The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stockpiling ammo

I work in retail and we have a sporting goods area. After the Newtown school shooting people began flooding the department purchasing as much ammo as they could buy in one trip. We had to enforce how many boxes people can buy per day in order to serve as many customers as possible.

These people will come DAILY to buy ammo every day of the week for weeks now.

They are convinced that our company is in league with Obama and deliberatly restricting the amount of ammo we carry until Obama gets around to making a law about taking guns away. They get angry when the shelves are empty.

Sure there are people who are law enforcement or just want to target shoot, but the daily trips to buy box after box is a little scary. What are they planning on doing with all that ammo? Do they really think the government is going to take their guns away?

In reality supply is simply unable to keep up with the surge in demand and if we could keep the shelves stocked it would really help our sales.

Well, that's hysteria for you.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

1 members found this post helpful.

There's no change here in Central PA. Plenty of ammo, haven't seen any empty shelves. I guess if we really thought they'd be pulling ammo from the shelves we'd be buying it too, we know how to reload though ;-)
    Kerri

In Virginia, lots of empty shelves. Stuff is slowly becoming more common, but police forces are having trouble buying ammo (not that 1.6 billion rounds purchased could enter into shortages...and these rounds were not bought from military producers, these are all illegal for military to use).

In case anyone recalls the gas "crisis" in the 1970's...people waiting in line every morning to top up their tanks. Crazy lines and prices for what turned out to be scalping and a fake shortage. I was caught in the Poconos and couldn't get home since I had MD tags and PA being a contiguous state meant that on an odd day I couldn't buy gas since I had even tags...and I couldn't get home and got to spend the night in a hotel.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

What are various government departments (like the Weather service?) doing stockpiling thousands of rounds of ammo? I'm a lot less worried about civilians rightly concerned that they won't be able to get any (especially in particular calibers) than why the government thinks they need to stock up that badly--what do they know we don't?

2 members found this post helpful.

beans, batteries and bullets--I know people who are stockpiling these, as well as rice and sugar and seeds. I want wine of course!

Pistol ammo and rimfire is in short supply around here, although there were several boxes of .45ACP at WalMart Monday. What I can't find is target or match grade .22LR rounds. The popular hunting rifle calibers are mostly in stock.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Yes, the .22lr and the 223 ammo seems to be in high demand. I have seen people come in daily for over a month to purchase 3 boxes of ammo a day. Add that up.

Where on earth did you read that the weather service is stock piling ammo? LOL. Maybe to fend off all those pissed off people when it snows a foot and was supposed to snow an inch.

2 members found this post helpful.

My brother-in-law's house is a veritable arsenal. He's got enough guns and ammo to overthrow a small island nation. Seriously - the basement and two guest rooms are full of ammo cans and there are at least two fully loaded guns at every window. And he thinks he still doesn't have enough bullets.

To further complicate matters, he has also started storing gas cans. That house is a damn death trap. If it ever catches fire people within a half-mile radius are going to end up getting shot, and no way will the fire department risk their guys in that kind of a situation. The house will burn to the ground.

For your reading entertainment....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/ssabullets.asp