Default Horse/House/Dog Sitting -- Price?

I am watching someone's house, two dogs, and two horses for 7 days. She asked how much I wanted, but I honestly don't have a clue. The horses are pretty simple to take care of... feed both in their stalls and once finished, let them back out with hay (pasture is connected to the stalls) and one horse does need medication administered into its eye twice a day. I will be staying at her house since I live 30 minutes away and work 40 minutes, which might even be about 50 minutes with traffic (which, I never deal with... my commute is only 15 with bad traffic).

Any ideas what to ask for?

I house/horse/cat sat for a woman. Three horses, two cats, watch the house, easy stalls (in-and-outs), pick paddocks. This was in the suburbs of Boston and about 4 years ago. I used to get 50 a day, but I'd ask for more now.

I also worked for a professional dog-sitting company, and just so you know, they charge about $65 per calendar day for ONE DOG and house sitting. They are licensed/insured though.

I imagine it might depend a little on where you live, but I'd ask for about $65 - $80 a day depending on the person/place/set-up.

I get $50 a day for house/pet sitting. If it were to involve horses, I would expect more, depending on what was involved with the horses.

Depends on your area, I was getting 45-50 before I moved and now I would get about 35-40 for that, different demographic. A lot of the time I'll ask what they have paid in the past and what they think is fair. If it's reasonable and I have no other clients i'm like ok deal, if it's a low ball I'll say that i'm sorry that wont work give them a counter offer and remind them this so my only job lol. (not insanely professional I'm aware but it works for me)

I'd charge at least $45/day for that. I petsit for several families, and the price depends on the number and type of animals plus location. I have one client with two cats, one dog, one horse and one pony. They're fairly close to where I work, so I charge $35/day. If they lived more than 20 minutes away, the price would go up. I wouldn't factor the eye treatment into it either--it's nothing extravagant or particularly time consuming.

I pay $50/day for almost exactly that.

This is difficult because if you were to board 2 dogs, 2 horses I'd say they would be looking at close to 100.00 a day. At that rate vacation could be out of the question for many people so for me it would depend on my relationship with the person. If living out of your home is a good thing (I used to let my barn owners daughter house/dog sit who lived at home and thought it was a bonus to live away from home for a few days) so she didn't get paid or ask for anything for staying at my house. I paid her 200.00 for a weekend Friday PM though Sunday pm YEARS ago with a stocked freezer and fridge. One thing about pet sitting, being able to trust your sitter not to trash your home, to take care of the critters and knowing your critters are in good hands is priceless to me. I could not go on vacation with out knowing they were in good hands and willing to pay for that peace of mind. Or you can break it down in to hours figuring 2 horses 2 dogs and extra commute time at least 4 hours a day at 15.00 per hour, with a stocked fridge!

Administering the eye medication would be a major part of the equation for me. I pay 40/day for 4 horses, 1 mini donkey, 3 dogs and 1 cat. The sitter doesn't stay here though (comes over twice a day), and there is no stall cleaning. If everything goes smoothly she can do it all in under an hour, and part of that time is just hanging out waiting for one old guy to finish eating (he's the only one that has to be locked up separately). I'd pay extra if she had to do the medication.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I get paid $50.00/day for house sitting 2 dogs. I agree with others in that the eye medication part does warrant an additional fee. Maybe an extra $15.00, more if the horse is difficult.
    Last edited by jenm; Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I currently pay $50/day for house/dog sitting. I would expect to add at least another $20/day to that for straight up feeding & watering for horses, and more still if stall cleaning & medications are involved.
    You hope to pay less than you would if you had to board the dogs and horses, but having a reliable house & pet sitter is priceless!

Thanks everyone!! This definitely helps to give me a MUCH better idea of what to charge. I like to consider myself reliable, since I am taking care of the 10 horses at our barn across the street 3 days a week (two of which belong to the lady that I am house/horse/dog sitting for). She is already planning two more vacations during the summer where I will be back again

I pay $50/night for someone to spend the night at my house and take care of all the animals.

Edited to add that "all the animals" includes a dog, a cat, and two equines. Oh, and he keeps the bird feeders filled, too.