The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We went to our first show on Sunday, other than cold frisky weather and a horse that was a bit up he was great! The night before when I rode, he didn't grind and he didnt at all at the show.

He is home now so will be interesting to see if there are any changes, he already seemed happy to me coming off of the trailer.

I don't think anyone addressed the hind gut ulcer question for you. My horse is a chestnut TB mare who definitely internalizes stress and is very ulcer prone. She gets gastric ulcers and hind gut ulcers. A recent study showed that almost all horses with gastric ulcers had hind gut ulcers (although the reverse was not true). Hind gut ulcers cannot be treated by omeprazole. Succeed is a supplement aimed at hind gut ulcers, but it is rather expensive, IIRC. One of the main ingredients of Succeed is oat flour and this is what I use. You can grind you own oats or you can just buy oat flour in your local health food store. I feed 1/4 cup each day, my horse eats is no problem, and it has made a big different in her girthiness and a few other symptoms that were responding to omeprazole. A 6-week supply costs me less than $5 at my local health food store, so it is hardly an expensive "treatment"! Good luck.

leheath, thank you for explaining that to me. He currently is on a Purina suppliment which is called Pure-A-Yeast.

I will definitely look into this oat flour as I think this will help. Thank you again!!
    He already seems happier with the much much longer turn out now that he is home, but I am still going to look into this

I think of teeth grinding as a horse's "F@$% you" to me. Regardless of the trigger.