The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What free lease agreements have you used?

I am possibly free leasing my horse and am trying to figure out which lease agreement from all the ones online to use.

I was wondering which ones specifically you all have used or have experience with?

Thanks so much

Having done the free lease with a bad result I just wanted to caution you to be careful. I don't know if any of those free lease agreements are truly enforceable.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Thank you for the forewarning. I am familiar with the people who want to lease my horse so I feel a little better about doing it, and he will also be close enough to where I can check in one him if I want to. I just want some sort of contract that says who's responsible for what, etc.

Thanks

I've been hesitating a lot prior to typing this but this is a true story about what has just happened with a friend who free-leased two ponies out as companions.

He's experienced with animal rescue and rehoming and has a good lease agreement that was drawn up by an attorney. He did all his homework. Local people, vet references check thoroughly, site checked several times, people interviewed as to what the expectations of care were.

Ponies delivered and everyone happy. He performed a wellness check at three weeks, while receiving happy updates from the family.

Then...BOOM...after the wellness check he receives a restraining order. Until the legalities of the situation are resolved he cannot go check on his horses, nor can he send someone like me to see them. The only one allowed on the property to give updates to him is the veterinarian of the family, who is now different from the original veterinarian who provided references.

This week he has a knock on the door. It's a summons to court. One of the ponies has died and the family is taking HIM to court for it. Seems absolutely impossible, doesn't it?

There it is though. The horses were still his, with contract in place and because of the restraining order he couldn't check on them and one died. Now he's beside himself with worry over the remaining pony.

I'm afraid I can't explain anymore about the legalities of the situation because I don't know them. It astounds me that a restraining order could be put in place in the first place.
    Last edited by maunder; Apr. 17, 2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling

If you'll pm your email address, I'm happy to send you a copy of the contract I use for my gelding.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    I've been hesitating a lot prior to typing this but this is a true story about what has just happened with a friend who free-leased two ponies out as companions.

He's experienced with animal rescue and rehoming and has a good lease agreement that was drawn up by an attorney. He did all his homework. Local people, vet references check thoroughly, site checked several times, people interviewed as to what the expectations of care were.

Ponies delivered and everyone happy. He performed a wellness check at three weeks, while receiving happy updates from the family.

Then...BOOM...after the wellness check he receives a restraining order. Until the legalities of the situation are resolved he cannot go check on his horses, nor can he send someone like me to see them. The only one allowed on the property to give updates to him is the veterinarian of the family, who is now different from the original veterinarian who provided references.

This week he has a knock on the door. It's a summons to court. One of the ponies has died and the family is taking HIM to court for it. Seems absolutely impossible, doesn't it?

There it is though. The horses were still his, with contract in place and because of the restraining order he couldn't check on them and one died. Now he's beside himself with worry over the remaining pony.

I'm afraid I can't explain anymore about the legalities of the situation because I don't know them. It astounds me that a restraining order could be put in place in the first place.
    Thank you for letting me know of your experiences. I will definitely take this into consideration. I know the people who want to lease him and am pretty confident that they will take very good care of him, although sometimes people will surprise you I guess.

Thanks

I combined a bunch of different lease agreements I found on the web and added some of my own items to shape it the way I wanted. I'd be happy to share if you want to PM me your email address. While I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories out there, I've had great experiences free leasing one of my ponies for over eight years now.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

What this man has gone through is (I hope) unusual. Even if it is a friend it's best to have a concrete contract - and even that won't help if the person chooses not to honor it.

Since my friend does rescue and rehab he often has a number of ponies that he will free lease out. Three were starved by a former friend of his when she "got tired" of them, another was SOLD out of state. Both were violating the contract and there was no reason for that. The woman who got tired of her ponies simply had to make a call to my friend. Easy peasy.

All of this cost lots of money in legal fees and veterinary care to rehab the starved ponies. The pony that was sold was lost when the "new owner" sent her to auction.

Nightmares? You bet. I sure do hate to scare you with these tales but if I didn't know the man personally I'd have a hard time believing that they happened because it's incomprehensible to me why someone would agree to a contract and then not honor it. After all, there are many horses and ponies that you can find for free who don't have a contract attached.

Needless to say my friend is no longer leasing out any of his ponies, but that has also stopped his rescue too.