The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tricky coat fit - suggestions please

I'm hunting for a coat, but I don't know where to start. I bought an RJ Classics a while ago at my local store (needed something on short notice and it was the best they could do) but I'm not happy with it. I'm a very hourglass shape, even with a super masher sports bra the RJ is tight in the chest/loose at the waist/strangely baggy armpits.

What I'm hoping to find is a brand that has enough chest space, a narrower waist, but flares back out at the hips in preferebly a super stretchy fabric so I can have fitted sleeves but retain shoulder movement. Please let me know if this magical combination exists or am I going to have to go custom? Thanks!

I feel like any Grand Prix fits better. I'm quite busty and found them to have the most tailored fit through the rest of the body. RJs tend to be a bit of a straighter cut through the body in my opinion. Ultimately you'd have to try them on.

Otherwise, get something that fits the largest part of your body and find a good tailor to take care of the rest.
    Last edited by comingback; Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: grammar

2 members found this post helpful.

I second the finding a good tailor!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Grand Prix makes an "Endowed" cut that offers more room in the bust area compared to their standard model. I found I still usually had to have the waist nipped in a bit, but it otherwise fit nicely in the shoulders, etc. Not sure if they offer it in their newer stretch fabrics, but it's worth looking into.

Otherwise, I agree that finding a good tailor is really the best solution.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I'm definitely an hourglass shape and the Ariat's fit me the best off the rack. Big enough in the bust, nipped at the waist, and then flare back out but are still flattering.

Oddly they seem to be big in the actual arms. Not sagging in the armpits or long but big in the bicep. And I don't think I have overly skinny arms. But the coat is so flattering everywhere else I just live with it. Or else I'll take them to a tailor at some point.

Anyway, those might be worth a try for you.

Grand Prix or Marigold seems to be best suited for an hourglass shape. RJ seems to be the most boxy cut. I have generally found that people tend to fit really well into only one or two brands of coat.

ETA - Ariat and Tailored Sportsman seem to be something of an intermediate cut on the boxy to hourglass spectrum.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I am also "busty" (to put it mildly) and the Grand Prixs fit me great.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone, I'll give the Grand Prix's a try since that seems to be the consensus. I didn't want to deal with ordering a bunch of coats and having to send them all back, now I can narrow my focus. Much appreciated!

1 members found this post helpful.

I figured I'd chime in here for any one else who might be reading this thread..

I'm also very much of an hour glass shape, but also tall and long in my torso. I also had a lot of trouble finding coats that not only would fit my bust, but was also long enough.

I found that the Grand Prix's were too short and boxy on me, and the RJs just didn't fit at all. I had the best luck with the Ariats. I ordered 2 sizes larger than normal and in a long, and then had it tailored for about $80. Love it!

If you're curvy (And tall!) I'd go with an ariat and a good tailor.

Ooh that's a good point Winter, I'll look into those also thanks!