The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Summer vacation plans

Have you made any yet? We are talking about touring Canada for a couple of weeks in mid summer. Anyone else have plans?

I'm going to Key Largo for 8 days in June and probably to a conference in the Bahamas for 5 days in September. Haven't had a vacation since 2006 and I can.not.wait!!

Sometime this summer, I'm going to NE Indiana for 4 days to re-paper Mom's bathroom, does that count?

But work is sending to me to San Diego for week in June or July, and I don't have to pay for that trip.

Chicago bound! My sister lives there and I try to go every year. I'll be going in time for Tour de Fat (a big, fabulous, touring festival devoted to bikes, cycling culture, and good beer). I'll be driving out this time (sometimes I fly, sometimes I drive) so bike and dog can go along. My favorite, favorite trip of the year! Love getting out of the country and playing sophisticated urban hipster for a while

What with my dad and all my critters I can't be away very long but I'm going to try to take DD and one of her friends for a long weekend to Fayetteville to see the Crystal Bridges museum, then to Eureka Springs to spend the night in the Crescent Hotel and then to Blanchard Springs to see the caverns. I'm hoping my sister will come over to stay with Dad and look after the critters.

I'm going on a pack trip out of Jackson Hole, WY with five other ladies for a week in August. Can't wait.

Also heading to Santa Fe sometime in September for a mother/daughter trip.

dh and I bought a camper at a gorgeous pond an hour north of here. the camper isn't anything special, but the site is fabulous--directly waterfront with a swim platform and a dock. the pond is super clean and deep and large enough for paddling and rowing but no petroleum engines, so also very quiet and peaceful. we can be there between May first and October first and we can't wait!

um, it's clothing optional which is the only reason we could afford it,lol.
    but damn what excellent motivation to shape up!
    I've lost forty lbs this year thank gaia!!!!!!!

I'm going up to CT for 10 days in late May for a memorial service and a break from work. Then back up to CT for Fourth of July (long weekend). Up to PA in early August to visit my parents and go to the Pocono NASCAR race (yay!). Then I'm off to Deep Creek Lake, MD in early October and I'll combine that with Pittsburgh to visit more family.

Wow, I didn't realize how busy this summer/fall will be!

Ocracoke for a week after school gets out. Can't wait to sleep late and bask in the sun!
    Alis volat propriis.

Here in Texas I really want to visit Marfa. I know it's a "hot spot" these days but I really, really want to stay at El Cosmico in one of their groovy trailers or teepees. Hoping to get out there sometime soon!

My SO is from the west coast and I'm from the east so I really want to show him Colonial Williamsburg and the Outerbanks area in NC. He'd love to see the Adirondacks area! So an east coat road trip is definitely in our future I hope!

Renting a cottage on a quiet cove on the coast of mid-Maine in July. Watching boats go by, eating lobster, hiking, kayaking, reading, maybe swimming if it's not too cold, looking at the stars, staring into a fire at night, canoeing -( the Coth kind )...idyllic!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    I'm going on a pack trip out of Jackson Hole, WY with five other ladies for a week in August. Can't wait.
    If you are going horse packing, I'd really like to know how know you like it as I am looking for outfitter recommendations.
    Dreaming in Color

It is on horseback, so I'll report back when I'm back. It's supposed to be a great outfitter..one of the women has gone on this trip before and raves about it.

The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island for out 50th birthdays Dress up stuff for sister-in-law, horses for me

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Late September I am headed for a riding vacation in Spain.
    I have wanted to do one my whole life, so this is my gift to me.

Non-riding friends will be in the country too and the plan is to meet for the last weekend.

I will be near Seville, they will be in Barcelona, where we will meet, then all head for Madrid.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Renting a house by a lake for a week. The place allows dogs, so we'll see how the beastie boys like boats. I suppose I need to go shopping for doggie life jackets at some point. The boys have never properly learned how to swim; all their past water experiences involved splashing around in the shallows.