The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For our younger members, anybody heard of/gone to the Warp Tour?

My kid is bugging me to go to this "Warp Tour" rock concert thing in Dallas this summer. Apparently there are multiple bands performing. I told her I would consider it but then I bummed her out by sayng I'd take her and some of her friends and wait in the parents' area during the concert. Oh, well, she can take it or leave it.

Anyway, if any of you have ever gone to one of these things, can you tell me what it's like? Safe, drug use on grounds, security, general age of the attendees?

VERY safe. I was a tour manager for a band on the tour in the early 2000's.

Security everywhere, safety zones and free water stands for the heat. As long as she has common sense and knows to get the hell out of the pit when a mosh gets started or to drink plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated, she'll be fine.

You will see a lot of piercings, a lot of tattoos and a lot of bikini tops and sagging pants. Don't let any of that bother you and you both will be fine. Everyone there as far as staff, and bands on tour are extremely helpful and everyone watches out for each other.

General age is between 14-25.

Go, but don't stay in the parents only zone, go see some of the bands! Have fun! Find out who she's listening to and go see them so you have something to talk to her about later (even if you hate the music haha).

It really is a great music festival experience.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

3 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My sister (freshman in college) has gone with her friends for the last few years, parentally unsupervised. (I'd have gone with her, but haven't ever been able to make the local dates... plus, my sister fangirling over All Time Low is something I prefer not to see any more than I have to. ) Warped is a big music festival and although there are idiots in every crowd, she's never felt unsafe. The biggest concern isn't physical safety but keeping cool and hydrated since it's a summer festival, and the water stations and misting tents help with that. I believe alcohol may be sold but drugs aren't allowed on the premises. They do have an air conditioned "Reverse Daycare" for parents who don't want to just abandon their kids. Unless she is doing Warped wrong, she is not going to be bummed out by you being on the premises because she is going to be too busy jumping around and screaming for her favorite band.

Unless the genre makes your ears bleed, go hear some of the bands, too! Not my favorite line-up this year but even still, looks like fun.

ETA RxCate- cool! Which band did you manage?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I was with Bleed the Dream, a band out of California & Baltimore

It was TONS of fun and I really miss it..
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Thanks for the information. She will just barely 16 at the time of the concert so I don't want to just drop her and her friends off and leave but I don't mind hanging out in the reverse day care and letting her pretend she's off on her own. I might go listen to some of the bands. Some of the stuff she listens to isn't too bad, although I prefer classical and jazz. The last concert I went to was Ozzie Osborne. I don't think the kid believes me though.

The deal is, if her attitude is good and she does her chores without complaining and helps with her grandad, I'll take her. Maybe I'll get the tickets and let her pay me back for them.

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    I was with Bleed the Dream, a band out of California & Baltimore

It was TONS of fun and I really miss it..
    SWEET! I used to love them! I say "used to", as I've gotten older my nerves grate a bit with anything "screamo"

I would say, let her go, but definitely don't just drop her off. I went 2 years ago and had a TON of fun, but I was also thankful to have a couple of 6 ft tall guys along with me and my girlfriends. Sometimes mosh pits open up in random areas and you get pulled in. I (all of 5'2") got knocked down a few times and got yanked out of the pit by friends more than once. Make sure she brings PLENTY of water, there were no free water stands or anything like that where I was, although they did end up setting up sprinklers as it was over 100 degrees and high humidity. I swore I was going to pass out from the heat a few times that day.

The security was really great though, I don't think anyone got hurt besides a few nose bleeds and passing out from the heat. They handled the crowd surfers really well, which I thought was funny, just plucked them out like they weighed nothing and set them down.

If your daughter is careful and watches out for mosh pits she'll be fine. That is really the only danger I encountered when I was there.

She'll encounter some very odd (and lovely) people there, but if she's asking to go I'm sure she is well aware of that "scene".

Yes, its in Dallas at the beginning of August so it will be hotter than H@ll. I'm glad they have a cool place for the parents. DD is tiny, 4'10 but she's solid muscle. She's also very fair skinned so plenty of sun screen will be in order. they don't allow coolers at the venue so I'm sure they will have water available. Maybe she can get some of her guy friends to go with her. I'm sure there will be weird people but she'll love it and I can deal with it. She wants to be a tattoo artist/psychologist so weird people are right up her alley. LOL I'll just take a book and some ear plugs, stay cool and let her enjoy herself.

I've been to Warped Tour a couple times, a big group outing with a couple friends, and my brother and his friends.
    I agree with what has already been said. Security has always been excellent, and the biggest threat is the sun and heat. Water and sunscreen are very important, and make sure your daughter and her friends agree on a meet up place in case they get separated.
    The rock crowd is generally very friendly and look out for one another, especially the younger concert goers. I've been to more then one concert where the band has stopped the show in order to alert security and the crowd to someone not doing so good.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Yep, I've been a couple of times. Very safe- and like one of the posters said, don't let us tattooed, pierced, crazy hair color people freak you out Lots of water, sunscreen and have fun. The mosh pits are only usually iffy when you work yourself into them, so if she says back or on the outskirts- she'll be fine.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I'm very pale as well, I did fine with sunscreen but I made sure to remember to reapply it often, everyone was sweating so much (and being doused by water bottles/sprinklers) that it didn't last very long. Having some guys along will definitely help! I thought I would be fine, I have a lot of muscle on me too, but I wasn't any match for 20 guys throwing themselves around. When a girl gets knocked over someone is quick to help her up though! It probably didn't help that me and my friends were trying to get as close to the bands as possible.

You sound like a great parent! Mine would never consider something like this when I was 16 because they never bothered to actually check out what kind of atmosphere it had. Your daughter will have fun and forget you're there, you'll be able to catch up on your reading...maybe even listen to a few bands.

Warped 101

I'm hardly young, but went to it twice in my 20s. Had a decent time and felt very safe. There were some stoners wandering about, but they were of the friendly hippy variety, never saw scary drugs or scary people. On of the venues I saw it at had a lawn area overlooking the main stage, and u just chilled there on a blanket and listened to the music and ate overpriced food. It was exceedingly pleasant and low key.

You might even have fun too.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

It's pretty darn safe and the crowd is young. At 16 your kid will fit right in.

I just bought 4 tickets for my friend to take her daughter and a couple of her daughter's friends to the one in Las Vegas. They are 12 year olds and my friend is chaperoning. I hear it is pretty safe and kid friendly. Her daughter loves Black Veil Brides and has dreamed of seeing them for-ever!!!! Boy it makes me feel old....

I'm in my 20s and been twice in Orlando. Fun, good time, great music, and usually good people.

I've seen early teens to people in their 60s, so its a good range but mainly twenties. Never seen hard drugs there but have seen joints being passed within the crowd at the stage. But nothing beyond that. I'm a fan and I would send my daughter to Warped Tour if she asked.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Many good suggestions here. I would also recommend footwear that is both comfortable and will protect her feet if they get stepped on, and is mud-friendly. I don't know what the cool kids are wearing to concerts these days, but I would probably wear paddock boots lol.

I agree with the above. Do not let her wear flip flops. She will get her feet hurt, stuck in the mud, lose a shoe, break a shoe, etc. Tennis shoes or something similar are a must for outdoor concerts. I didn't go to warped tour until I was 18 and did see some marijuana use (common for ANY concert festival). However, if your kid isn't into that then she should be fine. People pretty much keep to themselves in that aspect. Most dangerous thing would be getting too close to the stage and having a mosh pit develop. Yet, I'm always pleasently surprised by the number of tall strong guys who help the shorter females stay safe in those situations. She will have a blast

1 members found this post helpful.

I may be the voice of dissent here, but she'll be 16? She's not a child. Drop her and her friends off, let them know when you'll be back, and trust them to make good decisions.

There is going to be pot and alcohol floating around. Which I'm pretty sure just about every teenager can already get their hands on outside of concerts if they are so inclined. Concerts/festivals really are quite safe, just make sure that your daughter and her friends stick together.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I also agree that at 16 the OP's daughter will probably be just fine on her own and with friends, but I can't fault Mom for wanting to be on the grounds. She's not planning to shadow daughter around, just wants to be on the premises rather than cutting her teenage daughter loose in a crowd of strangers.

I got sent to horse shows more or less by myself as a teenager ("Here's a credit card with some money in case of emergency, here is a cell phone to call me every night, and so help me if your trainer says you were difficult they will never find your body") so my mother was pretty inured to the concept of cutting her kids loose and trusting us to behave ourselves. Not every parent follows the same parameters, and honestly, what with current events, I can't fault Mom for feeling cautious.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I took my brother and his friends to Warped Tour in Scranton when he was 14. At 15, I just served as a ride and he and his buddies kept to themselves the whole time. The year after that, he drove himself.

It's a great time. Your daughter will be fine.