The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Watching the Tragedy

I find it hard in this modern world, to strike a balance in getting information when disasters strike.

Once I know basically what happened, I dont tend to watch for all the guessing and sad stories. So I tend to avoid a lot of the stories as much as I can. I try to just get the necessary facts but can feel like I am drowning in horrible news when every source is covering it for days and days.

What about you? How much information do you need? How much of the sad details do you want?

I'm with you. I just want to know the facts. I get tired of the media just rehashing things over and over again.

Very very little. I avoid it too. It seems like voyeurism to me.

I am one of those that watch all of the news. I didn't during 9/11, I was working and taking care of my 3 year old and my baby. I found out things after the fact and it made me want to know everything, because it is calming to know more than less for me. I become more anxious if I don't know the news. I also pull articles and save them to understand, I did this all during the economic crisis in September 2008 as well, it is calming to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I totally agree. Watching the carnage over and over is beyond upsetting. My own mental health requires a respite.

I like to hear the news and keep up with what is going on. But, I hate hearing the same things over and over. Once we know what has happened, an update with new information is all I need, or want. I hate seeing the same horrible video over and over.

I agree with you. I want to know the facts, but the excessively graphic video and photo content is too much for me. It feels disrespectful to the people pictured and it does feel like media is trying to hook people for ratings.

Generally, I stick to digital newspapers for news content and I avoid TV news.

I think they do overshow the carnage, but it's such a compelling story that I can't stop watching. The stupidity of some of the news people is so awful. Some spread all types of rumors, report fiction that was disproven hours before as fact, and generally do anything for ratings.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I don't need or want any details apart from the simple "what happened". I am now more interested in finding out when they are going to get the SOB, and how soon they can put them to electric chairs, as cheaply as possible. I don't want to feed and house them.

I think the extensive coverage and attention is in large part the motivation behind the violence so I won't watch it. I will read the headlines on a news website and that's enough for me.

I don't have Broadcast or cable TV in the home, this sort of thing is one reason. I get a feed on my home page but it is more something that I can look up and find out what I want to know. Agree that it's done for attention, don't think that censorship is an answer but neither is rehashing limited information over and over.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I had to turn it off, I got tired of the bloody sidewalk pictures and the video of the 2 women laying on the ground.
    I also agree with the poster that said the attention in some ways drives people to do this.
    It also scares me more knowing some radicalist group has not taken resposibility for this. I guess the enemy you don't know is scarier than the enemy you do.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

In most cases, I agree with you. I just want the facts, not convoluted rumors and repetitions, and that's it. Yesterday was different- maybe because that is home and I wasn't there, maybe because I had family and good friends at the finish with whom I was unable to connect for several hours, maybe because it made me feel like I wasn't alone at the time, who knows. I hated the videos of the carnage and the photos, but I was glued to the news for hours.

Like I said, I usually tend to be in the same camp as the rest of you, avoiding most of the television broadcasts and online news. Interesting how differently these types of situations can impact us...

I too don't like the extensive coverage of limited information. I stopped watching news about 7 years ago, and I definitely don't miss it. Now when I see the news it seems overblown and theatrical to me. I much prefer clicking onto BBC news on the internet if I'm interested.

Somewhere I read that we waste a lot of time watching/listening to/reading "news" that doesn't really affect us. The suggestion was to wait until lunchtime and then ask someone if anything interesting happened in the world today. Chances are, they'll tell you.

Yesterday I was making tea in the break room when someone told me about the bombing. So I stay pretty well-informed without even trying.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng