The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best ready to use stock or bullion?

What's your favorite?

I have people coming over for dinner on Friday and I'm tired of the bullion I use. Its not bad, but I think there is room for improvement.

I went to the trendy, hoity toity small grocer to check out ready made stock, and there are too many choices! Ack need input please lol.

I don't have time to make my own, nor do I have storage space in my freezer.

Ask hoity toity grocer for a recommendation? Show them the recipe. Also, most stores carry Chicken base, Beef base, Pork base, and Seafood base. I find they have more flavor than bullion and less salt. The kind I use is called 'Better Than Bullion' it is sold on Amazon so you can see what it looks like.
    Wal Mart carries it, and Win Dixie.

Better Than Bullion is what my MIL uses and she is a fantastic cook so my money is on that!

1 members found this post helpful.

I, too, vote for Better Than Bullion!! I've only used the chicken, but it hasn't failed me yet! Plus, I prefer the texture to regular bullion cubes.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

If you looking for the healthiest: I/my mom cook very low fat and low salt, so we go with Rachel Ray's Low Sodium Chicken Stock. Only 135mg per cup, as apposed to 600mg+ of other brands.

Other than that, I have no input, sorry!

Kindred, thanks for the suggestion, not too worried about healthy, looking more for tasty or "tastes like homemade".

So Better than Bullion? I guess it is better huh? LOL. I've been using Herb Ox for ages, but I want a richer flavor. Relative unanimity on COTH is rare, will have to check it out.

Anyone ever use Medford Farms boxed stock?

Stock is dead easy to make yourself.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetua...th-youll-make/

I always have at least a gallon in the fridge, and it also freezes great.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Stock is dead easy to make yourself.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetua...th-youll-make/

I always have at least a gallon in the fridge, and it also freezes great.
    And you can reduce it way down, to concentrate the flavor. Watch your initial salt and spice additions though, because they will also concentrate.

For storebought, Better Than Bullion is pretty good, though its salty so be judicious when adding salt to anything.

For the boxes/cans of broth, I do like 365 brand Organic from Whole Paycheck, err, Foods, and Pacifica Organic Low Sodium Chicken is go-ood.

Ya, I don't have time to make it from scratch or storage space to freeze it.

I love making my own—it's so incredibly easy—but when I don't have time, I like the Kitchen Basics brand and Imagine Foods.

Have you tried Swanson low fat, reduced Sodium? Also, Wyler's low Sodium powdered chicken or beef bouillon?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

trader joes has the best broth/best prices, if you are lucky enough to have a trader joes.

(as opposed to unlucky enough to have nasalberry on the same planet)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    trader joes has the best broth/best prices, if you are lucky enough to have a trader joes.

(as opposed to unlucky enough to have nasalberry on the same planet)
    yeah, WTF is wrong with her? I freakin' live in Boston, I work downtown, I had to ride the T with Staties and assault rifles and National Guard AND I freaking know a whole bunch of people who were there, including one who was hurt - took some shrapnel in her leg - and I don't have the right to come on here and ask about something harmless???? WTF.

Thank you everyone for the stock/ bullion suggestions. I am heading back to the store on Thursday night and will check out the suggestions!

I use low sodium/fat chicken broth/stock when I need liquid, store brand, Knorr or Maggie powder, preferably beef when I need seasoning. But I grew up on those. You find that in the Hispanic section of the grocery store.

But if you have time, do make your own. You can't beat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

J Christ Nasalberry... I am sorry but I need something to keep my mind off it. It is horrifying. Sorry our methods of dealing with this are so offensive.

Not to really slap at you but you wonder why you're having a hard run lately... You sure don't seem like a real joy to be around. Negativity breeds more negativity, so lay off it.

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    J Christ Nasalberry... I am sorry but I need something to keep my mind off it. It is horrifying. Sorry our methods of dealing with this are so offensive.

Not to really slap at you but you wonder why you're having a hard run lately... You sure don't seem like a real joy to be around. Negativity breeds more negativity, so lay off it.

I think you fell into the stock pot.

This is the boullion thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sorry she posted here too and the other got locked. Bit of a knee jerk reaction!

To be more on topic our local butcher shop carries chicken and beef stock... I am dieing to try it. Do you have any local butcher shops near you? Might be really good!

I really like better than bullion

Better than boullion is my go to broth base.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Another one for Better Than Bullion! I use the Chicken BTB all the time and I just picked up the mushroom over the weekend (but have yet to use it...smells amazing though!). As others have said, it is very salty, but I'm not one to use much salt in my cooking so it's not a big deal.

Probably one of my favorite BTB uses is on baked potatoes. I'll use a little goat's milk butter for the fat but then I add about 1/8-1/6th a teaspoon per potato and it gives it an awesome flavor.

I've also been toying with the idea of making my own stock with duck (I've recently discovered the joy and ease of roasting whole duck). Doesn't seem too complicated and I think it would be a great compliment to any recipe that calls for chicken/poultry stock.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.