The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Instead of "let's disseminate this information to the rest of the company" it is now "let's socialize this information."

My least favorite words usually come from Washington. It seems many of our Senators enjoy making up words when perfectly proper ones already exist. I think it's often an attempt at obfuscation.

Oh, oh, and a pet peeve of mine is when the media and politicians use terms to spin things, events, etc. How about the fact that when our soldiers die overseas they don't list them as soldiers or military personnel, nope, they are troops. I thought that was the plural of a troop, as in group of military personnel. (I know what the dictionary says, but it's WRONG. Just like ginormous is not a real word. Just because someone thought it was cute when gigantic and enormous were merged does not mean it should be a word in the dictionary!)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Trendy expression that makes me cringe:

"Reach out to" when they mean "call." Yick.
    I hate that one, too! Oh, and you "ping" someone rather than instant message, or simply send someone a message.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I can't stand the word "utilize."
    Because "use" was just.so.bad?

I don't see why "utilize" had to be invented. I do see why "utilities"-- gas, electric, maybe water and sewer-- was coined as a term that would cover all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

How about when people can't seem to figure out a grammatically correct way of saying something so they thing they can simply throw "-ize" on the end of a word to make it fit. Even when it's not a proper use for that word or it's a freaking noun?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I hate that one, too! Oh, and you "ping" someone rather than instant message, or simply send someone a message.
    I don't ever want to communicate with someone in a way that amounts to pinging.

Question:

If you had to choose between "reaching out" and "pinging"-- which term would you accept, assuming they meant the same thing?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I thought business jargon was the most irritating type, until I recently heard one of my friends deliberately use the phrase "totes adorbs." I'm a pretty cutesy person myself, but that is just taking it too far.

"Socialize" is a pet peeve of mine too. The first time I heard a co-worker use it in a business setting, I asked her if she wanted me to take my idea out to the idea park so it could wag its tail and get used to playing nice with all the other little ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Question:

If you had to choose between "reaching out" and "pinging"-- which term would you accept, assuming they meant the same thing?
    As long as we understand they are not the same thing. Hmmm...which one would I choose? Pinging. I loath "reaching out." My arms are not long enough to reach out to someone in another office, another state, another country, or simply on another floor in my building.

So, "ping" would be my choice. Again, if they meant the same thing, which they don't in my mind. "Reach out" implies simply finding a way to contact someone (usually for help). "Pinging" simply means instant messaging someone about anything.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

When I worked at Microsoft, which was an experience unlike any other, the word that I hated the most was "randomize". Not only is it a terrible word, it conveys such smugness and superiority. What it means is that people are asking you questions and interrupting the oh so important stuff you're doing. As in "I can't can't concentrate if I'm being randomized". Or "don't randomize so-and-so". I have never worked in an environment where the unwritten rules of who is important enough to talk to whom were so rampant. It makes me angry to think of this even nine years later! Oh, and one of the things I was dunned for in one of several negative reviews during my employment was my lack of "organizational savvy". Ugh. I hated every minute of it!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Oh, oh, let me not forget to mention (yet again out here) my least favorite word of all time "incentivize." You can provide incentive or incentives. You don't freaking "incentivize" someone or something!!!!!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I'll grant that jargon in the original sense is neutral-- not the ear-grating stuff we usually think of. And I'm good with the idea that it's specialized language for a field.

But in this "deliverables" case, why not use the original names for the things you are selling to the company? Is the variety of them covered in one contract just.too.damned.large, so you need a catch-all phrase? Or does "deliverables" mean, say, 1.5 million rolls of paper towels, and sound sexier?

MVP - yes, there is a lot of really bad words being used out there that are very 1984 Double-Speak- one of them I absolutely loathe and abhor is "optics of the situation" - unless we are actually talking about some sort of work on the eye. they really grate.

As for our company use of "deliverables" - we have contracts where we simply have many many different types of work or equipment being delivered under the one maincontract. A lot of the core stuff is the same and is in that contract. The job-type-specific stuff (such as storage, testing/commissioning requirements, paperwork returns etc) are kept in their separate schedules at the back. Yes, if we are discussing just one part of that contract, we talk about that one part by name. However, if we are talking about the whole contract (and we do summarise the deliverables under the main contract at the front) then we talk about deliverables. It is just a short hand code
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    People who do this just want to appear smarter than they really are. Horse people are guilty too:

"You need to use more half-halts to work on his engagement, at the same time employing circular tracks for longitudinal suppling." Etc.

As in, "Shorten up your reins and ride him around the corner." Which is a lot easier for a beginner to understand.

Trendy expression that makes me cringe:

"Reach out to" when they mean "call." Yick.
    Lady Eboshi!!!! a half halt is not equivalent to "shorten up the reins"!!! If I did that in front of any of my trainers, I would be hung, drawn and quartered - and then made to practice a half-halt at least 100x - after my horse had been apologised to! This is something that they are all trying to eliminate! I do agree - that original phrase could be way better expressed with a lot simpler words. A place where MVP's orignial rant about needlessly long words could be well applied - except for "half halt"
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

1 members found this post helpful.

"Tasking someone" with X (job, etc.) is right up there with reaching out as far as I am concerned.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Add me to the "reach out", "incentivise", and "ping" group. Like nails on a chalkboard!!!!
    Alis volat propriis.

I may use jargon accidentally. I try not to. I do think it makes it more difficult for other people to understand, and no, the horse world is not immune.

The one thing I hate is technical jargon. One database dude was chatting endlessly about tuples. Not being a DB person (though I can write SQL queries, I'm not a DB person) I'm like...what? Finally I realized he meant database rows but it took me so long to figure out that I lost the rest of the explanation.

As long as we understand they are not the same thing. Hmmm...which one would I choose? Pinging. I loath "reaching out." My arms are not long enough to reach out to someone in another office, another state, another country, or simply on another floor in my building.

So, "ping" would be my choice. Again, if they meant the same thing, which they don't in my mind. "Reach out" implies simply finding a way to contact someone (usually for help). "Pinging" simply means instant messaging someone about anything.
    Hmm. The wannabe-techno-guru who used the term "ping" with me meant "send me an e-mail," as IM wasn't invented yet. I think I have heard people use "ping" to mean a phone call, but I'm not sure as I have blocked out those memories.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh, oh, let me not forget to mention (yet again out here) my least favorite word of all time "incentivize." You can provide incentive or incentives. You don't freaking "incentivize" someone or something!!!!!
    True. But wait! It gets worse!

I have heard people (talking about a lot of money) use the word "incent," as a verb, as in "This new prize at the Scottsdale, AZ Arabian Show will incent further investment in the breeding industry." FWIW, auto-spell here doesn't recognize that as a word.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by RaeHughes View Post
    MVP - yes, there is a lot of really bad words being used out there that are very 1984 Double-Speak- one of them I absolutely loathe and abhor is "optics of the situation" - unless we are actually talking about some sort of work on the eye. they really grate.

As for our company use of "deliverables" - we have contracts where we simply have many many different types of work or equipment being delivered under the one maincontract. A lot of the core stuff is the same and is in that contract. The job-type-specific stuff (such as storage, testing/commissioning requirements, paperwork returns etc) are kept in their separate schedules at the back. Yes, if we are discussing just one part of that contract, we talk about that one part by name. However, if we are talking about the whole contract (and we do summarise the deliverables under the main contract at the front) then we talk about deliverables. It is just a short hand code
    Here we get to the heart of the problem, IMO. You can see the difference in the way that "optics" truly and maliciously sucks rocks, while "deliverables" is a legitimate neologism.

In the "deliverables" case, you really need one word to capture the messy category of stuff you'll give to a buyer.

In the "optics" case-- perhaps with the same intention-- much more is obscured and (the speakers hope) neutralized. So I think of "optics" as a technical thing-- related to how lenses distort images. To speak of what someone shows to the public in the same way both addresses and covers up a cold, purposeful messing-with of some original truth. IMO, the public should object to consuming only "optics" and those who use the word should be prepared to have someone get pissed off. It ain't neutral, just so the slick-speaking doofuses are aware.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by RaeHughes View Post
    MVP - As for our company use of "deliverables" - we have contracts where we simply have many many different types of work or equipment being delivered under the one maincontract. A lot of the core stuff is the same and is in that contract. The job-type-specific stuff (such as storage, testing/commissioning requirements, paperwork returns etc) are kept in their separate schedules at the back. Yes, if we are discussing just one part of that contract, we talk about that one part by name. However, if we are talking about the whole contract (and we do summarise the deliverables under the main contract at the front) then we talk about deliverables. It is just a short hand code
    This....I work in Procurement and to list every single item by name every time we talk about the Purchse Order or Contract would be excessively time consuming and would drive everyone insane .
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

All.of.the.above.

Plus one - "let's take this offline" Last time I checked, I was not the internet??

Thankfully, my role in Operations doesn't require a lot of meetings or conference calls so my daily jargon has diminshed. My bf is a PM and has a LOT...bet he could make us a whole book on them!

Jenn