The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Run in shed question

Hey

I'm adding a run in shed to my small farm and wanted to see what you thought of some options that I thought would be nice to include in the shed or if they are a waste of $$$. First is 12 x 20 a big enough size for two horses? With or without a middle partition? I was thinking in a pinch I could attach gates to the front and make them stalls. Do side gables help with air flow? I have no trees at my farm and this would provide shelter from the sun. Just didn't want them to be hot boxes.

Thank you!

We found that 16 feet deep was better for driving rain/snow/wind. With horses that get along the solid partition - stall possibilities is a good thing. With less charitable barn mates...we put a hanging rail - fastened at the front of the barn and to the roof at the rear. If a horse got cornered in the stall he could get out by swinging the rail. We put windows or small swinging doors (like shutters) in the ends so we could open them to let cool breezes in. A clue...cheap windows (odd sizes) are available at most lumber places. We got all of our windows for less than $20 each.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

12x20 is adequate for two horses. 12x20 is the size of mine, but I have a 10 ft overhang as well. It makes it big enough for 3. I agree that 16 ft would be better to protect from the weather, or add an overhang. I would do a partition because it will make the shed more versatile and help ensure both horses go in it. Sometimes if you have a bully the other horse won't go in no matter what.

Second what the other posters have said. If the horses get along, you don't need a partition, but often times you do. I just hang a gate to divide the run-in. That way it can be removed, or folded back against the back wall if not needed.

One of my run-in bays has a gate on the outside that can be used to close off that bay to make a stall. It is very handy to have this!

Depending on your location, you may not want deeper than 12', or you may never get sun and air enough in the back to keep humidity and molds at bay.

12' is a good size also, as that is the largest you can put on a flat bed trailer or put an axle with wheels under it and haul it down the highways without special permits.

Ideally, if you can set the shed where horses have access to it from all sides, that will give them best protection, as horses really like to be out of the wind more than under a roof.
    With access all around, they can always stand on one or the other side to do that.

I would make the shed portable, so if and when you change your mind and want to move or sell it, you can do so easily, won't have to tear it down.

If you have or will have a tractor with FEl make the shed high enough to get the tractor bucket to the back wall. Cleaning is easy with the tractor. Just scrape to the front.

I have one that is 12 X 28. I'm thinking about expanding the roof in the front as the sun comes in pretty strong in the morning. I have a removable partition in mine and gates so that I can enclose it into stalls since I don't have a barn. The only time I actually do that is when I'm waiting for the vet or farrier or, if I have a horse that needs layup I'll put it in one of the "stalls" and leave the other one loose. I currently have two horses so this works fine. When I had three, sometimes one would stand outside rather than share a half but that was because the horse wanted to stand with the alpha mare that wouldn't share her half. The other horse would have shared.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Yes, large enough. We also have an overhang so they can have shade but be out for better air flow in summer and protect more from driving rain/snow. We have used round pen panels to split the shed and make a small enclosure when we had one graduating from stall rest to small turn-out. His pasture buddy could still use the other side of the shed.

We matted ours and are very happy we did. Clean up is easy. They have been in place for years with no problems
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

If I ever build another one, it will be 16 x32, with a wall on the North side, and a divider down the middle, so it has two 16x16s with two walls. Here cold winds are either from the NE or NW, and sometimes really strong winds from the SW. I think they would use it more than one closed in on three sides.

Absolutely big enough to get the tractor with loader under the whole thing.

Mine is huge. Not sure measurements but its an old tractor barn with three open door areas. My 4 boys fit in it. Could probably fit up to 8 in there. That said they never use it for weather except for shade some in summer. They are rotten, they will either stand in the bad weather, run around like idiots or all go stand at the barn doors wanting in their stalls.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

How tall does it need to be for a FEL. We aren't planning to buy a tractor before next summer, but I want to put in a shed this year.

Thanks.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I have two 12x20s on order from guy out of Wisconsin. They are built then delivered and are on skids so semi- portable.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I actually like the middle divider if one horse is bossy. When I had a single run-in the boss hoss could keep the other horse out. So I got one with a middle divider and now each horse has their own side. There are occasional rearrangements but the submissive horse has learned how to keep from getting stuck in the back.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Ours is actually a carport (open sides, metal roof) with 4x4's beneath to attach an open wooden divider (it's pretty mild here). It's 16' deep total, but the divider splits it to 8' on each side (I have a bossy gelding!) which works out well for them. I only covered one wall with treated plywood to create shade on summer afternoons. There is a gate across one half so Mr. Bossy can be locked in while Jr. eats. But both will share a side when munching a round bale in there in the winter. They live in that pasture, I hate stalling my horses, so it's a must have for us!

I am very happy with it (I didn't build it, it's just in the pasture I lease/board) and I added mats (aka cut strips from the retread factory in town, staked down) which makes keeping it clean SOOO much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    How tall does it need to be for a FEL. We aren't planning to buy a tractor before next summer, but I want to put in a shed this year.

Thanks.
    All depends on YOUR tractor. My 12x12 shed is 8' clear at the back with 10' clear at the front.