The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm disappointed to hear so many negative things about the Samsung phones. I've seriously heard nothing but positive things from people around here that I've talked to.

I have AT&T so a lot of the phones mentioned here I won't be able to look into.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Well, in my opinion AT&T will probably be your biggest problem. My Samsung is AT&T and the service suuuuuuucccccckkkkkssssss! My Verizon always got much better reception in rural areas (like my house). I unknowingly dropped it in the pasture and one of my horses stomped it to death.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I have a Samsung and just hate the damned awkward thing. It is clunky, doesn't fit into ANY case, requires button pushing to answer, is miserable to set the alarm on, and a bitch to charge simply because the flippin' USB connection always falls out AND I cannot make it send pics to the computer, it wants to e-mail them. Phone company has a new deal here - 65.00 a month for tons of calls and data with a smart phone for 'free' and i just might change the contract to that.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Just to expand on my "they're fragile phones" statement:

It's not that they can't take abuse (although they're not real great in that department, either.) It's not a phone that you can baby and keep in a case and that will guarantee you a trouble-free experience. The charging ports fail. The power buttons fail. The speakers fail. The OS goes kablewy. Damned near EVERY Samsung I had in the enterprise had to be replaced due to one (or more) of these issues. Sure, a couple had screens that shattered, too, due to misuse or drops or whatever, but the VAST majority were used gently and just ... fell apart. Often JUST after the warranty period expired, which really, really made me hate them with a passion. I think they're designed to fail--totally, truly FAIL--at 13 months, to force you to purchase a new phone at MSRP (cha-CHING!) if you don't have the insurance.

The HTC and Motorola phones proved FAR more durable. Still the occasional issue (which is totally expected with 200 users) but far fewer problems overall.

NBChoice, I'd recommend you go with the latest HTC One. If you're looking for something less expensive, go with one of the older HTC One models. ATT carries several.

AT&T has other phones besides Samsung. I have an LG that is a non-smart phone that I like.

Another tip when shopping. Go to Walmart to look at phones.

When I went to get rid of my Evergreen, AT&T kiosk only had an LG but it would cost me 100.00 out of pocket to get it even though I was upgrading.

For fun, I went to Walmart, found the same LG phone, got my plan upgraged and paid a whopping 98 cents for the phone!
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I decided to get a galaxy s3. I really like it so far. Time will tell.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've had no issues with mine and I use AT&T Now that Jellybean is out, it runs even better. The S3 has so many cool features that I can't go back to an iPhone now.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

{shrugs} I dunno, maybe I just got lucky.
    I have a Galaxy S - just S - no "I"s after it.
    Verizon service has never failed me from coast to coast in the US.

It is now just over 3yo and still works fine, no thanks to me.
    I do have a screen protector on it, but no case (can't find the soft gel Hello Kitty one I covet) and I have dropped it a couple times at least w/o breaking anything.

I do not use 1/10 of what it is capable of - mostly just an emergency phone and stand in laptop when I travel.

Camera takes great pics, but I cannot seem to email them to myself as I used to do with my (AT&T) Razr.
    Probably me, not the phone or Verizon.
    Any tips on how to do this would be welcome
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

The camera does take great pictures. I'm really happy with that because my Atrix's camera was just okay. I really like all the customization I can do with this phone. Plus the screen is so bright and vivid. I work nights and usually my Atrix would have been dead by 5 or 6AM or just about to be dead. Last night this phone still had like 35% battery when I left work and I had used it quite a bit! I think I'll be happy with it.