The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Look at Classic Saddlery, there is a used older Courbette 17M dressage saddle for $400, looks to have upswept panels. The older Courbettes were fairly well made, although the seats could be a bit hard. Also they have the HDR Austal for $995 new!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    If you sell the Albion, that would mostly pay for a prestige.
    You can find prestige used for $12-1400 if you look hard.
    The Albion fits another horse, plus its a coveted 5000 and will need to be pried out of my cold dead hands I have been looking at a few reasonable used Prestige saddles on eBay.

I may do a massive ebay purge of all of my extra stuff. Another rider near by has an Amerigo I may ask to try. The tack store has a Stubben, its an 18", but maybe I can check it out for basic fit. Just typing out loud...

On a good note, I found out yesterday that I officially graduate as an RN in a few weeks. Providing I still have the job that was promised I'll be able to *think* about buying him a real big boy saddle LOL!

I wonder if looking for a saddle that was designed for a baroque horse would work. They tend to have the forward balance that he needs.

Where did you see the Austal for $995!?!?!?! I didn't see it on there and just looked.

Quote Originally Posted by DukesMom View Post
    Where did you see the Austal for $995!?!?!?! I didn't see it on there and just looked.
    My bad, sorry to dash your hopes!!!!!!!!!! When I googled it, it came up with the HDR Lexes, I thought I was on the right saddle.

I just saw an ad for a 16" wide Prestige for around $1600, in northern CA. ??? Personally, I'm not a fan of them and there's NO way I could fit into a 16" comfortably, but I'm curious to see other suggestions as I now have one of these very short backed WIDE little guys....

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    I just saw an ad for a 16" wide Prestige for around $1600, in northern CA. ??? Personally, I'm not a fan of them and there's NO way I could fit into a 16" comfortably, but I'm curious to see other suggestions as I now have one of these very short backed WIDE little guys....
    No way in H#!! this booty would fit in a 16"

When I get my tax return I think I may just pay off the credit card and put the Austal on it.....ah, the life of a poor horse owner I would much prefer a used saddle, but you gotta do what you gotta do, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    My bad, sorry to dash your hopes!!!!!!!!!! When I googled it, it came up with the HDR Lexes, I thought I was on the right saddle.
    Thats just mean LOL!

What is the length of your horse's back? I'm dealing with a similar situation with a 14" back and an extra wide tree. I just bought a Schleese Triumph dressage saddle and will probably have to still have one made to get the perfect fit, but it will work for now. I found the Stubben dressage saddles were still too long for him. I do have a Stubben rep coming out to try to fit him in one of their close contact saddles, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbGrl View Post
    What is the length of your horse's back? I'm dealing with a similar situation with a 14" back and an extra wide tree. I just bought a Schleese Triumph dressage saddle and will probably have to still have one made to get the perfect fit, but it will work for now. I found the Stubben dressage saddles were still too long for him. I do have a Stubben rep coming out to try to fit him in one of their close contact saddles, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Not 100% sure but I think it is less than 14" He has withers and a flat back. About a MW.

You would probably benefit from an open seat since it would feel less restricting on a smaller seat to accommodate your horse's back. Trumbull Mtn has some in both the 16.5 and 17" that are in your price range and some a bit over. What breed is your horse? You may have mentioned it or I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird660 View Post
    You would probably benefit from an open seat since it would feel less restricting on a smaller seat to accommodate your horse's back. Trumbull Mtn has some in both the 16.5 and 17" that are in your price range and some a bit over. What breed is your horse? You may have mentioned it or I missed it.
    He's Arabian and Dutch

Hi DukesMom! Congratulations on your impending graduation from the RN program! That's awesome!!!! Kieffer saddles might work OK because the size 1 is a 17/17.5 inch - so slightly less long than the 17.5 Have you tried a non-gusseted Passier GG (there are lots of them for sale used)? It has an upswept back of the panel and seems to fit shorter backed horses OK. The billets are back on the tree, though. Does your horse need more of a point billet or does it matter? Again, congrats!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Hi DukesMom! Congratulations on your impending graduation from the RN program! That's awesome!!!! Kieffer saddles might work OK because the size 1 is a 17/17.5 inch - so slightly less long than the 17.5 Have you tried a non-gusseted Passier GG (there are lots of them for sale used)? It has an upswept back of the panel and seems to fit shorter backed horses OK. The billets are back on the tree, though. Does your horse need more of a point billet or does it matter? Again, congrats!
    Thanks, J-Lu! Where the heck are you now? Nursing its one of those programs where unless you've been through it you can't fully grasp the amount of sacrifice and stress involved.

A point billet is probably a requirement at this point. And just to add, he has a good set of withers and shoulders and everything that fits in the front is too low in the back, only compounding the problem.

I hope to try a friends Kieffer soon, its one I covet , and I have not tried a Passier yet.

I did contact Trumbull about 7 months ago and took one on trial, but nothing worked at that time. I am thinking about remeasuring him and trying again.

On a good note, not being able to ride = working in hand = awesome piaffe!

Take a look at http://www.usedsaddles.com/search.htm?cat=vmtg3ss9

They have 2 Windsor's 17" (ones out on trial) for under $1000, it's rare to see those ever for sale. They have quite a few saddle under the $1000 range. They are very nice people to work with too. Also, Farm House Tack, M&M Tack Shop and Pelham all are good places to look for used saddles also.

I just went thru a 2 year fitting nightmare, I know your frustration.
    Last edited by js; Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Not 100% sure but I think it is less than 14" He has withers and a flat back. About a MW.
    If this is truly a flat back, Kieffer's tend to the curvy (as do Stubbens).

Post some conformation photos for more efficient model suggestions

Thanks, J-Lu! Where the heck are you now? Nursing its one of those programs where unless you've been through it you can't fully grasp the amount of sacrifice and stress involved.

A point billet is probably a requirement at this point. And just to add, he has a good set of withers and shoulders and everything that fits in the front is too low in the back, only compounding the problem.

I hope to try a friends Kieffer soon, its one I covet , and I have not tried a Passier yet.

I did contact Trumbull about 7 months ago and took one on trial, but nothing worked at that time. I am thinking about remeasuring him and trying again.

On a good note, not being able to ride = working in hand = awesome piaffe!
    Hey you! I'm in Chapel Hill, NC these days, with a 4-year old (horse, not child). As an academic in a medical school, I feel the pain of your training. I do. But you can go anywhere with an RN degree! I'm looking at saddle hell in the near future and I'm not looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Passier saddles have billets originating at the side, rather than the point, of the tree. But a well-fitted one may not move up on this horse of yours. Do you remember the Arabian stallion Chancey? Does your horse have a shorter back than he did? He went is a County Competitor, 17.5", flocked to his back. Could County work for your horse? I was at Martha's not too long ago and I rode in her Keiffer Ulla size #1. It was OK, but my femur could tell it was a bit short of 17.5". The only 17" I've been truly comfy in is a Shleese because the stirrup bar was under my center so my leg hung where it wanted to - thus the smaller saddle size didn't matter to me so much. In other saddles, it mattered. Saddle hunting is hell.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Hey you! I'm in Chapel Hill, NC these days, with a 4-year old (horse, not child). As an academic in a medical school, I feel the pain of your training. I do. But you can go anywhere with an RN degree! I'm looking at saddle hell in the near future and I'm not looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Passier saddles have billets originating at the side, rather than the point, of the tree. But a well-fitted one may not move up on this horse of yours. Do you remember the Arabian stallion Chancey? Does your horse have a shorter back than he did? He went is a County Competitor, 17.5", flocked to his back. Could County work for your horse? I was at Martha's not too long ago and I rode in her Keiffer Ulla size #1. It was OK, but my femur could tell it was a bit short of 17.5". The only 17" I've been truly comfy in is a Shleese because the stirrup bar was under my center so my leg hung where it wanted to - thus the smaller saddle size didn't matter to me so much. In other saddles, it mattered. Saddle hunting is hell.
    My friend has the same Kieffer, I really think it would work for him, and I am hoping to borrow it to try.

Aw, how is Chancy doing? I'm so out of the loop because of school. My guy is that short backed He has very strong loins but is weak at the base of his withers.

I have a very short backed 15' appy. He goes great in my 17" Passier GG (NON-gusseted panels) and also in a 17.5" Prestige without the gusseted panels (can't remember the model). I've seen some super inexpensive Prestiges on eBay, and you can get very reasonably priced Passiers too.

I'm curious as to what saddle you ended up with.....?

I agree with JS in that a more open seat provides more room for the rider and allows the rider to sit in a smaller seat while not impacting T18. The rise of the pommel impacts the seat space availability as well. A higher rise will feel more enclosed and tighter.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672