The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking I am going to Italy!!

The timing is purely coincidental but I still think it is pretty cool that as a terror plot was unfolding on Monday afternoon, my Mom was booking her and I on a ten day tour of Italy in September. I was/am very excited but kept thinking that the only thing that isn't perfect about the trip is the fact that my hubby won't be there. We remedied that problem today and now the three of us will be roomies on our travels! Hubby is a saint and I am extra excited now!

We can only take one carry on size suitcase so I think I am going to buy and iPad or Kindle type thing so I don't have to fill my one suitcase up with books. It would be nice if it could upload pics onto FB and chat with the kids too. Any suggestions?

1 members found this post helpful.

you will be in ITALY!!! for only 10 days! you will not have time to read and if you do, you are doing something wrong. . Take a camera, an extra battery and SD card.

There are a crap-ton of threads involving travel and traveling light, there are some really great suggestions in there

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! Lucky you!

FWIW I just got an Apple refurbished iPad 2 on the Apple website and it cost alot less than a new one if you go that route.

Never been to Italy, so can't help you there, but I can tell you it's expensive! My mom's been there and told me about the $25 coffee & pastry!

You should try and go to Tesio's Dormello Stud. That would be so cool!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

oh man i'd spend the entire time at this place---
    http://www.ilparetaio.it/
    in Tuscany. they have fab horses and dressage instruction, amazing rooms and food and it's just wonderful.
    have a blast, I plan to spend next winter in sicily myself!

I truly envy people who can travel light. I can't... When I go over to France, I have only one suitcase... but coming back... nope I have to beg/steal/borrow/buy a second one. Too many things I want to bring back.
    I am bad! And I can do laundry, borrow my mom's sweaters if need be..her shoes too. Gah... but I need my laptop with me!
    Have fun! I have to start packing. I am leaving on Tuesday!

What region(s) will you be visiting? I lived in N. Italy for a time (near Aviano) I would strongly suggest getting up into the mountains around Cortina if you have time.

I haven't lived there since 2002 so I don't know how great the wireless connectivity is or how much it costs.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The books are for the flight, not the trip itself. We don't have a choice but to travel light, they won't let us bring anymore than that along. I would have to hire a pack mule to shadow me if I wanted to take more.

Here is the trip details, you can see we will have a little free time but most of it is structured. My Mom decided three's a crowd and upgraded to a single room for herself so hubby and I are bunking together.
    http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/it...-florence-rome

Can I tell you how jealous I am?
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I am so jealous too!! You will have a blast - hubby said he loved Italy when he was stationed there, especially Northern Italy. Be safe and take LOTS of pics to share!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Looks super fun! Italy is wonderful and you will be happy you packed light.

On Tuesday, I finally convinced my husband to book a long weekend in Cairo. He's been balking at Egypt for safety reasons for a while now. But, as I pointed out, if you can get caught in a bomb blast at the finish line in Boston, there isn't any place 'safe.' So, we finally get to see Giza ... carefully, of course, but I can't wait!

So jealous! Have fun, take a lot of pictures, journal if possible. Make certain to get family in as many pictures as possible. It makes the pictures more memorable.

Check out LLBean, Chicos and Coldwater Creek. All have travel clothes made of materials that don't wrinkle and can be hand washed in the sink and dry in the morning. Not very fancy or exciting, but that is why you carry jewelry, scarves and hats. One of my aunt traveled all over the world with a single little suitcase. She wore a light colored blouse with a black or navy skirt, she had sweater, a jacket and/or coat and very sensible low heels. Always proper, never flashy and she had the most fun traveling stress free.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Little roll up flats- take almost no room in your luggage. I got some from Me Too- that were awesome on my trip to Paris. Scarves are great for changing weather and can change up a look without taking up much room. Leggings are great- it was colder than I thought and I ended up wearing mine as long underwear under my jeans!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Oo Rick Steves is great!! I couldn't afford his tour when my friend and I did 2 weeks in Italy, but we did use his guidebook. It was phenomenal, especially the walking tours you could download onto an MP3 player.

You could get an Ipad Mini and download the kindle App (free) onto it. If you feel like splurging get the 3G version then you wouldn't have to worry about having Wifi and could easily contact your kids via skype. Having said that, most European hotels and even cafes/restaurants (at least the ones in major touristy destinations) these days do have Wifi.

Rick Steve's forums have some great advice on packing light, what to pack, etc. The most important thing to remember is comfortable shoes. There is A LOT of walking on his tours, and of course you can stay home but then you'd be missing out! The shoe store Comfortable Soles would be a great place to start for shoes. Don't get Danskos though, you'll turn your ankle over.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

Would my smart phone work on that free wifi at the cafes work on my smartphone as is or would I have to get an international phone plan to use it? My Mom said she has an ipad and a kindle so I can use her kindle. One more problem solved! My Mom decided to pay the extra fee for a single room so the three of us are no longer cramming in one room. This keeps getting better and better!

Sounds like fun!
    I am going to Italy too, in August, for a family reunion. My in-laws booked a week near Sienna in Tuscany for the whole family, we'll have the Podere Incrociati for ourselves. The only downside is that we'll be driving there from France....looong trip!
    So, I will check out the riding center posted above! I think I'll go with my niece, who is also a rider. Thanks for the link! Otherwise, I think we'll visit Florence (an Italian friend told me that the very best restaurant she's ever been to is there - and she's traveled many, many places), Elba, and hike the country side. I haven't been in Italy since I was a kid, so I'm excited!

I agree OP, books for the flights are mandatory (Kindle is great for that). If you're going on a tour, I'm not sure you'll have much time to read, but if you're like me...I ALWAYS find time to read. lol

FlaseImpression, bon voyage! Moi je rentre en France fin juin. C'est plus facile l'été, pas besoin d emporter pulls, vestes chaudes etc qui prennent de la place dans les bagages (je vais en Provence) et je peux emprunter des vêtements à ma mère, soeur, etc. Ce qui prend le plus de place dans mes valises à l'aller...probablement les godasses de marche et les chaps (ma soeur a des chevaux)! Je pars "léger" mais ma valise est quand même grande, parce qu'au retour... je sais qu'elle sera pleine à craquer, haha!.
    Passez en excellent séjour! Vous allez où?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

heehee Sophie...Thanks for helping me brush up on my french! I'm proud that I can understand most of that!

Laurie - yes, your smartphone's wifi will work at European hotspots, but obviously the 3G will not unless you pay for international service.You can use skype on wifi of course so that's a great app to download for keeping in touch with the kids! If your mom has a kindle fire make sure you have downloaded everything you want for the trip because I'm pretty sure kindle fires whispernet (and possibly web browser) do not work in Europe. If its a regular kindle you'll be fine.
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If you're into science at all and have a little free time in Florence, check out the Galileo museum. We were in Florence in August (bad timing--very crowded) but this museum is a little off the beaten path and was wide open so you wouldn't be in a line or anything. It's very small but pretty interesting. http://www.museogalileo.it/en/visit.html

Along the lines of clothing (great suggestions thus far)...to go into the cathedrals, you must have your shoulders covered. If you're wearing something sleeveless, you have to purchase an inexpensive shawl thing to cover shoulders.

Ditto on the shoes...comfy shoes. Lots of cobblestone/uneven surfaces.

When we visited Florence, there were lots of street musicians. I WISH I had bought a few CDs...love that music!

Venice is very photogenic...and can be very aromatic as well. LOL Some of the prettiest pictures I took while living over there were taken in Venice though.

I can't comment on Rome. Never made it. All of our big trips had to be canceled after Sept 11 so Rome was scratched.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

to go into the cathedrals, you must have your shoulders covered. If you're wearing something sleeveless, you have to purchase an inexpensive shawl thing to cover shoulders.
    Yes and if it's like the Sacré Coeur in Paris - don't wear shorts, either. My 18 yo daughter was refused entry at the Sacré Coeur because her shorts were too short for the "cerbère de service".

Ditto comfy shoes, hat, and sunblock!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Yes, the Italian cathedrals will be like the Sacre Coeur...shoulders and knees covered if you are a woman.

I didn't think about shorts. Good catch.