The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Do I risk it? (Saddle ???)

I feel like I'm never going to find a saddle. Of course, I should be getting fitter after fitter to bring me saddle after saddle after saddle to try, and only gave that a shot once so far...

Anyway, there's an 18-M Jeffries Flyover (monoflap jumping saddle) on ebay that the seller has agreed to my offer of a few weeks ago - significantly less than the buy-it-now price. (Because the BiN price is virtually the new price, but I digress.) Supposedly in great condition, of course.

My trainer has the same saddle, a 19-N. Now, I've ridden Wash in this saddle in the past. He seemed to really like it - must be the panels that don't extend far down his shoulders. The monoflap is nice, too, it's like we have connection between my thighs/knees and his sides. But note, this didn't make much sense, because he measures as a wide, maybe medium-wide. Again, I attribute it to the shorter panels. Also, I looked at the saddle tonight, and it does look wide for a narrow, but it's still not wide wide.

So I rode in it again tonight, for the first time in a while. Figured if he went well in it tonight, a wider saddle should be great, and if not I could pad it up. See where this is going?

He didn't go well tonight. He didn't want to move out in the trot, or really the canter either. This may have been covered up in the past by the fact that for a while I was shutting down his trot and not letting him move out freely. Tonight when I'd ask him to trot out, it just didn't happen. I would have tried lengthenings on the diagonal (he thinks these are fun!), but I only really had a 20-m circle's worth of arena because someone overwatered it and there were some nasty slick spots in the rest of the arena.

So do I risk a medium tree, which may run a bit wide, on a saddle that otherwise seems to fit him and me? How do I know that the price I offered and the seller is now willing to take is not still too high? Egads, nerve-wracking.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if your offer was accepted, I thought you were committed to buy it.

That said I have bought a saddle on a hunch and thankfully it worked, in fact better than any of the suggested saddles by the fitters but it still a chance. if you are getting the saddle for a really good deal and it doesn't work you should be able to resell it.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if your offer was accepted, I thought you were committed to buy it.
    Clarification - the offer was rejected some 3 weeks ago, the seller has emailed me saying they would accept that same offer now. I'm under no obligation at the moment.

But there's the rub - I don't think it's a *really* good deal. If it were, I'd be more confident. If even Trumbull is selling a "very good" condition saddle for less... Heck, seems they were less NEW some years ago.

Anyway, thanks. I'll keep my money this time. I think Saturday I'll be heading to the big consignment shop, which I just realized has a brick-and-mortar store.

Do you think you can get your money out of it if you put it back on ebay? If not I would pass personally. Just me.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"