
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Hmmmm. Maybe this is a good reason to schedule a southern trip next winter : ) I'm happy to hear from all of you, but sounds like a great excuse, I suddenly feel the need to "check it out in person" ; )