The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good eventing saddles

I am getting back into eventing after doing Hunter/jumpers for a few years. I have a Pessoa, and i think it would be fine for tadpole, but anything above that i'm afraid that it wont have a deep enough seat for cross country. What are some good saddles out there at the moment?

I've done plenty of bigger stuff in the past in a fairly flat Devoucoux. Can't stand the deep seats... I like having the room for drops and such. I suppose it's personal preference though.

I don't think deep is necessary unless it is what you prefer. The saddle I just bought, custom, is actually pretty flat. My preference....easier to move in. There are SO MANY choices out there right now that if you have a saddle that works for you and your horse, stick with it until it doesn't.

I hate deep saddles. I switched over to eventing from jumpers and started with a Pessoa A/O. The only reason I ended up getting a different saddle a couple years later was because I needed a more forward flap.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

If it fits you and the horse and you like it, use the one you have until or unless it definitely shows itself to be unsuitable.
    Click here before you buy.

Just got rid of my deep seated Ainsley Pro National to move into a flatter Pessoa to continue competing at T/move up to Prelim. Needed to not be so restricted.

I love my Devoucoux Chiberta, but it doesn't fit my horse. I tried a Bliss Paramour, didn't like it, and a Black Country Vinici which I love. I think the placement of the stirrup bars mean as much, or more, as the depth of the seat. Just try as many different saddles as you can get your hands on before you make a decision.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I feel a little more secure in a deeper seat. I wont be competing for a while because ive been out of riding for 3-4 years. Its not like i have to have a new saddle soon. Im going to try my pessoa out once i feel comfortable enough to jump again. I'm trying to see whats out there so i have an idea of what i want in the future

Trainer ran around Rolex in a flat Pessoa. I personally don't like them as they don't fit my leg, but they would be fine.

Pessoa makes a monoflap event saddle now:
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Pe...lid=CMvf5uzp0L

Also another Pessoa Event saddle with dual flap:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/pessoa...nt--6537p.aspx

I personally like my Prestige Eventer. I also like the Barnsby saddles, I liked the Diablo and the Schockemohle personally but both were not easy to flat in. I would not buy it if you only could have one saddle. They do have other nice models though.

You really have to know what you want. Have you ridden in a deep seat? Mid deep? I personally hate to be constrained and even my eventer sometimes feels a bit deep, bit never too constrictive. I personally like flatter seat saddles even for dressage. My Spirig is as deep as my Prestige. You should try some out if you can to get a feel after you start jumping again.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I like a mid deep seat. i like the little bit of room to move, but i still feel secure in the saddle.

I ride in a Devoucoux Biarritz and have been competing at the Preliminary level. Last fall I purchased an OTTB and unfortunately my Devoucoux doesn't fit him since his back is different than my other horse. I broke out my old (circa 1995) Luc Childeric which I had evented other horses with and can't imagine how I did it! Compared to my Devoucoux it's feels so flat and unsupportive. Needless to say I'm looking for a saddle for my new guy that affords me a little more security.

I did have a Prestige Event Saddle that was comfortable to ride in but my horse has shark fin withers and I never felt it fit him correctly.
    Last edited by horsecents; Apr. 17, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added content
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

There are many saddles out there. What I find is that the ones mentioned a lot here fall into four camps: 1) modern style Walsall saddles, typically wool-flocked, often good for TBs; 2) modern style "french" saddles, typically foam panels, but often very comfortable for the rider; 3) random custom saddlers; 4) old school saddles. Some examples of each camp:

1) Black Country Quantum, Richochet or Wexford; County Innovation, Stabilizer; Albion Kontrol; Ryder Saddlery; Heritage Bespoke saddles; Bliss of London (or their 2nd brand, Loxley); Barnsby
    2) Devoucoux Chiberta or others (I rode through preliminary in an Oreka); Antares; CWD: Voltaire (most recent on scene)
    3) David Stackhouse, Borne, Wise-Equestrian (which aren't custom but are a blend of the British and French styles - I ride in one and love it) and I'm sure others will chime in
    4) Passier, Crosby, Berney Bros
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Actually, most xc saddles have pretty flat seats, with swept-back cantles to keep the rider from getting goosed coming off big drops. If you're not eventing at the higher levels, your stadium saddle is often fine for xc. Can't make much in the way of recommendations without seeing the horse, however - can you post a photo?

he isnt offically "my" horse yet. he is still on a trial period but i am most likely going to get him. I dont have many pics of him because i dont have a good camera and the glare from the sun makes it hard to see what the pics look like when you take them. My goal is to get to training level. I guess i like a deeper seat because it makes me feel secure while i am trying to regain my balance after not riding for a few years.

you might be fine in what you have!

XC saddles are not always deep seated.

It just depends on what you like.
    I like hugazoid front and back blocks and a totally flat seat.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

If you are starting at Tadpole, XC is not exactly going to be blinding speed through turns with big tables, so really, you shouldn't need a new saddle. Of course, it always depends on your jumping comfort level, but I really didn't need anything special as long as it fit me and horse through BN and into N. If you just WANT a new saddle, then what is right for you will depend on you and your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

the most important thing besides fit for the horse is your ability to feel balanced in two point while galloping or even trotting and be able to get yourself easily out of the saddle for over fences. You shouldn't feel behind the balance or center of the seat as it will require too much effort. As long as you could still be in good balance, (think someone pulling your horse out from under you and there you are, still standing), then good. If you feel your seat is too deep or you are in a chair seat then you'll make xc that much harder and less effective. I event and the majority of eventers I know, even many upper level jump in their stadium saddles as long as they feel balanced. The majority are by far close contact but a few are all purpose, particularly for those who want more security or like to Hunt. Most of the close contact saddles will have a more open seat and forward flap. Sometimes saddles are called event saddles and in fact are all purpose with a straighter flap such as Black Country's GP Event saddle. That can make things confusing for some, while the Black Country Tex Eventer has a more forward flap but also has an extended cantle for drops and so on.

I just bought a Prestige Roma which has a fairly flat seat with a more forward flap.

I did have a Santa Cruz which was ok for Novice but had to fight it slightly.

I am currently doing training and the flatter seat helps with the down banks and longer spots that I seem to miss. It defintiely is more beneficial.