The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What did you do to take care of yourself today?

A friend of mine (a fellow Bostonian and a social worker who is helping many of her clients process the tragedy) posted an interesting question on Facebook this afternoon: "The day's not over. What have you done/will you do to take care of yourself today, beautiful children of the universe?"

For me, I turned off the news, took myself out for sushi at my favorite spot, caught up with my best friend, and indulged in passion fruit mojito hookah while catching up on my favorite mindless TV shows.

What about you?
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ate healthfully, went for a walk, watched Frasier and laughed and laughed, talked on the phone with two friends, e-mailed some other friends, logged onto COTH for the first time in too long a time.
    RoanPonyMare

Spent 20 min on the stationary bike.

Finally told my heart horse that if she was ready to go I would be sad, but I would be okay. Somehow I know she understood.

Well, yesterday (since I haven't really started my day yet!), I rode my bike for the first time in well over 18 months. I don't know why yesterday was the day I finally stopped talking about it and actually did it, but it happened and I am still deliriously happy about it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sadly, we lost our dog of 12 years on Monday morning before the bombings. I have been in a terribly depressed state since Monday and watching the news coverage just brings my own pain more into the light. Today, I am going to the barn to be with my horse friends and take care of myself. Nothing like some time with Mocha to help the pain of loss go away.
    Give your pets an extra hug today.

went for a wild early morning run through the mud with the dogs, spent some much-needed time scraping mud out of the car (an entire winter's accumulation), and packed a very healthy salad for lunch.

Just finished up a hour long cardio blast class, working on some fun art projects for a local non-profit, and I am taking the dog to the park in a bit.

Monday I went to my first yoga class in over a year and a half! Can't believe it's been so long. I started doing podcasts but really wanted to go to class for a good refresher. I was nervous about being too out of shape but I had a big smile on my face the whole class and honored my body. Felt awesome when I left! Going to try to get to one studio class a week.

Called a relative and made peace.

I turned my phone off, hiked up the grass hill at my school, sat in the warm sunshine of the beautiful day, and wrote. It's been hard to vocalize my feelings about what's happened, and for the first time I could just get it all down.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    A friend of mine (a fellow Bostonian and a social worker who is helping many of her clients process the tragedy) posted an interesting question on Facebook this afternoon: "The day's not over. What have you done/will you do to take care of yourself today, beautiful children of the universe?"

For me, I turned off the news, took myself out for sushi at my favorite spot, caught up with my best friend, and indulged in passion fruit mojito hookah while catching up on my favorite mindless TV shows.

What about you?
    I may fwow up.