The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I travelled in Italy from France as a teenager, camping with friends. We went to Venice..and northern Italy to Switzerland. I loved Venice (that was in the 70s)..

Sophie, je vais chez ma mère, près d'Angers, puis nous retournons "aux sources" à Nancy. Ensuite, voyage éclair en Allemagne chez une amie d'enfance (Nancy aussi). Un weekend à La Rochelle est aussi prévu pour rendre visite à un oncle/tante. Quelques randonnées vers La Baule/Le Croisic... comme d'habitude!
    J'espère avoir du beau temps! Trop de monde et les billets d'avion sont bcp plus chers en été!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    If you see Bonet on the desert menu,definitely order it.

Basically a macaroon, chocolate and caramel custard.

SUBLIME!!

Also ricotta gnocci.
    Will do as long as you promise there is no coconut!

My husband and I went with my family in 2007. We rented a villa in the country outside of Pienza. Ate gelato every day and still lost 2 pounds from walking everywhere. We traveled to Florence and Siena plus stayed in Rome for 3 days . We are ready to move to Italy, lol. After returning home, we refused to eat what is called "Italian food" here in Texas until an Italian family opened a restaurant in a nearby town. That place cooks authentic Italian food- lightly sauced and flavorful-not the heavy red sauced stuff that is the norm around here. Oh, and I discovered risotto! Yum!!
    Someone mentioned pickpockets and I second her warning. We stayed very aware of our surroundings however we witnessed theft all around us. BTW, one favorite of thief's (if your on a train) is to watch where you sit (people often place their bags under their seat) and sit next to you, asking you to scoot down a bit. After riding for a bit, they reach under, grab YOUR bag, and leave.
    Anyway, Rick Steves forum is a good one. Have fun and stay safe!
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Will do as long as you promise there is no coconut!
    No coconut (I don't like coconut in desserts).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

How lucky are you?! Italy is a great place to visit. I am very fortunate because my daughter lives There with her husband and my two grand kids, so we get to go and visit a couple times a year. Make sure you eat EVERYTHING! Fantastic food, fantastic wine and fantastic country!

We are back! Had an amazing time. It was really interesting how the food varied from city to city.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02271.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	38855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02230.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	38856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02078.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	38857 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02215.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	38854

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    How lucky are you?! Italy is a great place to visit. I am very fortunate because my daughter lives There with her husband and my two grand kids, so we get to go and visit a couple times a year. Make sure you eat EVERYTHING! Fantastic food, fantastic wine and fantastic country!

you are a lucky dog indeed!

that is what I love about Europe... the language, the architecture and the food... everything varies from country to country, then from region to region and city to city. Here, not so much!

Hope you bought back some good balsamic vinegar. I go twice a year to the Lombardi region, Lago Maggoria, (sp?) - love it, love the people, food, architecture, history....gorgonzola cheese, too.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

We have Wegman's here so I already have access to good vinegar and olive oil. I only brought home some beautiful purses and some knock off cashmere scarves. I bought my purse for $39 euros in Venice. Over the rest of the trip I saw it for as much as $79.

Haha, I just returned today from 2 weeks in Italy (Riva del Garda), for work. It was awesome. Was able to do a day in Venice and Verona each. So beautiful (and delicious), it was my first time in Italy

Verona has some...interesting traditional dishes.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Yes I had a lot of fun too, in Tuscany. We ended up eating dinners prepared by the owners of the Podere, HUGE home-made meals, several courses, local dishes (all very good except for tripes - I don't do organ meats, lol) very nice people!
    We visited lots of beautiful small towns / villages (San Gimignano, Montereggiani, Volterra, Colle di Val d'Elsa among other gems), Siena was gorgeous, went into the Duomo and its crypt...
    We passed on Florence and Elba (too far, too many people) but we managed to fit in three 1/2 day hikes.
    On the way back to France I wanted to stop overnight at Cinque Terre, but we hadn't really planned it into our trip. Some other time!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I did see horse meat in the grocery store both times we went in there. The first time it was thinly sliced and I thought it was liver. The second time it was thicker and looked like a really red steak. It was sort of surreal seeing it lying there with all the other meat. I guess by the time it gets to that point it is the same.

Can I ask what you do for work? It would be awesome to have to go to Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Haha, I just returned today from 2 weeks in Italy (Riva del Garda), for work. It was awesome. Was able to do a day in Venice and Verona each. So beautiful (and delicious), it was my first time in Italy

Verona has some...interesting traditional dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIL View Post
    Can I ask what you do for work? It would be awesome to have to go to Italy.
    Military physician, I was there to support Deep Divex:
    http://www.stda.it/node/391

Aiming for Curacao next year

Awesome! You've probably had to travel more than your fair share.

Does your training make you less squeamish, or less affected, when dealing with horse injuries?

I think I'm emotionally affected as per normal when it's my horse (she hasn't had any "gruesome" injuries, but had a very scary colic episode last year), but yeah, I'm not squeamish to see the "gross" stuff. Probably that's true for most docs/vets, we got used to the visuals during training. I found the same when I was in Afghanistan; none of the docs I knew had the same reactions to the traumas we saw there as the troops bringing them in, because we knew what to expect and have seen similar (although on a lesser scale) during our trauma rotations.