The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Poor customer service at the Farm House in SC

Just thought I would share my experience that I have recently had with the Farm House tack shop in SC. I found them due to their big coat sale, and bought 2 coats from them which were nice coats at a great price. In addition, I also bought a $600 pair of tall boots and a $130 show shirt at regular price. They give a discount coupon to new customer after they spend a certain amount within a certain timeframe (not sure of the specifics). Anyway, I thought maybe I would stray from my normal store of choice (Smartpak) and get something else with my $25 coupon. So, I attempted to purchase a Pikeur belt. Told them what I would like, in what size. They said they would have to send it from the mobile unit which was in transit. No problem I thought, since I wasn't in a rush. About a week later the wrong belt, in the wrong size arrived. So, I PAID to ship the wrong belt back, and clarified what I was looking for, and waited again. After about 2 more weeks I called. They promised me the belt would ship out that day, the mobile unit had it in stock. The next week, which was exactly 1 month and 1 day after my credit card was charged, I called and asked them to just cancel it, as I felt as if I was never going to see this belt. That was last Tuesday. Today I called and asked why my credit card had not been credited yet, and they assured me that the $45 would be back on by the end of the week. I paid $51 for the belt. They said they would put $51 back on after I pointed that out. This is my first real dealings with this tack shop. They seemed so nice on the phone when I ordered my boots and shirt and 2 coats. But, this whole belt experience makes me hesitate to ever call again. They didn't even seem sorry that it was never right, and never offered to credit me for the return shipping for the wrong belt. Anyone have any similar experiences?!?!?

2 members found this post helpful.

I've only ever dealt with them once, when I asked them to see if there were any sale coats in my size during the big sale. I got a phone call from a sales associate describing everything they had in my size - very pleasant to deal with.

However, I did want to point out that your credit card can take 1-2 billing cycles to see the credit applied. It doesn't mean they haven't put through a refund, but it won't show up on your statement until at least the next billing cycle.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

2 members found this post helpful.

well I am singing their praises right about now since I just spent $96 and got a Grand Prix hunt coat for $10, a RJ shadbelly for $50 and TS schooling breeches for $25. Color me happy... I have dealt with them several times, including on a return of a bridle, and they have always been extremely helpful and while the credit did take time to show up, it did come and I assumed that was my banks delay.

Oh and I've always just spoken to them over the phone, not shopped in person, and they are so so helpful, digging through their racks to tell me what they had in my daughters size. Really exceptional to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Funny, I was just getting ready to post about the spectacular service I had from them the other day. My encounter was much less complicated, but they were great.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Every time I have dealt with them at the store, at a show or on the phone, I have only received the best customer service, I'm sorry you did not feel that way...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

When I lived in that neck of the woods, I shopped at The Farm House on a regular basis. I bought Danskos, paddock boots, various clothing, horse health & barn supplies...and all sorts of random stuff. The ONLY bad customer service I ever got was from one sales clerk in particular - she was absolutely rude & dreadful. If she was there, I always asked for assistance from someone else and they were happy to oblige. I thought she was no longer in their employ...perhaps she's the one you've been dealing with? lol

I have called them a couple times during their hunt coat sale. They were very helpful and sent me a beautiful marigold coat that I love. A lot of tack stores don't pay return shipping. Smartpak only started doing so in late 2011. I'm sorry you had a bad experience and I agree they should have handled the situation differently.

I've only had exceptionally good experiences with them in the past. Mistakes happen, and it is unfortunate, but if all ends up right in the end, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Sure won't outweigh all the good stories I'm hearing and my own experience.

Add me to the group who has only had exceptionally good service from them, especially when it came to getting a hunt coat. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

They are pleasant and hard working when selling stuff, but I, too, had to call and wait on refunds.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

So, I attempted to purchase a Pikeur belt. Told them what I would like, in what size. They said they would have to send it from the mobile unit which was in transit. No problem I thought, since I wasn't in a rush. About a week later the wrong belt, in the wrong size arrived. So, I PAID to ship the wrong belt back, and clarified what I was looking for, and waited again.
    The return shipping on this should've been paid by the company - wrong item shipped to customer, customer gets to call company for a Return Authorization # - you might call & enquire

With all that goes on in the world, I find it annoying when people use this forum to vent their little personal problems. A little personal vendetta in the guise of "helping".

I have had great service with Farm House, and even if I had a little problem, I would solve it -- like maybe ask for the refund before posting on a public forum.

On-line shopping has a little bit of "overhead" like this, especially for clothing and items where fits matter. The convenience comes with a little cost, and sometimes some extra effort. If on-line stores are forced to hire extra staff to appease impatient forum posters, we will all have to pay more.
    friend of bar.ka

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    With all that goes on in the world, I find it annoying when people use this forum to vent their little personal problems. I have had great service with Farm House, and even if I had a little problem, I would solve it -- like maybe ask for the refund.

On-line shopping has a little bit of "overhead" like this, especially for clothing and items where fits matter. The convenience comes with a little cost, and sometimes some extra effort.

Maybe a problem solver, not a problem dweller, and move on.
    Suck it. They sent the wrong item, made her pay to ship it back, and still haven't sent the right one. What else is she supposed to do? Magick her way over there and pick it up in person?

11 members found this post helpful.

I have always had the best customer service at the Farm House and found them friendly, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I don't know what happened in your situation, but it's pretty aggressive to start a hate thread on here. If you've had constant bad service then go ahead, but posting things that could damage a business should not be done casually.

I've found the Farm House to be one of the best in the business as do many people. I'm sure they do make mistakes, as does everyone, but they really are excellent

I've always had very friendly and professional service from Farm House. Sounds like this was just a mix-up between the store and the mobile unit and they are going to refund your card. What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Suck it. They sent the wrong item, made her pay to ship it back, and still haven't sent the right one. What else is she supposed to do? Magick her way over there and pick it up in person?
    If I have a problem with a business's that's not quickly resolved I usually call back and ask to speak to the owner or manager and explain my frustration. I would do that long before posting on a public forum. If I'd had repeated problems with rude service then that would be different. I just have done business with this store for many years with really wonderful experiences so I'd be shocked if they wouldn't resolve it

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    If I have a problem with a business's that's not quickly resolved I usually call back and ask to speak to the owner or manager and explain my frustration. I would do that long before posting on a public forum. If I'd had repeated problems with rude service then that would be different. I just have done business with this store for many years with really wonderful experiences so I'd be shocked if they wouldn't resolve it
    Well, it sounds like she did call them.

I do agree that maybe a week wasn't long enough to wait but I hate stores that don't communicate properly about reshipments, etc.

I have also had good service from the Farm House so I have no dog in this fight but I hate people who just label the complaints of others as petty and unwarranted solely because they would have done something differently, what with being a perfect person and all.

7 members found this post helpful.

Tothenines-

Social media is the very best way to express disappointment or happiness with a vendor. Word of mouth is how I find out about many of the vendors I patrononize with my business. Businesses should know this and work for excellence at all times. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to post the good and the bad.

5 members found this post helpful.

Default From The Farm House

Aaspen - We're very sorry you had a difficult shopping experience with us! We try hard every single day to make people happy and most of the time it works out perfectly. But we are a large, busy store, with a huge mobile unit and a web business, so sometimes things do fall through the cracks. We truly *hate* it when that happens. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication between our salesperson and yourself about exactly which Pikeur belt you wanted. We take full responsibility for that error, and hope you *will* consider giving us another chance in the future. Our customer service manager will be calling you again today to offer to refund your postage for the belt return.

Heartfelt THANKS to all of you who posted about your good experiences with us. We sincerely appreciate our customers and thoroughly enjoy helping you find the best tack, apparel and equipment available. In particular, it's been great fun helping you shop over the phone for sale coats... so awesome to have you call back and tell us we got it "just right!" (And there are plenty left - all priced $100 or under!)
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

20 members found this post helpful.

I have never had anything but great experiances with them. I just call and give them an idea of what I want, they search the racks and call me back with my options in detail. I love Farm House tack!