The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Question How Do You Connect To The Internet?

I have cable-based Internet. Other COTH-folk might use DSL, 3G/4G Wireless, fiber providers, cable-based Internet, or dial-up. What do you use?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Right now I'm using ViaSat satellite. I've just been told that by next year we will finally have FIOS in the boonies. Woot woot. The roll out is internet first, then phone and TV. I can't wait to see my bills drop, drop, drop.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Horrible satellite internet. I don't think we have high speed anything coming our way in the near future, so I'm going to $witch to a Verizon 4G $etup because I'm sick of being unable to so much as watch youtube due to speed. The Verizon signal is really strong where we are, and the only one I know of which is strong in our area.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

ATT DSL. It's pretty cheap and pretty reliable, but when my mom had it in town it was faster there (she could also get comcast cable, but that's a different story).
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Centurylink DSL. Very reliable and the only time I notice the speed is with HD video. But selecting normal definition solves that.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Dial-up. I don't have any wireless devices, satellite is NOT fast enough to be worth eight times what I pay for dial up, and I haven't called Frontier about their high-speed yet (they just put in fiberoptic cable) until my new paychecks are coming in. And then it'll depend on can I get it, keep my phone line, and NOT have to get their stupid DISH Network? I hate Dish. I have DirecTV because they have TVG and Dish does not.

iPhone or broadband card works pretty well. Too far in the boonies for anything else
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

iPhone cellularly currently, iPad w/DSL at home, and my beloved iMac via cable at work.

Verizon FIOS. Love, love, love it. It has gone down maybe three times in the four years I've had it. If you have a question you can call and get a real, live human being in America, because they have not outsourced their tech support.

We had Comcast previously and they were horrible. Always crashing, had to spend hours on hold for assistance.

Highly, highly recommend.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Wildblue satellite, the cheap version.

How would Verizon internet work?
    I have Verizon IPhone and the internet works thru that, but can't hardly see in that little screen, so is mostly useless.

I need something that works with a regular sized laptop.

Wildblue gets the hiccups regularly, especially on weekends, making posting ... interesting.

You would get a USB modem from Verizon or buy one that is compatible with their service. It works just like your cell phone does.

Bluey, my Verizon is fiberoptic cable run directly to my house. If you are really rural it is probably not available to you.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    You would get a USB modem from Verizon or buy one that is compatible with their service. It works just like your cell phone does.
    Would that be a little router, like Wildblue provides?

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Bluey, my Verizon is fiberoptic cable run directly to my house. If you are really rural it is probably not available to you.
    Yes, we have old copper wires, no go on any fiberoptic, too far from the main station for them to want to spend that money and I don't blame them, with new wireless out there covering so much more now.

Such things exist but you would not use that unless you needed a home network to go with it. Many USB modems now have wireless hotspot functionality so you can get a wireless network to share the connection with other computers that use WiFi.

Although we have satellite TV we use the local cable company for Internet access.

Comcast. Unfortunately, the only real option where I live. The service has been fine, but their prices are ridiculous and continually on the rise. My neighborhood does not have FIOS, and we are not allowed to mount dishes on my apartment building.

I live in the boonies too. I use PDANet+ to tether my phone and laptop.

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Comcast. The only option in the area that provides the speed required in this household (home of someone who plays computer games, and someone who works on them.) Which is unfortunate. I'd vastly prefer FIOS, but not yet available here.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Time-Warner cable for internet, phone and TV. Frontier has a really good offer going right now for the three combined, and I'd switch in a minute, but, I can't get Dish TV here because of all of the trees that surround the house. I wish that there was more than one cable company around here so that the competition would, hopefully, bring the price down.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.