The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rambo Original Turnout

I know this has been discussed a million times I'm sure, but how does the Rambo fit? My mare is 78" nd a little wide in the chest. The blanket she has worn is the Weatherbeeta Kool Coat in a 78" and it fits her perfectly. She also wore another one but I can't remember the name for the life of me. The 78 fit again but rubbed on her shoulders.

I have a wide-chested TB who is also a size 78. The Rambos are the only ones that fit him well. In my experience they run on the roomy side, so I have always bought him a 78 and have never had any issues.
    I can even put my other TB, who is larger and narrower and normally an 81, in the Rambo's 78 and get by if needed.

Love rambos for my wide chested boys. Fit well, no rubbing problems, although mine only get blankets when there is extreme cold or its windy/rainy. No idea about sizes, mine both measure 76, I use size 75 Rambos, they fit great.

So what about the Amigo Bravo 12?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Typically, in Rambo, order a size down from the horse's actual measurement. My horse measures a 78" and wears a 75" in Rambo. I don't know how this compares to Weatherbeeta.

The Amigo rugs run according to the same sizing, but are not made to be as durable as the original Rambo. If your horse is not into rug destruction they may suit you.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

How wide is "wide"? And what breed is your mare?

I have a wide-shouldered Morgan mare; Rambo/Rhino/Amigo does not fit (well, I'm not sure about the QH cuts... currently looking for feedback on those).

If the Kool Koat has worked in the past, then I would think the Rambo would be okay. The only Weatherbeetas that have worked for my mare all have the Freestyle shoulder dart and gusset.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Typically, in Rambo, order a size down from the horse's actual measurement. My horse measures a 78" and wears a 75" in Rambo. I don't know how this compares to Weatherbeeta.

The Amigo rugs run according to the same sizing, but are not made to be as durable as the original Rambo. If your horse is not into rug destruction they may suit you.
    I have actually found Amigos to run a size smaller than Rambos in general, depending on style (in my exerience, Amigos fit more"true to size", while Rambos are very generous compared to most other brands).

My OTTB mare wears a 75 in Rambos and 72 in Weatherbeeta (freestyle NOT the original - the freestyles run a size big). She is only 14.2 but is super stocky - kind of a QH build so the 75 actually fit her perfectly. I do have a 72 Rambo original with leg arches t/o sheet and it is slightly too short lengthwise - it fits everywhere else and as long as I don't layer it on top of anything it's fine - they say to order a size down and that was a mistake (it was on clearance so I kept it).

The WB Kool Coats i found tend to run small so personally I'd go up a size in Rambo.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

My mare is a Thoroughbred, but she has been mistaken for a warmblood and even a QH! She is 16 hh, maybe 16.1 hh, I need to check that again.

All of the horses at our barn wear Rambos, and they are awesome! So tough and not nearly as many rub issues as other blankets. I do think they run larger than other blankets.