The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Up early...prednisone. Commiserate?

So I got into something my body doesn't like, no idea what, but suffering from some sort of allergic reaction. Doc put me on a "five day blast" of prednisone, and warned me that I might be "up," "moody," and or get the munchies.

OK, so I took it at lunch as soon as the drug store filled it, didn't experience much other than some leg bobbing in the car that I don't normally do, until I coworker told me I was being "moody." He used another word, but you get it .

And now? I'm awake. I normally fall asleep five minutes after the light goes out and sleep til my alarm, but this morning I popped awake at 0331 exactly and could not go back to sleep.

UGH!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I hate prednisone. I hate allergy/immune problems more, but I could do without the stomach pain, violent mood swings, and inability to sleep. Of course I'm not on it and I STILL can't sleep, but it never helps. The bloating and need to eat everything in sight doesn't help either.

Prednisone is the devil. For me, not only does it just make me more alert, but it sends me into almost-panic-attacking overdrive anxiety. It's horrible. I get the stomach pain too.

Talk to your DR. Sometimes a half dose is all that's needed, if you're particularly sensitive to it.

Well, other than this sleeplessness issue, nothing is a big deal, and I can deal with five days of five hours of sleep if it'll get rid of this RAAAAAAAAAAAASH. Argh. I am a stippled mess from my hairline to my shins. At least it doesn't itch.

I hated it! I took it for 5 days at the start of the year and it sucked. Only 2 hours of sleep a night. How was I supposed to get better if I did sleep? I will never take it again.

I've been on and off prednisone (and IV SoluMedrol and IV Decadron and Medrol and hydrocortisone...) for the better part of my life. Lately it's been a Medrol dose pack every few weeks, usually preceded by a few high doses of IV SoluMedrol; it's not fun. Just last week I had 2 125 mg doses of SoluMedrol and a Medrol pack that I just finished on Sunday.

I get the insomnia and the anxiety, but prednisone also causes unbelievable "skin" pain (almost like a fibromyalgia, but more superficial) to the point where I can't even stand for the blankets on the bed to touch me. It's horrible. And it lasts for about a week after I've stopped the steroids.

But by far the worst side effect is the steroid psychosis. When I'm on Prednisone for more than a few days (regardless of dose) or SoluMedrol for more than a week, I start to hallucinate and have uncontrollable crying fits and rage. And the worst part is that I know exactly what is happening but I have absolutely no control over it. It is a relatively new side effect (within the last year or so), though I always have had the mood swings and insomnia that are so typical.

Interestingly, I don't get the munchies when I'm on steroids; I'm usually vaguely nauseous and not at all hungry...until I come off of them. And then I spend a week feeling like I'm starving and craving really weird foods.

They're not fun, OP and I sure hope you're off of them soon!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Oh dear. Hallucinations would be bad at work... I'll try to keep an eye on that!!

Every time I get the poison evil, or mango (has same oil as the pi.) I have to do a dose pack. Each time I take it, things are different.

Weight gain, oh my. Look out fridge. Yes, you may want to get up and rearrange the spice cabinet or start cleaning house.

Just remember, you may get sick from the flu or cold or whatever up to 6 months afterwards. It depresses your immune system. My usual m.o. is I get sick 4 months later. When nobody is usually sick. So maybe for you in July August you may get sick.

I've been on it for a month for rheumatoid arthritis...a tapering dose starting at 24 pills a day!
    After I'm done with it I will never go back to it.
    I don't sleep. At all. Like maybe an hour a night and a cat nap in the afternoon. (On a plus side my house is spotless)
    I've also turned into some kind of crazy t-Rex as my husband calls me. Moody and anxiety through the roof. Little things like honking in traffic is enough to make me want to hunt the offending honker down and string them up by their toe nails.

Anyways, I feel your pain! Try ready a book at night and as you get sleepy just let yourself doze off. I can sleep if I shut off the light and "plan" to go to bed. Also hot frothy milk with honey, vanilla, and cinnamon helps to make me sleepy.

I've been on prednisone for the last 5 years since I've had a kidney transplant. Its the most evil drug ever! I'm on a lower dose now than before though. Back when I was on a high dose I would randomly cry and then laugh, it was bad. The insomnia sucks, even on the lower dose its bad. Have you tried taking it in the mornings? I take an over-the counter sleep med sometimes like tylenol PM when it gets bad. Also, prednisone will do a number on your stomach so if your on a high dose you might want to take prilosec or something too. At least you won't be on it permanently. This weight gain is a pain and no matter how hard I try it won't go away!

I was on 100 mg of prednisone daily for my Crohns disease before Remicade. Good things - my allergies disappeared, I felt like superman since my joints did not ache at all.
    Bad things - moon face, starving all the time, hands cramping into claws without warning - my poor horse!, and hallucinations. I was convinced my house was haunted. When I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I would run because I thought I was going to see a ghost. That was when I stopped reading Stephen King, too.
    I still am up all night - can only sleep two hours at a time and have a horrible time regulating my temperature. I start to fall asleep and am hit with horrible hot flashes. Can't have hormones because of my previous breast cancer. Not menopause related.
    Thank goodness for Remicade. The last 10 years have been so much better.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow! Well, I came home early from work and took today (my Fri) off also. The rash is STILL spreading, so yes I'm calling the doc office to see if I should be concerned? But, anyways! I came home a little early, 5pm instead of 8pm, took one benadryl and sacked out on the couch until DH woke me for bedtime...took two more and slept until my normal up time.

More sleep, yay!

Rash, boo!!

At least I'm not hungry or raiding the pantry. I notice I get a bit "up" after I take it and am kinda chattier, almost with less inhibitions than normal. Yesterday morning I was giggling a lot and had urges to prank DH a couple times while we were getting ready. Which would have been bad, he is NOT a morning person!
    Last edited by TheJenners; Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: by closet, I meant pantry...dur...

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    I was on 100 mg of prednisone daily for my Crohns disease before Remicade. Good things - my allergies disappeared, I felt like superman since my joints did not ache at all.
    Bad things - moon face, starving all the time, hands cramping into claws without warning - my poor horse!, and hallucinations. I was convinced my house was haunted. When I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I would run because I thought I was going to see a ghost. That was when I stopped reading Stephen King, too.
    I still am up all night - can only sleep two hours at a time and have a horrible time regulating my temperature. I start to fall asleep and am hit with horrible hot flashes. Can't have hormones because of my previous breast cancer. Not menopause related.
    Thank goodness for Remicade. The last 10 years have been so much better.
    Another Crohn's COTHer? Hello!

You've been on the Remicade? How's that working for you? Had surgery in '03 and I've been on methotrexate since but it's still not perfect. Had one dose/session/whatever of Remicade before surgery but they didn't continue because they wanted to see what the surgery would solve. Just curious how it's been for you.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I hate prednisone. I hate allergy/immune problems more, but I could do without the stomach pain, violent mood swings, and inability to sleep.
    Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Bleh. I've given prednisone off and on to the dogs for years for allergies, but took it for the first time myself last year, for a bad case of poison ivy. It worked - itch be gone - but then it made me nuts. I was hyper-anxious and my heart raced, so I googled and discovered all the bad side effects. I quit taking it abruptly, and that made it worse, so I googled that and discovered they really mean it when they say to taper it off. I ended up making a semi-hysterical call to the doctor's office babbling incoherently, and then hanging up because I realized I was being insane.

Which makes the dog's side effect - lunging up over the dinner table like a Great White, her normal food obsession dialed waaay up to food aggression - seem great.

edit to add - oh, and the taste? I've never taken anything that tasted so much like poison. I had a cat who had to take liquid pred, and I never understood why she fought so bad. Now I know.

I'm on day 5 now - allergic rash that occasionally gets too bad for the ointment. I guess I'm lucky it's not so bad for me, although I always warn the kids that I will be really stupid and really grumpy, which is a bad, bad combo. It's not so bad (I think, unless I'm so stupid that I don't even know I'm stupid) this time, and no munchies (yet) either. The insomnia sucks. It is a miracle drug, but the cure is almost as bad as the disease, I think. I try to not use it, but when the rash hit my face and wouldn't leave, I couldn't do it anymore. I'm hoping it works and breaks the cycle.

Today is also my day five, and final day. After day one I didn't have any side effects, been making sure I eat it with a sorta heavy meal (two packets of oatmeal) because I'm a weenie about stomach pain. DH says the rash looks better to him, but since I can still it, I am disagreeing.

I have a major MSG/salt preservative allergy. Yup, I'm allergic to heavy salt preservatives.
    Try eating cheetos for 18 years and then suddenly blowing up like a stay puff marshmallow man when you try to eat them...
    Anaphylaxis every time.

I get a dose pack and a shot in the ass.

I love it.
    My house is very very clean. It's amazing how much you can get done when you don't sleep...
    any underlying issues that I've been letting the pony get away with?...that day will not be his lucky day. hehehe
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I have a major MSG/salt preservative allergy. Yup, I'm allergic to heavy salt preservatives.
    Try eating cheetos for 18 years and then suddenly blowing up like a stay puff marshmallow man when you try to eat them...
    Anaphylaxis every time.

I get a dose pack and a shot in the ass.

I love it.
    My house is very very clean. It's amazing how much you can get done when you don't sleep...
    any underlying issues that I've been letting the pony get away with?...that day will not be his lucky day. hehehe
    I've been on Pred twice, and LOVED it. I agree about the clean house. I had soooo much energy, I got a bunch of stuff done, and felt great. No other side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Today is also my day five, and final day. After day one I didn't have any side effects, been making sure I eat it with a sorta heavy meal (two packets of oatmeal) because I'm a weenie about stomach pain. DH says the rash looks better to him, but since I can still it, I am disagreeing.

You missed a word--you'll be able to SEE the rash for a while, but the question is, can you still feel it? My recent round of pred was when I developed an allergy to my old job (yes, really) and while it took a while for the plaques to really go away, the itching stopped. Psychotic rage is not fun, but it was that or rip my skin off with sandpaper from the CONSTANT ITCHING.