The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UGH it's a good thing she's cute.

So my destructive puppy chewed up my brand new CO helmet. Before you ask, she stays in the kitchen when I'm not around and no, my helmet was not in the kitchen. It looks like she's learned to open doors. And went straight for my helmet, which I hadn't even had a chance to wear yet. She's seriously lucky she's cute because I am furious!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...16085053_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...31721864_n.jpg

Talk about looking guilty!

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't see any other toys in the picture.
    Perhaps she went for the helmet because it looked like half a ball?
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

She's spoiled for toys! She's a border collie x husky x boxer and I think the problem is she's willful and far too smart and no matter how many hours I spend walking her, it's not enough

That said, I love her to death. Hard not to melt when she makes her guilty face at me.

It took my neighbor three pair of overshoes before he learned to put them up, when he got his new ACD puppy.

Are you sure you can't patch up the helmet enough for everyday use?

My Doberman never chewed anything... except for bicycle seats that is... The ranch has a "fleet" of mountain bikes for our guests, half of which have brand new seats because of the dog

I hope your dog hasn't developed a taste for helmets! My dog will pass all toys and dog bones for a yummy piece of bike seat.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    It took my neighbor three pair of overshoes before he learned to put them up, when he got his new ACD puppy.

Are you sure you can't patch up the helmet enough for everyday use?
    I'm thinking about it. My concern is she ate a lot of that grey foam and I'm worried that might make it less safe. Will CO replace this helmet at a discount? Or is it strictly for falls?

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    My Doberman never chewed anything... except for bicycle seats that is... The ranch has a "fleet" of mountain bikes for our guests, half of which have brand new seats because of the dog

I hope your dog hasn't developed a taste for helmets! My dog will pass all toys and dog bones for a yummy piece of bike seat.
    This is hilarious/horrible! I'm convinced dogs know what is theirs and what isn't and they get more fun out of destroying what doesn't belong to them!

At least I'll know what to do with my old helmets...

There's a website for that!

http://www.dogshaming.com/
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Quote Originally Posted by bellsandwhistles View Post
    She's a border collie x husky x boxer and I think the problem is
    Umm, there's your problem right there in the mix . Wow, what a dynamic cross! She's adorable, but you are IN for it! LOL

I have destroyers...I mean dobermans. I've lost a couch, numerous shoes, firewood, children's toys, stuffed beds, "indestructible tiger toys"...you name it... Mine love foam, and anything containing it MUST BE DESTROYED.

I lost a GPA to mice once. I had it stored as my "nice" helmet and they stored rice in between the liner and the rest of the helmet. Stupid mice.

Good luck with CO - I'd ask them....I'm sure they've heard of this before...or at least you'll make for a really amusing story at lunch!

2 members found this post helpful.

My dog did the same thing with my Charles Owen last year. Luckily it was just the visor as I can't afford a new one (this one was an IHSA sponsorship prize thing). I still wear it...chew marks and all. The only things he has destroyed are my helmet visor, wedding veil (custom made), tv remote and computer cord...why can't he destroy cheap things, like socks or something? Good thing he's ridiculously adorable.

Wow for your helmet! I can't afford the cost of replacing shoes or boots, so our most recent puppy is crated unless we are playing with him to prevent "chewing incidents" from happening. He is only 3 1/2 months, so we are still in the beginning stages of chewing and don't want him getting started on PEOPLE things. He has cow hooves to chew in the crate, along with his squeaky ducks and squeaky Kong ball. Has been VERY good about not ripping up his blankets, but is not any of the "busy breeds" named above. The cat is also helpful, reaching thru the wire to tag him, or run around his crate for entertainment. She used to sit inside with him, but now he is tall enough that the top had to be put on the crate for keeping him inside.

Our other dog, was AWFUL about chewing for a long time. She was crated with allowed chewy things, until almost 2yrs old. Still managed to destroy several pairs of shoes that didn't get put away AS SUGGESTED. I did get a LOVELY Armoire for coats, shoes and boots built there in the back room for protecting them! She just had a HUGE chewing urge to grow thru, along with getting big and was very bouncy. Didn't like dog toys at all! We did do the raw cow leg bones for a while, and they did work because she couldn't break them, but not sold locally. Still bouncy, big, but now has enough cow hooves to chew that she doesn't bother any other stuff.

I have to recommend using a large crate if dog can't be depended on to not chew up your stuff. I think a crate gives the dog a good start in self-control, he CAN'T do whatever he wants. Has to sit and be quiet at times. Ours at least, like being talked to while crated, but WILL lay down quietly and rest as people move around them. Crate is a "Time Out" spot for being quiet, fed, sleeping. They have food and water, plenty of room to turn around, sprawl out, because SOMETIMES dog just has to lay there without being entertained by people. Crate can SAVE the dog losing his happy home with expensive destruction of things in the house. Dogs not contained, are NOT the ones to blame when shoes, helmets or FURNITURE are destroyed. Any chance of that by my young or NOT young dogs, means they are crated or outside, when I am not supervising them. This is an OWNER issue, letting dogs have free range in a home, or access to things that can be destroyed. I would be worried about DOG getting a blockage, after eating helmet cushioning. Dogs have no sense, they will eat the most bizarre stuff, which might kill them without surgery. MSU has a wall of jars with things removed from dog stomachs and it is amazing to walk along and look in those jars. My friend and I both said "Who ever would THINK of xxxx as edible to a dog?" I look at crating your dog, until it is MUCH OLDER, as a safeguard to the dog's health and well-being as a continued family member. How many CO helmets can you afford to replace with only your own money, run out of patience, before the dog has to go? I would NOT be trusting a chewed up helmet with MY protection, the whole design is now flawed. So that means I have to get some kind of new replacement helmet, probably a less "cool" name brand.

Our two dogs play outside in the big fenced yard during the day, come inside at night. There are lots of sticks, balls and ropes to play with, which keeps the puppy pretty busy. The big dog hunts squirrels when the puppy isn't bugging her.

I LOVE the cow hooves, keeps the dogs busy and last about a week of chewing before I get out another one. Not like hoof trimmings, haven't had any dog throw up after chewing on the cow hooves. Our local Pet Smart sells the PLAIN cow hooves. Friends have told me the filled cow hooves gave their dogs gas that stunk the people right out of the house!
    Last edited by goodhors; Apr. 18, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post

I have to recommend using a large crate if dog can't be depended on to not chew up your stuff. I think a crate gives the dog a good start in self-control, he CAN'T do whatever he wants. Has to sit and be quiet at times. Ours at least, like being talked to while crated, but WILL lay down quietly and rest as people move around them. Crate is a "Time Out" spot for being quiet, fed, sleeping. They have food and water, plenty of room to turn around, sprawl out, because SOMETIMES dog just has to lay there without being entertained by people. Crate can SAVE the dog losing his happy home with expensive destruction of things in the house. Dogs not contained, are NOT the ones to blame when shoes, helmets or FURNITURE are destroyed. Any chance of that by my young or NOT young dogs, means they are crated or outside, when I am not supervising them. This is an OWNER issue, letting dogs have free range in a home, or access to things that can be destroyed. I would be worried about DOG getting a blockage, after eating helmet cushioning. Dogs have no sense, they will eat the most bizarre stuff, which might kill them without surgery. MSU has a wall of jars with things removed from dog stomachs and it is amazing to walk along and look in those jars. My friend and I both said "Who ever would THINK of xxxx as edible to a dog?" I look at crating your dog, until it is MUCH OLDER, as a safeguard to the dog's health and well-being as a continued family member. How many CO helmets can you afford to replace with only your own money, run out of patience, before the dog has to go? I would NOT be trusting a chewed up helmet with MY protection, the whole design is now flawed. So that means I have to get some kind of new replacement helmet, probably a less "cool" name brand.
    We tried crating when she was younger and it was a no-go. As in, she got so anxious she cut up her gums and paws trying to chew/dig her way out even with extensive acclimating. We are no strangers to raising dogs!

Our kitchen has two doors, and is totally contained. She has her pile of toys, her bed and a window to look out of. She only has access to the kitchen and whatever we are foolish enough to leave on the counter. She regularly takes papers/oven mitts/ what-have-you off the counter when we forget them (we are only human! - you can see she pulled some bills onto the floor in the second picture).

In this case, I have to assume she opened the door, because my helmet was safely tucked away in the next room where she should never have had access to it. If she gets into the next room again I will have to set up a camera to see how she does it.

We tried crating when she was younger and it was a no-go. As in, she got so anxious she cut up her gums and paws trying to chew/dig her way out even with extensive acclimating. We are no strangers to raising dogs!
    My big dobe had the same issue. I totally feel your pain.