The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can't get dog pee smell out of antique oriental rug!

I have a 100-year-old+ oriental rug that the dog unfortunately peed on ONCE on a rainy and particularly cold day this winter when he decided he did not want to go out. He has not peed it on since (someone is virtually always home with him, so I say this with almost 100 percent certainty).

I've treated the spot with Eliminate, Nature's Miracle, Resolve, and even good old baking soda, but I can't seem to get the smell to go away.

It's a very valuable rug, but I just can't stand its stench now! Help?

Would a dilute solution of White Vinegar have any effect? I used it with success for my elderly dogs mishaps.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

[edit]

Anyway, HalfArabian, I haven't tried that yet. How much do you dilute it?
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 16, 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: reference to deleted post

1 members found this post helpful.

If I read right you are in NY? I'm sure there must be oriental and/or antique rug dealers there, you may want to call them you don't want to damage the fibers or stitching, you may have to resort to professional cleaning
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Quote Originally Posted by SPF10 View Post
    If I read right you are in NY? I'm sure there must be oriental and/or antique rug dealers there, you may want to call them you don't want to damage the fibers or stitching, you may have to resort to professional cleaning
    Well, while it is a valuable rug (the pattern is apparently rare), I should also mention that it's already quite worn—we like our rugs with a lot of wear to them, so I don't mind attempting a few things at home before resorting to spending several hundred dollars to have it professionally cleaned... as unfortunately, that's how much it costs here.

Is it possible to take it outside when there is good weather predicted for a few days, and really soak it down with a hose and a vinegar/baking soda solution and then let it dry in the sun? I'm assuming it's wool so it would need about 48 hours to dry after that, but you really need to get the area soaked thoroughly all the way through the backing. You need something like a toilet-bowl brush to really scrub the vinegar/baking soda into it from both sides.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Put a layer of sweet pdz on it for a few days after a good rinsing.

I keep recommending the stuff and nobody ever responds in the slightest but it really works! Six cats in the house, no pee smell.

What is sweet pdz and where do you get it?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

It's at the feedstore-it's meant for stalls but it works anywhere there is pee. I put it in the litter boxes and critter cages.

One closet in our house had been peed in by a cat before we were here-hardwood floors. So I put a thick layer of the PDZ in there and left it for a week or so and then swept and vacuumed it up. The cats never even go sniff in there any more, the smell is totally gone.

I love the stuff!

http://www.sweetpdz.com/other-uses.html

With vinegar/water mixtures I use white vinegar, and cut it about half with water. Test on the underside of the rug to see what it does to the color. However, I think I'd try Cowboymom's suggestion first.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'd bite the $ bullet and bring it to an oriental rug cleaner. I've used the same guy my mother did, going on 50 years, and I've grown up with old orientals, dogs, and cats. My guy is worth every penny. I'm sure you can find a great one in the city, one who knows how to handle the old ones with respect and restraint.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yay! Validation!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Is it possible to take it outside when there is good weather predicted for a few days, and really soak it down with a hose and a vinegar/baking soda solution and then let it dry in the sun? I'm assuming it's wool so it would need about 48 hours to dry after that, but you really need to get the area soaked thoroughly all the way through the backing. You need something like a toilet-bowl brush to really scrub the vinegar/baking soda into it from both sides.
    I don't know if it is recommended but a friend of mine used to do that with her carpet. She would put them on a clean concrete patio and hose them off.

Another thought: are you sure the smell is in the carpet and didn't soak into the floor?

Go to your vets and get professional kennel odor eliminator that they use. The stuff my vet uses is called KOE. It actually breaks the scent molecule. It is expensive but it works. Ask me how I know. Good luck.

Default Don't Do It Yourself!

Voice of experience here. Find a Professional Rug Cleaner. Not a Stanley Steamer type, but one knowledgeable about orientals. My parents have a big old Karastan that a cat thought was her litter box. Dad, being the cheapskate he is, decided that after doing some research, he could do just as good a job as the pros. I don't remember if he used vinegar, it was something like that, but the colors in the rug faded and ran. The rug isn't completely ruined, but is just a shadow of it's former self. My mother almost killed him, and several years since then she is still ticked about it.

Thanks, everyone! I tested some vinegar in the corner last night, just to be sure, and it looks like it's fine. Going to look into the KOE and the Sweet PDZ.

I've smelled the hardwood underneath and don't smell anything there, so I hope it's not there.

If it is the hardwood underneath you can use the KOE on that as well. I use it on everything and have yet to ruin a fabric. I even put it in the wash with pet laundry and barn clothes. I also put it into our carpet cleaner. I cant live without it, and stock up for spring cleaning.(which I have just started.) I even put my damask drapes in the washer with it. Remember it must touch the odor molecule to break it, therefore getting rid of the smell.

Sweet PDZ, what a great idea!!

I was going to recommend baking soda, but I see it was used and didn't work. Too bad. How long did you leave it?? My border collie had three back-to-back stressors (SO's deployment, I went away for a weekend, and then 4th of July) and developed a RAGING case of diarrhea...which he hid from me. In the guest room. It took me 30 minutes to track down the smell when I noticed it, and ohhh deeeeeear gaaaawd. If it had been blood, it would have looked like a murder scene. Halfway up the wainscoting, the dust ruffle on the bed, the carpet... I tried all the commercial stuff, including the enzyme killers, on the carpet to no avail. I was going to just rip up the carpet and pad and deal with sub floor until SO (now DH) got back, but a friend calmed me down and suggested baking soda. I poured a whole box in there, on and off the spots he desecrated, and just closed the door for a WEEK.

Smell gone!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.