The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We've always tied the horses since they are used to tying when being trailered and I worry about injury while moving around and they do move around more in a stock trailer so we wrap legs well too. They have more freedom to kick walls and each other.

But sad story about the rope getting caught in the axle and does make a good point to use a small rope or rubber cord with break-aways.

[QUOTEA note on forward/backward facing: Most horses prefer to travel butt-first. I know a man that hauls his draft horses daily for work, and he uses a giant stock trailer and leads them in and turns them around so they're facing the driver's side like a normal slant trailer, but their butts are farther forward than their heads. He said they travel much quieter that way, plus they are easier to unload! ][/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but my horses do this all by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    THis is one of those things that you NEVER think of until it happens to you...thank you for posting this because I usually tie with a leadrope in my stock with the stock-type sides. Because of your post, I will now use trailer ties with the snaps so no extra rope can hang out the sides...
    You are welcome. The mare's face was debrided by the accident. The nylon halter and leadrope was part of the problem, very hard for those to break. I always use a leather halter and cotton lead rope in the trailer.

Stock trailers are very common where I live for pleasure riders and western folks. When I come alongside one driving on the road with a lead rope dangling outside the trailer I twitch.

If my Arab is going alone, I collapse the dividers and he gets 3 spots to himself. He doesn't move around much and rides just fine loose. He seems happiest that way. If my friends Arab goes too, they ride loose together. They're buddies and ride on a slant one toward the front and one toward the rear. They usually swap places at some point.

If he's riding with anyone else, dividers go up and most ride untied in their dividers. My friend's Clyde cross mare is kind of an idiot in the trailer and tries to turn around if untied and she's too big to do so. Then panics because she gets stuck in some weird position. So she gets tied so she rides like she has a brain.

This is why I am trying to get the nerve up to trailer with my draftcross loose. He is a big guy, 17h., and when he trailers alone, his pawing is so nerve wracking...he gets the trailer AND truck rockin'and rolling! With a friend, he is a saint and you don't know he is back there. I have a 2 horse semi/stock which I had modified from a 3 horse slant to a 2 horse straight. Am trying to figure out how to haul him if I remove the divider. It makes me nervous though. I need to take a spin around the block and see how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    I have an open stock and prefer to haul my gelding loose. He did circles a couple times but settled down, and is actually calmer (as in, DOES NOT PAW) when loose.

However, it can be nerve-wracking as a driver if you've never hauled a loose horse before. So if your friend wants her tied, just tie her up. When I do tie my horse in my trailer it's because I have another horse, but I just close the gate and tie him halfway between the front of the trailer and the middle gate so he can travel how he likes. I use a breakaway trailer tie and a piece of 550 cord tied to the tie ring. NEVER EVER EVER hang a lead rope outside of the trailer. A friend of mine recently rolled into my trainer's barn with her mare in tow, and to our absolute horror she had run the lead through the window and tied her to an outside tie ring. My trainer and I had to take several deep breaths before calmly pointing out the danger in that.

I haul loose if it is a small box stall. I wouldn't in a large stock trailer for the weight-shifting reasons mentioned. Commercial haulers haul loose. Works for me and the horses are relaxed upon arrival. If I had a dancer then I would tie. Some of this seems like common sense--doing what works best for your horse and your vehicle's hauling capabilities.

I think horses face backwards in a stock because then crap and/or wind doesn't blow into their eyes. Think about what it would be like hauling in a stock sided trailer at 65 mph. So it is more comfortable for that reason. Just my suspicion, I've never asked them.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    I think horses face backwards in a stock because then crap and/or wind doesn't blow into their eyes. Think about what it would be like hauling in a stock sided trailer at 65 mph. So it is more comfortable for that reason. Just my suspicion, I've never asked them.
    Not just annoying, but dangerous as well. I saw a horse unloaded at a poker ride who had been hauled in a stock trailer with several other horses end up with a wood chip stuck IN his eye. All of the other horses were fine. I don't know what happened to him for sure, since I didn't know his owner, but if they were able to save the eye it would be surprising.

Ever since seeing that I always put a heavy duty flymask on if we're hauling in anything with stock sides or no screens on the windows.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I do most of my short hauls in an enclosed stock type trailer. Hell, people pay big bucks for a "box stall" in a van, same concept. Loose always. My trailer has two small compartments, with one center divider. I want the horse to ride where it is most comfortable. In the event of a wreck, no way would I want one tied up.

Most horses haul just fine as soon as you are moving, and as long as you have a truck that is the appropriate size for what you are pulling, it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference if the horse moves around some.

edited to add: my rule is ONE horse per compartment

I pull one like this: http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-Rancher.html

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    This is why I am trying to get the nerve up to trailer with my draftcross loose. He is a big guy, 17h., and when he trailers alone, his pawing is so nerve wracking...he gets the trailer AND truck rockin'and rolling! With a friend, he is a saint and you don't know he is back there. I have a 2 horse semi/stock which I had modified from a 3 horse slant to a 2 horse straight. Am trying to figure out how to haul him if I remove the divider. It makes me nervous though. I need to take a spin around the block and see how he does.
    That sounds like a cool conversion! Do you have any photos you could share?

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I don't tie, but might in a large trailer.

But if you're not the one hauling, you should do what your friend prefers.

Hauled a bajillion miles with all sorts of horses in stock trailers. We always tie, they face forward at an angle to the left, and we've never had a problem.

I don't need a horse doing laps in our 20 foot trailer trying to see out all the windows at once when I have to hit the brakes for a deer. I want them to stand there and think about what's going on.

I wouldn't tie, if they can't brace against something easily with their butts. I don't see a problem hauling loose.