The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A cell phone thread again... Samsungs?

I'm getting an upgrade soon. I have a Motorola Atrix 2 at the moment. I'm going to get a Samsung. Both my bro and dad have one, though I'm not entirely sure of the models. I do know, however, that they really like their phones and have not had any problems with them.

So I'm set on getting a Samsung, but not sure which model. Tell me a bit about the one you have and any pros or cons. Battery life, screen size, sound, camera, etc. I'm looking at either the Galaxy S3 or the Note 2, but I'm not so savvy about what else is out there.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Buy the insurance! They're fragile phones, prone to hardware and software failure.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Look for the Galaxy XCover 2 when it becomes available.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Buy the insurance! They're fragile phones, prone to hardware and software failure.
    All Samsungs? I haven't heard anything like that before. Do you have experience?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Samsungs are not designed for durability except for the few rugged phones they make. Their general design philosophy is to make their products slim and lightweight. All of them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I have a note 2, love it! Reminds me of my beloved Palm, which isn't around anymore. I haven't tapped into a fraction of what it does. Tablet and phone in one. Camera is 8mp, has a stylus, when you pull it out, a post it pops up for taking notes. Plus it does all kinds of stuff as well. Downloaded a SwiftKey keyboard, love it. Didn't think I would like touchscreen typing over a real keyboard, but this is great... Makes typing on my computer seem archaic. Could go on and on. Traded in a DROID 3 for this and very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    All Samsungs? I haven't heard anything like that before. Do you have experience?
    I managed roughly 200 lines of wireless service in my previous gig (left that company last October, experience is current.) Got to the point where the company would just not purchase Samsung because of the durability issues.

Samsung builds a sexy phone that reviews and sells well. They don't build a durable phone. Most seem to fail at about the year mark, often having issues before then as well.

I had a Samsung Galaxy. It was fine as a hand held computer. As a phone it got an SUX rating due to a very poor reception. My wife has a Droid. We would sit in the car, side by side, and she would have good 3g and three bars and I had NOTHING. I missed several very important phone calls due this problem. After multiple complaints Verizon swapped it for a Razr. I'm very happy with the change.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have the Galaxy S3. Got it for work in Jan. so I haven't had it too long. I like it ok. It's a bit big for my hand and I've got normal sized hands for a 5'8" person. Camera is really nice. There are about a zillion ways to get to the different options.

I'm REALLY careful with it since it's a work phone so I can't really speak about durability. It's also my first "smart" phone so I'm just now figuring out some of the features.

I do have to say, I had a choice btwn the Motorola Atrix 2, the Samsung or an iPhone. The Atrix got the worst reviews. the iPhone and the Samsung were about the same.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Oh no. I just bought a Samsung Brightside. I really like it. I wanted a phone with a good camera but not a smartphone and it has fit the bill. But I'm sad to hear they don't last very long... I'm trying to be careful with it. And I did buy a case and a screen shield for it. But I was not very good about protecting my old phone (an ancient LG), dropped it many times, once in a puddle, got hay all over it etc. and it last quite a long time before it just recently kicked the bucket...

I have had 3 Samsung phones. Hate them all. Never getting one again. But I might have high standards.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I have a Galaxy something or other--it's a T-mobile one. Hate it so much. Already had to replace it once when the speaker broke on the first one after a month. Speaker also broke on this one, but I realized that if I take the battery out for a couple minutes and put it back in, the speaker will usually start working again. It restarts itself whenever it feels like (or just shuts down, which is great in the night when I'm using it as an alarm); freezes and demands battery removal multiple times a week; constantly drops my wifi; the web browser is just plain dumb; frequently press one icon and a different program opens... I can't list all the ways in which I hate this phone.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the Galaxy S3---worst call reception I've had since my BB Curve of 7 years ago. It will drop calls if you aren't moving/walking, but you tilt your head. I absolutely hate it. I've had it since July and I'm stuck until next March and at least once a week I fantasize about some super hate-filled way to destroy it. As a computer, it rocks. But as a phone...ugh!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I've had three Samsung phones in a row. I currently have a Galaxy S III and had a Galaxy before that. I haven't had any issues with any of them and would keep them for a couple of years each. I take them to the barn and ride with them in my sports bra and sit on them in my pants pockets and take them to the beach and out in the salt air. No issues. I have had a few instances lately with the Galaxy S III where the screen wants to get buggy but that's a software issue that popped up after the most recent software upgrade. Overall, no complaints thus far.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I have the Samsung Galaxy S III and love it! I have no issues making or receiving calls with it. I love the features and how I can customize it. The battery life isn't bad and I don't really have any complaints. It has been durable since I am not the most coordinated individual but I have a Speck Candy shell case as I had on my iPhone. They are less bulky than the Otter box typically and do an awesome job of protecting your phone! I would recommend the S3, and I think they just came out with a S4...or it's on it's way. The Moto Droid Razr Maxx HD is a good one, too if you have Verizon.

I had a Samsung Evergreen. Biggest piece of crap phone I have ever had. I had other Samsung phones and liked them but stay away from the Evergreen.

It had the lovely habit of shutting itself off and restarting, the address book and text would always be trying to sync and wouldn't work half the time. I ended up using the upgrade on my second phone line just to get rid of it.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I absolutely, positively despised my Galaxy III. I had 3 of them in a 6 week period for multiple failures, ended up that Verizon offered a Droid Razr Maxx as a replacement because of the multiple issues. Service sucked, it was unreliable, and I was never so happy to get rid of a phone.

Friend of mine got one shortly after and still has it now, 8 months later. She also hates it and is counting down until she can get a new one.

I got a tough-guy version from Samsung -- the droppable, waterproof kind. A Rugby, maybe? It's been a while, can't recall for sure.

Anyway, it IS in fact droppable and waterproof. Thoroughly tested here on the farm. Works great, excellent service wherever I go, no glitches so far. I've had it for over a year and would highly recommend.

Then again, I'm no technology maven, so YMMV.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

(Re-read OP's first post.)

Screen size on mine is about the same as hubby's iPhone. Battery life is fine. Camera takes great pictures -- I get better results than hubby's. My favorite trick: I can use the little LED light on the back as a flashlight (it was intended as such), and that bad boy is BRIGHT.

Told you, not a techno-maven. Am impressed by flashlights.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Depending on your service provider, you may not be able to get all the phones listed here. I found that out when I found a phone I liked by trying out other people's phones... and then went to the store to buy one, and they didn't have that one. Boo. Back to the drawing board.

The people with the new Samsung with the giant screen (can't remember the name, maybe Galaxy 3?) all seem to like it, but it's pretty new.

I have an HTC and I love it. Will probably stick with it, it's pretty hardy. I did break one, dropped it on tile without a case and the screen shattered. Insured though, got the same phone, and now have an Otterbox. The slimmer one, Commuter? Not Defender? Broke one Otterbox, and just recently cracked off a piece of the new one, but I drop my phone on a regular basis and at like $10-$20 a pop for the case, and my phone not breaking, I am okay replacing them.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl