The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Horse Related Suggestion to Help Victims of the Boston Tragedy

Perhaps you are as deeply saddened as I am by the tragedy at the Boston Marathon. So many people and their families lives changed forever in a moment.

Would COTHers be interested in donating to Boston area therapeutic riding programs to fund equine therapy for those who have been directly harmed and their families? It might be too soon now, but I want to raise the idea while the incident is fresh in our minds and hearts.

I am (personally) impressed by Windrush Farm (http://windrushfarm.org/), which has implemented a wonderful program for veterans and their families to help them with their physical and psychic wounds, many of which have been replicated in a non-combat setting in Boston. There may be other excellent programs as well. Please feel free to add them here!

When COTHers decide to support something worthy, their strength and impact is awesome. Would this be an appropriate use of "the power"?
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

What a great idea! I agree that it might be early for the victims to start looking for equine therapy. So many people have been critically hurt and will need multiple surgeries and time to heal before they will be ready for rehabilitation. I wonder if the organization, Horses Helping People Massachusetts, (http://www.horseshelpingpeoplema.com/) could set up a general fund that people could donate to and victims could benefit from. That way people outside the Boston area could find a farm nearby that provides equine assisted therapy and hopefully have some money to help them.

Such a horrible tragedy. Thank you for thinking of these people.

Windrush is the real deal, folks. I volunteered there and took lessons there when I was returning to riding, and even had the honor of praise from Marge Kittredge while she was still able to be involved in the program. I highly recommend them!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

While I'm sure this is a worthy and noble cause, I think it's a bit premature to suggest equine therapy to the victims of the Boston bombings, many of whose injuries are not yet even stable. JMHO

VTMorgan and Budrow, I agree that it's early, but we tend to forget to be there when time has passed (Or at least I do!).

All I wanted to do was plant a seed while the thought was fresh in my mind in the hopes that it would take roots in other minds as well.

And QuietAnn, thanks for volunteering at Windrush. Their Horses4Heroes program incorporates family equine therapy as well, and might be of particular benefit to all the families affected by Monday's events.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.