The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches for super thin legs?

I am in need of some new riding breeches to wear for everyday riding. I have had the same ones since I was 16. I am now 30. Problem is I am a slender girl with super tiny legs and all the breeches I try have too much material from the knee down. I am 5ft 4in so kids wont work. I would love to know of any brands that may work for me. Thanks for any help!

Try Equine Couture
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Have you tried kids breeches? I only ask because I'm 5'1'' and the kids breeches I have tried on are still quite long on me - not any shorter than the adult versions (in a larger kids size versus small adult size.)

ETA: Plus you can usually get away with breeches being a little short because you are putting them in tall boots.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I second Equine Couture for slimmer builds.

Third Equine Couture! I am not heavy/thick-legged by ANY means but i can barely get the dang things over my calves!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Have you tried kids breeches? I only ask because I'm 5'1'' and the kids breeches I have tried on are still quite long on me - not any shorter than the adult versions (in a larger kids size versus small adult size.)

ETA: Plus you can usually get away with breeches being a little short because you are putting them in tall boots.
    The knee patch becomes a concern for adults trying to fit into kids.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

In terms of show breeches, I found pikeur to run a little slimmer. Equine Couture runs really small in the thigh.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Another Equine Couture suggestion. I actually just said something to DH last night when I got home from the barn about how much I like them b/c they actually fit my legs!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I agree with everyone on the EC - I'm a 13" calf and can barely get the dang things past my calf. I think I got them on once and it started popping the stitching out of the knee patch. Was a little bit depressing, actually!

Echoing the suggestion to try kids. Am 5'4" and about 100lbs and wear TS kids size 14 breeches. Just make sure you get something with a little stretch.

And you purchase ladies size correct?

Agree! I just went through this, also. I bought some Baker breeches by Equine Couture and love everything about them. HOWEVER..they said they "run small" so suggested I get a 26 over a 24, which is my size. Nope, they run true to size the 26 fits exactly as a 26 should so I am all cinched up with a belt, LOL. Next time I will just buy my size. I adore the fabric too. For outside the show ring I just bought some Tuff Riders in a 24L, they are snug, long enough, and look great. I got the taupe which is more of a mocha in full seat and even then they were only $59 and they wash up awesome. The knee patch maybe around $40 or so. So these are 2 definite brands to look at for skinny legs The Tuff Riders fit better on the waist, the Baker/Couture run a little bigger in the hip however a belt will handle that...

You might try the new Tredstep breeches. They run very slender through the leg and have a silky stretch panel in the lower leg instead of velcro that you can never get snug enough and then you end up with an uncomfortable lump!