The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Abuse charges against Totilas's owners dropped

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...las-abuse-case

Well then. I'm pretty disappointed in this because I was somewhat hoping that they would rule in favor of the other side. The picture in the article is so cringe worthy.

Default This whole story is alarming ~ is any of this true ???

Ok `` what have i missed ... i was unaware of 'this' entire story !

apparently i have been living under a rock ?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

1 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't aware either. Odd that they would pick on a horse living in the luxury that Totilas is. I am disgusted with rollkur, but why pick on one individual like that when there is an entire industry? That's just a waste of their money. Oh wait, it's PETA, that's what they do, waste money.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Ok `` what have i missed ... i was unaware of 'this' entire story !

apparently i have been living under a rock ?
    In October of last year the German branch of PETA claimed that Totilas was being abused because he has no social contact(he's isolated) with other horses. Also, he's being LDR trained. But there is so much money involved that I don't think that they could even do anything. Which is a shame because this horse needs to go back to Edward, which is just my opinion. Clearly this isn't working for this poor horse.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I wasn't aware either. Odd that they would pick on a horse living in the luxury that Totilas is. I am disgusted with rollkur, but why pick on one individual like that when there is an entire industry? That's just a waste of their money. Oh wait, it's PETA, that's what they do, waste money.
    Couple of reasons. They think horses should be free of human contact....to a RARA our horses are our slaves.
    Totilas is very high profile and his owners have lots of money
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    They think horses should be free of human contact....to a RARA our horses are our slaves.
    Free from human contact? What and undo thousands of years of evolving toward human dependency? LOL...tell that to my horses who can hear me moving about inside my house in the morning and stare into the back windows from the fenceline, willing me to bring them their breakfast.

2 members found this post helpful.

Free from human contact? What and undo thousands of years of evolving toward human dependency? LOL...tell that to my horses who can hear me moving about inside my house in the morning and stare into the back windows from the fenceline, willing me to bring them their breakfast.
    LOL, I said that is what they believe....not that it makes sense
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Isn't Totilas a stallion? That right there should have said why he was alone. Aren't most stallions kept isolated to some degree?

ETA: just wanted to toss in that I am against rollkur and not a fan of PETA.

Quote Originally Posted by MonterStables View Post
    Also, he's being LDR trained. But there is so much money involved that I don't think that they could even do anything. Which is a shame because this horse needs to go back to Edward, which is just my opinion. Clearly this isn't working for this poor horse.
    It's rather problematic to claim that the horse is abused under Rath but wasn't under Gal, considering the links between Gal and Rath's current trainer.

For both the stabling issue and the training issue, a PETA charade is NOT the answer to improving dressage training and all around horsemanship. It's intentionally divisive and aimed at undermining the use of animals in competition altogether. I'm so glad this ridiculousness has been recognised as such.

ETA: DancingArab - It would appear that PETA believes stallions should be entitled to run free like the wind, into the nearest paddock to do whatever comes naturally... never mind if that includes maiming and killing each other. Failing that, we should all be required to own hundreds of acres to accommodate a "herd" life.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

About time. The charges were ridiculous and shouldn't have been entertained in the first place.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    It's rather problematic to claim that the horse is abused under Rath but wasn't under Gal, considering the links between Gal and Rath's current trainer.

For both the stabling issue and the training issue, a PETA charade is NOT the answer to improving dressage training and all around horsemanship. It's intentionally divisive and aimed at undermining the use of animals in competition altogether. I'm so glad this ridiculousness has been recognised as such.

ETA: DancingArab - It would appear that PETA believes stallions should be entitled to run free like the wind, into the nearest paddock to do whatever comes naturally... never mind if that includes maiming and killing each other. Failing that, we should all be required to own hundreds of acres to accommodate a "herd" life.
    Everyone has seen how happy Totilas was at Edward's. IMO, Gal doesn't deserve a lot of the hate that he gets. I watched an interview from WEG where Edward said that Totilas got supervised turnout for about an hour or so, and I mean, the proof is in the pudding really.. The horse really PERFORMED for Edward. That's why they set that record. What has Totilas done under Rath? Who quite frankly, was riding a horse that his step mother rode that was how old? 17? That doesn't say a lot about his credentials. In my opinion, his father and stepmother wanted to get him something big and flashy to ride, and they have the money, and Totilas was for sale. They were at the right place at the right time.

In October of last year the German branch of PETA claimed that Totilas was being abused because he has no social contact(he's isolated) with other horses. Also, he's being LDR trained. But there is so much money involved that I don't think that they could even do anything. Which is a shame because this horse needs to go back to Edward, which is just my opinion. Clearly this isn't working for this poor horse.
    But the horse was kept in similar circumstance & similar training program - and that photo is not anything new for the horse - the only real change is that he is an actively breeding stallion under the Linsenhoff-Schockemöhle ownership.

Gal seems to have moved on ...

In my opinion, his father and stepmother wanted to get him something big and flashy to ride, and they have the money, and Totilas was for sale. They were at the right place at the right time.
    That's how the horse world works...ESPECIALLY at the upper levels. It's a business, and he with the most money often gets the horse.

Can't say as I LOVE the picture in the article, but I can't judge from it alone. Can't say as I LOVE the way some horses at the upper levels are muscled around with water-skiing riders, either.

Totilas is getting to eat, sleep, be sheltered, and breed (and hasn't been competing as much as he did with Gal)...I'm pretty sure he's doing all right by his own estimation.

Everyone has seen how happy Totilas was at Edward's. IMO, Gal doesn't deserve a lot of the hate that he gets. I watched an interview from WEG where Edward said that Totilas got supervised turnout for about an hour or so, and I mean, the proof is in the pudding really.. The horse really PERFORMED for Edward. That's why they set that record. What has Totilas done under Rath? Who quite frankly, was riding a horse that his step mother rode that was how old? 17? That doesn't say a lot about his credentials. In my opinion, his father and stepmother wanted to get him something big and flashy to ride, and they have the money, and Totilas was for sale. They were at the right place at the right time.
    So you are saying that just because Rath isn't as good a rider as Gal (OK, who is anyway - are you?), that he does not deserve an nice super expensive horse to ride? How ridiculous. Yes, we all love how Totilas performed under Gal, but that is for OUR enjoyment, not for the horse's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    So you are saying that just because Rath isn't as good a rider as Gal (OK, who is anyway - are you?), that he does not deserve an nice super expensive horse to ride? How ridiculous. Yes, we all love how Totilas performed under Gal, but that is for OUR enjoyment, not for the horse's.
    Not saying that at all, although Rath doesn't have nearly as much experience as Gal does- I think we can agree on that. But I do think that the horses need to have some kind of happy medium.. I mean, think about it. They need to be in condition to perform, and if they're being treated a certain way, they might be more liable to have issues.. Look at the incident in the video "What happened to Totilas?" where he acts up at the stallion show. He was spooky and clearly not happy with the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    But the horse was kept in similar circumstance & similar training program - and that photo is not anything new for the horse - the only real change is that he is an actively breeding stallion under the Linsenhoff-Schockemöhle ownership.

Gal seems to have moved on ...
    That's because he has. I mean, he can't dwell on something that he can't help or do anything about. He has a business to run and horses to compete on.

Not saying that at all, although Rath doesn't have nearly as much experience as Gal does- I think we can agree on that. But I do think that the horses need to have some kind of happy medium.. I mean, think about it. They need to be in condition to perform, and if they're being treated a certain way, they might be more liable to have issues.. Look at the incident in the video "What happened to Totilas?" where he acts up at the stallion show. He was spooky and clearly not happy with the situation.
    I doubt any horse that has been trained so long to the top level by a rider such as Gal can be "really" happy with anyone else. Everybody else will be substandard. A gelding might suck it up but a hot sensitive stallion will protest. It does not mean the current rider is bad - it just mean the horse does not appreciate that his new rider isn't as good as his prior one. The same thing will happen to any highly sensitive horses who have a huge ego and are suddenly "downgraded" to a lesser rider.

Or, more realistically, the horse is now charged up with testosterone and he no longer finds it so enjoyable to obediently prance round a dressage ring.

Surely the science of hormones is worth considering here.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

9 members found this post helpful.

Ahh testosterone.... Was he not breeding before?

Free from human contact? What and undo thousands of years of evolving toward human dependency?
    Todays horse was not achieved through natural selection, but by man's selective breeding practises.