The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have some western chaps I rode endurance in when I lived in WA. Too hot here in 'Bama to ride in full chaps, but half chaps are a good thing. But I never wore them necked.

So did he forget his pants? Or was he just on his way to the mailbox?

I kid my husband when he walks around (periodically) necked, I ask him, "So you on your way to the mail box?" We have a long long driveway, but it is so ALL neighbors could see. hah a.

LOL. Just "on the way to the mailbox". Worked!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My Dad was one He wasn't lonely or nosy to be intrustive - he just cared. He was the first to build his house on the block in a new development. He made sure everything was on the up and up with all the building going on! This was a high end development so no builders did any shotty work on his watch . I think his neighbors were all thankful that he was watching when they weren't there.

He's gone now and I sure miss him!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    My nosy neighbors are my MIL, FIL, and grandparent in laws.

Their nosiness extends to:

"Who just pulled down your drive way?"

"Pulled out late to work this morning, huh?"

"Oh I saw Jesse was at your house...I was just looking through the window."

"Are you cutting a tree down, down there? OH NO, not THAT tree!!!"

"Why did you just fire several rounds? "(...uh, we have a firing range?)

"I see you down in your yard....I'm peeking through the trees."

"Your horse is starving, he nickered at me when I was down in your yard checking things out."

Yeah, I wish I could make this stuff up. Mainly his grandfather.
    We also have family next door but luckily they are not that bad. They see all.

But it was nice before I rehomed my escape artist to have someone go "Your horses are out!" And my step MIL came up to watch the kids as my FIL helped me catch them and fix the fence.

I also help catch horses, and I am in charge of all horse related activities when my FIL is not home. Holding for vet, farrier, wound cleaning you name it. But I don't mind, I have no family in the area and they have been extremely helpful to me. They make me feel like one of the family.

However this drives my husband nuts. Since he doesn't have the horse angle to benefit from he hates how nosey they are. That and my FIL is an obnoxious borrower... Tools, horse supplies, hay... I finally started buying things in obnoxiously bright girlie colors so I knew he would never take it with him to a show or anything so at least I could find it easier lol.

When we first moved here we were driving on a road (in the country) and saw a man mowing on his lawn mower necked. Now I know we are talking on another thread about nude folks. But he was buck necked, mowing. His house was right there on the road, not far from the edge of the road.

You can not ever undo what you have seen. There was so much man skin, and he was SO white we were blinded! Things on this man bounced (his man boobs, and tummy) which should have never been seen to the public. Oh.my. Only thing he had on was a hat. Ballcap.

Every time we drive by that place, frequently, I think of this EACH time, husband does too. The guy does not live there anymore, but the memory lingers. We were certainly blinded by the light. I would much have preferred to see the russian trainer in his half chaps, "going to the mailbox" than *this sight* .

LOL RMH! My old BO used to sun bathe nekkid. She was in her late 70's at the time I believe. Anyway, I knew she did this so I called to give her a heads up the day before I had the farrier coming out so she'd be decent.

The farrier and I arrived at the same time, but he pulled into the driveway first and parked. Got out. Started walking towards the barn and then promptly turned on his heel back towards the truck. When I got out of the car, he was bright red and Lady BO was sauntering from her sunning spot back into the house.

I had never used this farrier before and funny, he never did come back. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I think it depends on what kind of nosy. There are those who just want to know everything going on and those that are just looking for something to "stir the pot" (trolls). The good kind can be a God send and can help keep you/your house safe by noticing things that aren't right. I like our neighbor that keeps an eye out and calls when things don't look right. We now let them know when we'll have a pet sitter after a few calls while on vacation.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I have good Noseys.

They "stalked" me when I moved here - ran into me around 9P one night at Meier.
    Mrs. Nosey walked right up to me & introduced herself.
    He is soft-spoken, she Never.Stops.Talking - one of those people you have to back away slowly to get away.

I have learned more about their Life while keeping my details secret (not that I have a Deep, Dark Past, I just do not share it all) than I ever wanted or needed to know.

But they have never failed to help me out, even when I don't ask they will appear with whatever tool I needed and help me do the job.

They have lived here over 30 years, but somehow managed to alienate other neighbors.
    Maybe it is the stockpile of garbage bags filling their yard (not visible from the road, but GoogleEarth shows them in all their glory) and garage.
    Truck is always full of garage sale & thrift store gleanings.

I have benefited from some of the Hoarder mentality.
    When I kilt my mailbox they had a used one for me.
    One garage sale got me a brand-new 5gal heated water bucket.
    Etc, etc.

They don't have horses, but she is a good listener and was one of my first farmsitters.
    If anything she's a bit overenthusiastic - feeding "treats" to my horses until I had to tell her Stop! - coming home to buckets full of uneaten fruit & veggies of all kinds.
    Now we restrict goodies to apples ro carrots - in moderation.

She is still my eyes on the place while I'm at work, and takes the job very seriously. Calling me one evening to tell me how my horse had been brutalizing the pony.
    Um - no, not a mark on the little pest, but I'm sure horse just said "Nuff!" in the equine way - could look alarming to one who hasn't seen that before.

They are good souls, if a bit odd.
    But then, folks probably say that about me too.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

One of my neighbors stopped by yesterday because he saw an unfamiliar man in my back yard getting stuff out of my shed. What he didn't realize is that my dad was in the front yard and the new fella is dad's day laborer dude. But that he'd go check things out was FAB in my opinion.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I think there's a HUGE difference between "nosy", & "alert & caring".

Many of the posts here are just about people noticing something out of the ordinary & just taking measures to ensure safety or to just check & make sure things are a-okay. That's not being "nosy".

"Nosy" is when folks are encroaching on your comfort zone by broaching subjects & situations - or volunteering opinions - that are clearly none of their business & have no bearing on safety.

For instance - one of my neighbors calling me to check about a strange car or truck in front of the house, is fine & to me is caring, especially since I'm home alone much of the time; coming home to find another neighbor wandering around my property to check out some new construction "because he just wanted to know what was going on" is not fine & is simply nosy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just found this - think "going out to the mailbox" now in the newest COTH book of phrases? Same section as "canoeing"...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes